Has anyone ever tried meditation?

Well, I'm a sceptic. All that stuff is bullshit, I said. I don't believe in psychics, paranormal, UFOs, religion, or anything like that.

So, in an effort to prove that things like that are false, I attempted to meditate last night.

Guess what? It worked.

I can't describe it one bit, but it was amazing. A bit weird at first, but this has opened up a whole new world for me :cool:

Info here, if anyone's interested: http://www.meditationcenter.com/

If you do try it, the only thing I can say is be as open-minded as possible, and expect nothing from it. Don't try too hard, it will come. :)

I used to meditate all the time but now I have a girlfriend.

Oh, you mean THAT type of meditating? No I have never tried, unless you count becoming completely absorbed into Ravi Shankar's music, which is quite amazing.

I used to meditiate regularly but I've been a bit lazy and in lack of time and quiet so I've been slacking off. You would be surprised how much you can learn if you do it right.

i mediate about once a week, it really does help relax the tension in your life.

nemesis_outlawed said:
Well, I'm a sceptic. All that stuff is bullshit, I said. I don't believe in psychics, paranormal, UFOs, religion, or anything like that.

So, in an effort to prove that things like that are false, I attempted to meditate last night.

Guess what? It worked.

I can't describe it one bit, but it was amazing. A bit weird at first, but this has opened up a whole new world for me :cool:

Info here, if anyone's interested: http://www.meditationcenter.com/

If you do try it, the only thing I can say is be as open-minded as possible, and expect nothing from it. Don't try too hard, it will come. :)

You are not only an sceptic, you are also stupid and can condition yourself to feel better. If im stupid enough to believe it whole hearthedly, i could cure myself from a cold by eating shit, thats how the human mind works.

well ur supposed to sort of meditate during power yoga by ur breathing and by keeping a specific gazing point... but i never managed to take it that deep yet. i need to concentrate on staying upright in the positions and stuff. anyway, ive only done about 7 classes. i got a long way ahead of me.
on normal sitting down type meditation, ive got a book with instructions, but its very vague, due to the translation, so i havent managed anything. i'll give this site a shot, sounds extremely interesting

I've meditated off and on for about 17 years now, though for the first 6 years I wasn't doing it "right". In fact, I was at a Buddhist temple just last night with my nephew, who is visiting with me right now, introducing him to the art/practice. When I was 18-19 I meditated daily, several times a day, for nearly a year (I treaded in the 8 fold path), and that was the most defining time in my life, it changed me forever, taught me the meaning of love/compassion and how to deal with rampant desire and the sense of angst which is inherent to the human condition.

Just like core Buddhism, meditation is neither paranormal, supernatural, religious (in the normal sense of the word), or the least bit kooky. It's simply an art of training the mind to be aware and awake, instead of it spinning out of control with random thoughts while the world passes us by. What's more, it works for that purpose, and it works extremely well.

I'm heavy into this, and I think it's extremely beneficial. Like Buddhism, meditation is a form of psychotherapy which quiets the mind and helps cultivate positive awareness which can have positive impacts on every aspect of your life.

Nowadays I mostly do waking meditation while I'm doing stuff like washing dishes or driving on the highway or whatever. I don't have the intention of doing waking meditation, it's just that I spent so long consciously doing it that now it has become a part of me and I do it all the time without even realizing it. It's now just a part of who I am and how I perceive the world. I feel connected with my environment at all times as a result of this practice, and it's a great feeling, abosolutely fearless and infinitely compassionate.

Meditation can help with a lot of the mental problems that plauge all of us and keep us from being content, like fear, rampant desires, frustration, insecurity, anxiety, paranoia, etc. Basically, the idea is that mindspin is the root of these negative feelings/thoughts, and meditation is the cure. That's why it's a form of psychotherapy, one that I think is FAR superior than something like going to a shrink and talking about your "problems" (something I think is rather ridiculous and self-defeating, why "talk about your problems" when you can remove the underlying cause? Why take a pain killer for a thorn in your finger when you can simply pull the thorn out?)

Maybe some of you think I'm kooky, being a devoted irreligious Buddhist and all. I'm not. I'm actually a very skeptical and clear-minded person, and I know for a fact that meditation really really really works. It helps remove those mindspinning bullshit things which keep us from being happy, loving, and compassionate, who we are at the core of our being, that child-like sense of connection and wonderment which was ripped from us by the trials of life. Of course, if you are plauged by some silly religious mythology and you think god is watching and judging you all the time, making you afraid of "letting go" of all that stuff and your sense of personal identity (ego/soul), you must first overcome this confining limitation before you can meditate freely and properly and reap the benefits. Meditation and fear-laced ego-bound superstition (ie. christianity) doesn't mix, it requires a clear and open mind and a sense of selflessness and fearlessness, otherwise your mind will be too plauged by bullshit to meditate properly.

