Hardest Instrument To Play

Im telling ya its keys, you are basically playing two instruments at once. Then they have all the different tones to switch back and forth from. Its keys ... damn it ! ...... wew. I feel better now.

Playing fingerstyle guitar would pose similar challenges to keys. Learning more instruments will help your playing with all others. I was terrible on the keyboard when I started, and not much better now, but playing drums kinda turned on a lightbulb to playing keys - I didn't think to look at left hand changes as a percussion pattern.

I just had a two hour debate... and I stand by my original argument.... This question is flawed... each instrument presents its ownn challenges... and those challenges are overcome by playing and practicing... once those challenges aren't there, new problems arise... I think music is too realitive to say "this instrument is harder than this one" because how do you compare... what is is based on??? Of course learning to play guitar is easier if you have played cello... (e.g.) or learning to play trumpet is harder if you have never played a wind instrument... so, I say... the question is flawed... NEXT.

It is true every instrument has its own challenges, but some have more and harder ones than others. Like compare the trumpet to the kazoo.

Piano would be pretty fucking hard if you didn't have those black keys, it would take years to get the muscle memory to know each key.

I think violin is up there. Intonation in general is very hard if you don't know what you are doing or don't know what sounds like the right note. You always have to have good bow control and some poeple have a hard time developing vibrato.

double reed instruments are notoriously hard to play. oboe, english horn, bassoon...

that being said, i'd love to learn to play the bassoon. great tone and always in demand by orchestras
~gR~

I've heard claims that there are absurd Chinese instruments that are far beyond other stuff in terms of difficulty of playing.

Actually it's not that hard.I picked up on it within a few days.
I've always thought the same about 'you can't see what your doing' but it's easier than it looks.
Yeah thats true, when you first play guitar you always look at your hand but then there is no need to at all.

music4.gif

I get tired just looking at that.

Are you serious?

Oh yeah I know a hard instrument: the double mijwiz flute, it takes a while before you blow at the right angle to make a balanced sound through both pipes, and then learning circular breathing is also hard.

I know what would be hard, playing a 1/8 sized violin when you're at least 6 feet tall, it would be so hard.

Are you serious?

Oh yeah I know a hard instrument: the double mijwiz flute, it takes a while before you blow at the right angle to make a balanced sound through both pipes, and then learning circular breathing is also hard.

I know what would be hard, playing a 1/8 sized violin when you're at least 6 feet tall, it would be so hard.
dude I can't even put all my fingers where they need to be. 1/4 and 1/2 violins are pretty hard to play as well. I sometimes have to play them at my job and I am embarrassed afterwards. :X

It's all well saying that but you cannot possibly tell by looking at an instrument whether or not it is difficult to play.

photo1200triangle.jpg

This is kind of a generalization but I think the Chinese have the hardest instruments. I mean they already have the hardest language. Theres a bunch of different tones, and talking formally and casually is like speaking a completely different language. English I heard is actually the second hardest language, because of conjugations and grammar rules that don't make sense unless you speak it and compound words, and slangs, and double meanings.

Anyway I wanna learn the Yangqin. Just listen to the sounds you can make with it.