Have you ever had a psychic reading and do you believe in it?

Worst that could happen is, you get upset because it was actually your pet rabbit that was dead....

yes but don't you think knowing his rabbit is proud of him would be worth it all in the end anyway?

I take no sides in this discussion ... I think some people may be more in tune with things than others. I mean, how many times have you known a person or group of people that are just so friggin blissful in their ignorance of things .. they don't need to know shit about shit? That kinda mentality seems to be hardwired into some people, that adamant tuning out of things around them. Why can't there be some people who are the polar opposite?

It's all bullshit. This is not my opinion, it's a fact.

The card readers (tarot) make me laugh the most. Somehow what used to be card game turned into magic. :loco:

In the future Monopoly will be used to see your path in life. :erk:

Thought I saw a commercial for that already .. where the guy is following the green line around the corner and all :p

What does he risk by saying that to a stranger over the phone? Worst that could happen is, you get upset because it was actually your pet rabbit that was dead.... he then apologises and says the spirits are being naughty today.. and you go on none the wiser to his bullshit cold-reading tactics.

First, at the time he was a 13 year old kid. He didn't "do this one for free but the next one is x amount". Made absolutely, no mention of anything business related.

Second, I initially never asked for any reading. I sent him one message which was something to the extent of "Hey man, just saw you on TV. Pretty bad ass! Keep in touch." and I get a reply saying, "Thanks! Here's my number. Can you call me? I wanna talk to you about something. I don't charge or anything." and then proceeded to talk to me about my recently deceased father with no prior knowledge of it.

You can believe what ya want. I don't judge ya but I don't think you should make a mockery of what others believe. People find comfort in spirituality and if you missed your last chance to tell your dad you loved him or vice versa, I'm sure you'd find some comfort in it too.

You can believe what ya want. I don't judge ya but I don't think you should make a mockery of what others believe. People find comfort in spirituality and if you missed your last chance to tell your dad you loved him or vice versa, I'm sure you'd find some comfort in it too.

Nah. I was there 20 minutes before my dad puked up his breakfast during a fatal heart attack when I was 15 years old. And I still don't believe in that shit. There is just no evidence for it.

Go lookup cold reading. I'm pretty sure you were a victim of it. For all you know he used you for practice.

It would be all good if people found comfort in spirituality without hurting other people because of it. Unfortunately belief in the supernatural does harm people worldwide.

There is zero evidence for any of it and people persist in believing in it anyways. Why? Personal experience and hearsay?

I get it, something unexplainable happens to you and you don't want to admit to yourself your brian just took a shit for a little bit. Makes you feel like you might go nuts, you're not in control. So you fill in that gap from memory, in most cases the unexplained gets artificially explained with the supernatural.

Not me, when my brain takes a shit, I acknowledge the fact that it isn't perfect. I'm even always aware that what I think I see all around me is just my brian filling in space from memory.

Sometimes I feel bad for people who are so jaded by the world around them that they can't look past it and still say "what if...". Especially being a musician with a creative mind. Usually imagination and creativity go hand in hand.

At some point or another there were many people who believed that the physical world and the spiritual world were connected. These were the same people who paved the way for future generations with new ideas, philosophies and inventions. Monks, Native Americans, even Einstein, Tesla and Bell all believed there was a world out there that science couldn't explain.

I'm not advocating blissful ignorance. To a certain extent you have firm grasp on it and be able to sort through the bullshit like Madam Chloe or televangelists. I think one day you'll experience something that's gonna make you shit bricks or make you question your own beliefs.

To a certain extent you have firm grasp on it and be able to sort through the bullshit like Madam Chloe or televangelists. I think one day you'll experience something that's gonna make you shit bricks or make you question your own beliefs.

Well, I've had that experience. It was called university! :kickass:

Nah seriously... I did a ton of drugs, realised that life is beautiful... and I got off that whole LaVeyian Satantic nihilistic vibe that I was slowly slipping into. I realised life isn't all about blood, shit, and fucking.

It may not come across, but I'm actually a fairly balanced individual - whatever that means :lol:

But look - there ARE explanations for psychics, and those explanations satisfy me. But I'm not about to say that there aren't strange things out there in the world, because there are.

But they're most likely nothing to do with the supernatural. I'd direct you to the 'scale of the universe' thread. That kind of thing is truly awesome and inspiring.

I would not put it past a 13 year old to develop some cold read skills and then hide behind a guise of "i'm just a dumb kid, i barely know how to tie my shoes, let alone deceive people." And skepticism aside, it's really really sad that people can take advantage of other peoples misery. Dave, just for arguments sake, go through the scenario in your head that that kid is a total sham. Wouldn't you be furious? That he took advantage of you like that and falsely spoke for your father for no reason other than to stroke his own ego?? doesn't that seem outright cruel and hurtful, even if his purpose was to give you false comfort??

i saw david copperfield live when i was a kid, and during the show he cut himself in half, and walked off the stage holding his legs in his hands. it completely defied all physics and nature and biology, yet there i was witnessing it with my own two eyes. but he's a self proclaimed illusionist, not a magician. the point is ... perception is subjective, we can never know exactly what happened (if anything...) to this kid when he was on a boat when he was 13. i saw david blaine fucking LEVITATE on tv, and it's supposed to be real, but it's not, he's fuckin dangling from ropes and actors are paid to freak out when they see it.

i dunno. if my dad died and someone tried telling me they were communicating with him... i'd beat the fuck out of them. like, fuck you, he's dead, i would fucking HOPE he's at peace and not floating around trying to talk to some egomaniacal chode.

I guess you're addressing everyone in the thread so . . . here's my take.