If anyone out there is interested and would like to know more, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. I say that because I think that if everyone took part in this practice and put some effort into cultivating awareness and a feeling of personal connection with the world and everything in it, then unconditional love/compassion would come from within and the world would be a much kinder place to live, even with self-absorbed bible-thumping fools like Bush thrashing those virtues we should all hold dear to our hearts: unconditional love, compassion, and forgiveness.

We can't change the world, but we can change ourselves, and that change can have far reaching effects.

If you have some degree of mental discomfort, fear, upset, inner turmoil, insecurity, unhappiness, etc, believe it or not, as whacky as I'm sure this sounds, meditation can be the cure you are looking for, and I think it's the only thing that *actually* works, actually addresses the root of the problem itself. It's not always fun or easy, but then, most things which are worthwhile usually are not.

Peace,

Satori

By the way, my handle Satori is a Japanese word which comes from Zen Buddhism which literally translates to a flash of non-awareness resulting from meditation. It's also the name of my parrot (I named him after me), and yes, he does say his name, and he sounds really cute when he does :)

Satori

Satori said:
I say that because I think that if everyone took part in this practice and put some effort into cultivating awareness and a feeling of personal connection with the world and everything in it, then unconditional love/compassion would come from within and the world would be a much kinder place to live, even with self-absorbed bible-thumping fools like Bush thrashing those virtues we should all hold dear to our hearts: unconditional love, compassion, and forgiveness.

I have many questions, maybe too much...
Anyway, let's start by this one:
Do you believe that Bush is a really a fool? I mean unquestionably worst than another, less valuable that someone else? Or by fool you meant unconscious of his behavior?

Btw, thank you very much nemesis_outlawed...

Think link will be very useful to me, I can assure you!

changso said:
Do you believe that Bush is a really a fool?
Yes, I think he is the king of fools, too wrapped up in his own ego to see that when he hurts others he is actually hurting himself, cuz beneath the surface we are all an expression of a single reality, we are all the children of the planet we call home, and we are all in this together. Because of this, I feel sorry for Bush, and I wish I could help him past his intellectual limitations and the prison of his own selfish desire. Bush is the kid on the playground who beat up the other kids and take their lunch money. Kids like that are usually the unhappiest of all because they are hated by everyone, including themselves.
I mean unquestionably worst than another, less valuable that someone else?
Worse, yes (because of the consequences of his actions), less valuable, not really, just more deluded and selfish/self-absorbed. Besides, things like "worse" and "less valuable" are merely labels we apply to things, there's a subjective element in that which cannot be overlooked.
Or by fool you meant unconscious of his behavior?
By fool I mean something which may not make much sense to you right now, because is stems from Buddhist philosophy, which is quite against the grain of how most people think of themselves/the world, but what the hell, I'll shoot: He is wrapped up in the delusions of his senses and mistaking them for reality. He's mistaking his mental map for the territory it represents, like most people do, and pretty much all animals do. He's a deeply and fanatically religious man, in the scary/condemning/dangerous/self-righteous way, and as such he is held captive by the illusion of his own segregated ego and the demands of his sadistic and demanding freak of a god. He doesn't feel in harmony with the world, he doesn't feel connected to the world (which he obviously is), he feels the world is something that is completely distinct from himself and that he must dominate it in his own quest for power/happiness. But such selfish motivations do not lead to happiness, they lead only to more rampant desires and unfulfillment.

The attempted attainment of happiness by the feeding of desires is futile and only leads to more unhappiness. Contentment cannot be achieved in that manner. This is because as we gain more and more of what we want we just end up wanting more and more. Perpetual dissatisfaction and a steady increase in what it takes to fulfill us is just who we fundamentally are. Think about it, people think that if only they had a car they would be happy, they mistake their lack of a car as the source of their discontent. Then they get a car and within a few months, after the thrill wears off, they are unhappy again, so then they blame their unhappiness on the fact that they don't have a nice house. So they get a house, but they are still unhappy, now they want more free time or more friends or whatever. It's a viscious cycle with no end. As we feed the monster of selfish desire (aka "the american dream" ) the monster just gets bigger and hungrier, and feeding it becomes increasingly difficult. It's a race we cannot win, and everyone tries and everyone fails because they don't know there is a way out of it, out of that trap. To summarize:

1. To be an intelligent creature with an ego (a sense of a distinct "self") is to be discontent, it's simply part of what is called the "human condition".
2. Rampant desire (unfulfilled wants) is the *root* cause of that discontentment (and no matter how many wants we fulfill we'll always want more, because we are greedy and selfish by nature, it's just who we are, and enough is never enough for very long).

