Happiness and its effect on society...

Child of Time said:
If A = B and B = C, then A = C. Fundamental logic.

If life is just a silly game (A = B) and silly games usually suck (B = C) then life sucks (A = C).

Is this what you wanted to say, xenophobe? :err:
err... for the most part, yes. :p

Life is a game, you must play by the rules fairly, even if you play fair, the game will not be.... yadda yadda... you=bingo :loco:

I was quite tired, and re-reading my post I see I left out quite a few sentences that I was thinking. :lol:

xenophobe said:
err... for the most part, yes. :p

Life is a game, you must play by the rules fairly, even if you play fair, the game will not be.... yadda yadda... you=bingo :loco:

I was quite tired, and re-reading my post I see I left out quite a few sentences that I was thinking. :lol:

the goal is spit on the game and then go out and make your own rules

Nah, I need to follow the laws of society, earn money to consume, and live a regular routine.

I'd rather not be some freak locked up in jail kthx. :p

Guerrilla said:
Yeah it does work like that. If you have no problems in your life, lots of money, etc. why would you look past your happy world and acknowledge the millions of people living in misery.

The "most unhappy misanthropic people" were probably not born hating the world. They've come to be misanthropic through their experiences and interaction with society. In today's individualistic society with an "every man for himself" mentality that makes you feel helpless, I don't blame anyone for giving up and stop trying. Unlike happy, ignorant people though, these unhappy misanthropes are aware of the problems. This might not mean that they'll all get together and start a revolution, however as more and more people become unhappy and miserable, the chances of us all waking up and getting our asses out there and doing something about it increase.

Will anything like that happen on a massive scale any time soon? No way. But at least if you can't change society for the better, you can make it even more shitty and miserable, open more people's eyes and wait for everybody to get pissed off. That's where these unhappy misanthropes fit into this whole thing. On the other hand, "happy" people with an understanding of the world's problems can continue their crusades, trying to right wrongs. Nothing will be accomplished on such a small scale. But if you feel you are helping, well whatever floats your boat.

"Yeah it does work like that. If you have no problems in your life, lots of money, etc. why would you look past your happy world and acknowledge the millions of people living in misery."

Uuuuuuuuuuh, plenty of people do. Call it compassion, call it whatever. I know many many people that are quite happy, yet do huge things to improve the lives of others. For some that is why they are happy, because they help people, and continue to. Just because some people are selfish, doesn't mean that happiness automatically breeds blindness. In fact, many people who are in fact misanthropic are selfish in themselves, for mainly focusing on their own problems and hating the world, rather than doing something about it.

"The "most unhappy misanthropic people" were probably not born hating the world. They've come to be misanthropic through their experiences and interaction with society."

Uh, yeah its called adolescense... some people mature and get over it, some don't. Most people realize that the world isn't as bad as it seems, sure theres a lot of shitty things, and a lot of misery, but as long as pessimism is around, these issues will get resolved much more slowly.

"In today's individualistic society with an "every man for himself" mentality that makes you feel helpless, I don't blame anyone for giving up and stop trying. Unlike happy, ignorant people though, these unhappy misanthropes are aware of the problems. "

Hmmm... I for one, and maybe its just me, think its more reasonable to be unaware of problems (though i don't think this is necessarily the case as you say it is) and to be innocently oblivious to whats going on, then to make a deliberate and conscious descision to ignore problems that you are aware of... thats just lazy and selfish.

"This might not mean that they'll all get together and start a revolution, however as more and more people become unhappy and miserable, the chances of us all waking up and getting our asses out there and doing something about it increase

This might not mean that they'll all get together and start a revolution, however as more and more people become unhappy and miserable, the chances of us all waking up and getting our asses out there and doing something about it increase."

Oh, i see, breed this lazy, selfish, unsolving pessimism, and suddenly everyone, in this misanthropic state, will suddenly decide to get out there and help their fellow man?

"On the other hand, "happy" people with an understanding of the world's problems can continue their crusades, trying to right wrongs. Nothing will be accomplished on such a small scale. But if you feel you are helping, well whatever floats your boat."

Its not on such a small scale as you think. And also, some progress is better than lying around, complaining about how unhappy and how much you hate the world. Grow up.