I got plenty of "what if" in me. I use it everyday. I'm sure science does as well. I also have a crazy imagination and lot's of creativity but I don't need to be irrational to have these traits.

Of course people way back when just believed for the sakes of believing, (they still do today) it's all in the process of learning. It's not like Einstein took his beliefs with him to work. in 1911 he didn't come out and say "The sky is blue because I believe *fill in supernatural nonsense*".

As for one day changing my mind because of some personal experience, still waiting, 35 years so far and nothing. I'm thinking that will never happen as long as I'm still sane. You should see my requirements to accept anything supernatural. To say the least, my personal experience would not suffice.

Anyways, I still love life and enjoy it. It's just to bad people kill each other over superstition.

If he was just throwing something at the wall, hoping it would stick, I would say he got pretty frigin lucky lol. This wasn't normal psychic shit-

psychic: Did someone very close to you just pass?
Me: Yes
psychic: Was it a man?
Me: why, yes!
psychic: Was it your father?
Me: How did you know?!?!

This was more like "I asked you to call because your dad wants me to tell you...." and thats it. I don't see it as exploitation. He didn't solicit anything from me I didn't insert two more dollars to hear the next message from the ethereal plane.

All that aside, I can jive with you and Drew. I have no problem looking at the other side of an argument, I would be a hypocrite if I didn't. You should know that the experience wasn't something that changed my beliefs. Prior to whole thing, I've always believed that there were people out there with certain gifts.
So if I found out tomorrow that the kid was faking it, yeah i'd be hurt for sure but for now I still find comfort in the conversation we had.

I take back everything I said! A ghost just appeared before me and asked me to join his elite killing team. I think he was really desperate because he got on his knees with tears in his eyes and said: "Please join my elite killing team, PLEASE. I'll suck your dick man, I'll suck your dick!". Then some ghostly chick from the seventies came in and volunteered too.

My girlfriends Aunt or some shit that she never sees, but calls sometimes (she's far away in Cali or some shit) somehow makes a living off apparently being a psychic or something. Apparently a while back she helped police find a dead body or some shit , and now also reads people over the phone or something? I dunno , but I never believed in that shit.

I have a friend that is an "expert" in palm reading, card reading, basically the whole Astrology thing. It's her "trade" and it goes way, way back in the family. (gypsies, family business) She won't tell much people this but she admits to me it's all bullshit. Not that I needed her to convince me. I just had to hear her say it. ;)

i don't really believe in telepathy... or whatever.

but... my sister is extremely ...clairvoyant (for lack of a better word).

everyone in my family is really smart: my father is a cybernetics engineer, my mother is a investment banker/speculation, my brother is a "something-or-other" for the "blank-blank, weapons division"... and my sister is a scenario planner for a private firm.

i am not saying that these people are psychic however i will say that it takes a strong sense of foresight to maintain their careers.

or... maybe they are just really good at their jobs.

I have a friend that is an "expert" in palm reading, card reading, basically the whole Astrology thing. It's her "trade" and it goes way, way back in the family. (gypsies, family business) She won't tell much people this but she admits to me it's all bullshit. Not that I needed her to convince me. I just had to hear her say it. ;)

Interesting , this lady (my gf's aunt) believes it 100% and so do my gf's parents , she even tries to give my gf "guidance" or something when she calls , kinda reads her , shit creeps me out. Besides how the hell could you read someone over a phone, if it was even possible in the first place , just doesn't make sense to me

You can be spiritual AND cartesian. It's where people in search of spirituality fail, there is no need for such things.

About psychic... If they were real, we would know it. There would have been real experiences conducted by real serious science entities which would have had good results (id est : that have more positive results than probabilities can give to a subject) and it would be commonly admitted. It would be used officially. It's damn fucking easy to prove. It's just about running several really different tests to show the subject's accuracy.

Saying "if they are real psychic they don't need the world to know" is one more excuse to give them for not revealing the truth seriously.

It's not as complicated as the existence of a god or not (which is a more difficult thing to prove or not by essence). That's why I don't trust it. And occasional experiences where someone call someone on the phone telling about some things about the past or the future will prove nothing. I already myself predicted curious things.

There are thousands of things happening to you every day, and an infinite amount of things that can happen to you. So sometimes it can happen a prediction actually worked. But you forgot how you couldn't predict the other 999 999 events that happen to you this day. You predicted that glass was gonna break after lunch ? Wow it's incredible. And what about the toothpaste that fell on the floor, what about your car which has a new scracth, what about the fact you met your friend in the street randomly ?

Also, mixed with this fact, is the other fact that in the life of a human being, there are many basic things reducing the "zone" psychic use. We are almost all maried one day, we all loose friends or a member of the family etc. We mostly marry with someone of the same color as we are, we almost all have 1,2 or 3 children, who can only be girls or boys. So a psychic in an interview has not so many options to trust. Also, they might also consider the fact than almost all of them come visit them for either : a dead person, love, money. So it's an easy guess in the first seconds that put the client in confidence zone. It's also used as a seduction technic by some people. And, our body language expresses many things that someone trained to read it and get the actual useful information from it can also have a few clues of what is thinking a person, it helps.

Interesting , this lady (my gf's aunt) believes it 100% and so do my gf's parents , she even tries to give my gf "guidance" or something when she calls , kinda reads her , shit creeps me out. Besides how the hell could you read someone over a phone, if it was even possible in the first place , just doesn't make sense to me

Dude, to the rest of the world my friend believes it 100%. One of her things is to say out loud: "I believe in everything". She just happens to like me (a crush, I think?) so she's really honest with me. Plus, it's her only income and she does well.