Harry Potter Tribute Mix

hosnappp

Feb 7, 2011
http://www.box.net/shared/csd1spah84zix6zu5vn0

I'm not sure what to improve anymore. I need help from people who are much more experienced and educated in this kind of thing to help me out.

I listen to other mixes and then I listen to mine and I don't know what it is, exactly but it's not the same big/professional sound. And I need that. I strive for it and it bugs me when I'm not there.

I use Amplitube for the guitars with impulses loaded, of course.
Battery + some decent samples(working on getting Steven Slate's.)
Massive for the synths.
No bass(yet).

For the guitars I boost a little at 3k, cut a little at 5k and boost again a little at 8k, I think. (Not at the production computer, but I'll revise if I find out that I'm mistaken on that)

I have a compressor with some gain on every part of the drums, reverb'd everything but the kick to hopefully get some natural sound. I EQ each part just to make it stand out a little more, put xtra bassy freq boosts on the kick.

During breakdowns, I play the center guitar channel open completely to get that kind of chuggy metallic sound. And palm mute the rest. Sometimes I vary this, though. It should be obvious in the sound. To accentuate this or that note, ya know. Dynamics.
3 guitar tracks. You can guess each one. C, L, R.

I know some of my playing isn't very well-done, and I plan on fixing that. The last breakdown sounds terribly awkward. So that's noted.

I love these forums guys, tear this mix apart, PLEASEEE <3
EDIT: Ignore that awful popping noise if you hear it, drop box messed up my file in the upload as I don't hear it at all in the MP3 from my phone. I'll try reuploading.