And on that note i realize how much i hate these debates on this board, so this will be my last arguing post in this thread. I bid you adieu.

just because im a pessimist doesnt mean i mope around all day bitching about it. ive got a sense of humor about it and i dont really give a fuck about trying to change things becuase i cant. i just shrug and go on with my fuckin life. im very cynical but im not an unhappy person. not all pessimistic misanthropes are bitter.
-neal

Wolftribe said:
Uh, yeah its called adolescense... some people mature and get over it, some don't. Most people realize that the world isn't as bad as it seems, sure theres a lot of shitty things, and a lot of misery, but as long as pessimism is around, these issues will get resolved much more slowly.
Oh so when you get out of highschool and the only job you can get is flipping burgers at McDonald's it's adolescence. When you get fucked by your company's CEO and lose your job while they get millions, that's adolescence too. I wasn't talking about hormonal imbalances, I was talking about valid problems that can and will affect you regardless of your age or whatever.

Wolftribe said:
Hmmm... I for one, and maybe its just me, think its more reasonable to be unaware of problems (though i don't think this is necessarily the case as you say it is) and to be innocently oblivious to whats going on, then to make a deliberate and conscious descision to ignore problems that you are aware of... thats just lazy and selfish.
No because those who are unaware of problems don't have the potential to do something about them, unlike those who are. Like I said, in today's world it's not easy to just decide to fix what's wrong with society and go do it. Individuals have virtually no control over anything that matters. That's why I said I understand why people may feel discouraged and alone and not being able to do anything about what's bothering them...

Wolftribe said:
i see, breed this lazy, selfish, unsolving pessimism, and suddenly everyone, in this misanthropic state, will suddenly decide to get out there and help their fellow man?
...No, it's not very likely that people will do what they do in order to help others, however they will do it to help themselves. And in helping themselves, they will help others. I don't really care about others, but I do care about myself and will do what I have to to enjoy a better life. So it doesn't matter how it gets done as long as it gets done. Whether it's done out of altruism or egoism, the fact is that it will help everybody. You can't really expect a miserable and pissed off person to care about his fellow man. If things change and he starts enjoying a better quality of life, that's when he'll start thinking about others.

Wolftribe said:
Its not on such a small scale as you think. And also, some progress is better than lying around, complaining about how unhappy and how much you hate the world. Grow up.
Yeah. Well the sad thing is I don't see any progress at all, I think we're all regressing to the middle ages. Also, right now there's not much I can do to change things. I'm being realistic. It's you who needs to grow up and stop living an illusion. What have you done? Hopefully in the future, the ability to make a difference will present itself.

Wolftribe said:
And on that note i realize how much i hate these debates on this board, so this will be my last arguing post in this thread. I bid you adieu.
You're no fun.

I can only speak for myself. I choose one thing I think is wrong, and do what I can do help. No, I can't change a large issue. I can help work with others who share the same problem.

It's probably too much for many people to do...but donate a little of your time. To whoever you choose too. For whatever reason. As long as your intentions are good, you recieve the pleasure of knowing that you TRIED to change one thing. And that you don't have feelings of helplessness that turns into anti social, anti community feelings.

I have donated my time to my local humane society. I have also helped with a money fundraiser. I was alone in the idea of the fundraiser, but with others help, it became a sizeable donation.

I send what money I can spare to one person. One person. I realize I can't change that persons life, but I can try to help change that persons life.

I'm not patting myself on the back. I'm older than alot of you. All I'm saying is..... Your time is valuable. Help kids read, help to clean up and beautify a park, write something nice to someone, or about someone. A tiny bit can go along way.

Pick one thing, and figure out a way to help improve it.

Giggly, laughing teenager will never grow out of their self centeredness till they're at least 22, or later, if at all. You can't change that. That is the way it is. They see the self, and not very often, the "us", whether its locally, in this country, or in the world.

Like I said, do one thing, even if it's tiny. It doesn't matter how small, it's the doing.

I can't remember the last time I was truely happy, so I just make do with what I can get every day, even though I accept that I'll probobly never be happy, so I don't bother with it on the grand scale. if that means there's something wrong with me, so be it.

unlike the rest of society, I enjoy being moderately depressed... the pain of everyday life reminds me that I am human, and that no one is perfect.

Ich bin Laura.
Es guht mir schlect.

Society is a problem that will never be absolved.
Existing is overrated.
People who feel the need to be noticed should be bludgeoned with 2X4s until they realize how little they matter.
This life is just a dream.
We will all wake up some day.

Good day.
*sits down*