If you see the raw, simple, and highly applicable logic in the previous 2 statements then congradulations, you have just figured out something which remains a mystery to most people: the entire basis of what Buddhism IS and what it endeavours to overcome.

Satori

PS: Btw, the 2 numbered statements above are simply a re-wording of the first 2 noble truths of the Buddha:
1. Existence is suffering
2. The cause of suffering is desire

Satori said:
Yes, I think he is the king of fools, too wrapped up in his own ego to see that when he hurts others he is actually hurting himself, cuz beneath the surface we are all an expression of a single reality, we are all the children of the planet we call home, and we are all in this together. Because of this, I feel sorry for Bush, and I wish I could help him past his intellectual limitations and the prison of his own selfish desire. Bush is the kid on the playground who beat up the other kids and take their lunch money. Kids like that are usually the unhappiest of all because they are hated by everyone, including themselves.

Worse, yes (because of the consequences of his actions), less valuable, not really, just more deluded and selfish/self-absorbed. Besides, things like "worse" and "less valuable" are merely labels we apply to things, there's a subjective element in that which cannot be overlooked.

By fool I mean something which may not make much sense to you right now, because is stems from Buddhist philosophy, which is quite against the grain of how most people think of themselves/the world, but what the hell, I'll shoot: He is wrapped up in the delusions of his senses and mistaking them for reality. He's mistaking his mental map for the territory it represents, like most people do, and pretty much all animals do. He's a deeply and fanatically religious man, in the scary/condemning/dangerous/self-righteous way, and as such he is held captive by the illusion of his own segregated ego and the demands of his sadistic and demanding freak of a god. He doesn't feel in harmony with the world, he doesn't feel connected to the world (which he obviously is), he feels the world is something that is completely distinct from himself and that he must dominate it in his own quest for power/happiness. But such selfish motivations do not lead to happiness, they lead only to more rampant desires and unfulfillment.

The attempted attainment of happiness by the feeding of desires is futile and only leads to more unhappiness. Contentment cannot be achieved in that manner. This is because as we gain more and more of what we want we just end up wanting more and more. Perpetual dissatisfaction and a steady increase in what it takes to fulfill us is just who we fundamentally are. Think about it, people think that if only they had a car they would be happy, they mistake their lack of a car as the source of their discontent. Then they get a car and within a few months, after the thrill wears off, they are unhappy again, so then they blame their unhappiness on the fact that they don't have a nice house. So they get a house, but they are still unhappy, now they want more free time or more friends or whatever. It's a viscious cycle with no end. As we feed the monster of selfish desire (aka "the american dream" ) the monster just gets bigger and hungrier, and feeding it becomes increasingly difficult. It's a race we cannot win, and everyone tries and everyone fails because they don't know there is a way out of it, out of that trap. To summarize:

1. To be an intelligent creature with an ego (a sense of a distinct "self") is to be discontent, it's simply part of what is called the "human condition".
2. Rampant desire (unfulfilled wants) is the *root* cause of that discontentment (and no matter how many wants we fulfill we'll always want more, because we are greedy and selfish by nature, it's just who we are, and enough is never enough for very long).

If you see the raw, simple, and highly applicable logic in the previous 2 statements then congradulations, you have just figured out something which remains a mystery to most people: the entire basis of what Buddhism IS and what it endeavours to overcome.

Satori

PS: Btw, the 2 numbered statements above are simply a re-wording of the first 2 noble truths of the Buddha:
1. Existence is suffering
2. The cause of suffering is desire

If it's what you meant by "fool", yes, I agree with you.

About the statements above, something is bothering me:
2. The cause of suffering is desire.

Damn I'm in a hurry, I'll explain my point later...

I have a question:

Is there any specific way of doing the basic, light meditation? At first I tried just looking at the patterns on my eyelids, and that took intense concentration and took a while before the 'sinking' feeling kicked in. Just now, I imagined a giant cloud of light above my head, and I imagined it all flowing in through the 7th chakra/crown, and very quickly got the spinning/sinking/disoriented feeling. I can do it right now with my eyes open. However, I subconciously tense up my eye muscles, and it feels like I'm flexing my brain (making it feel tired as well)...Soon the sensation spread to my throat, and then to my arms, but I couldn't hold it after that.

My question is: Am I doing this the right way now, or am I just doing some ridiculous? And sometimes the feeling is hard to hold on to, is that normal? Or (when you're first starting) can you just fall into it and stay in it easily?

In a nutshell, I guess, am I doing this right at all?