Meditation

Dick Sirloin said:
That's me EXACTLY. And I've been engaging in things SO MUCH that I haven't taken the time to find any inner light beyond the day-to-day experiences of my life.

One more thing about this is that, as I'm sure your coming to realize through the reading you've started, is that Zen isn't about NOT doing all of these things. Its about being utterly mindfull about every-single-thing in your life.

If you eat, just eat.

When you walk, just walk.

When you sit, just sit.

A lesson from Thich Naht Hahn, the abridged version :loco: :

One way he outlines good mindfullness is doing the dishes. Most people finish the dishes and do somthing enjoyable, such as have a glass of tea, or watever. If you go to do the dishes, just to get through the dishes, and your mind is on that glass of tea, you are no being mindfull and you will not only rush the job but you will be frustrated as you feel that doing the dishes is only an obstacle in the way of enjoying your tea!
I hope that makes a little sense...im just Tully, a layperson, not a teacher. =P

When you do the dishes, just do the dishes.

So Tully, what has been the extent of your awareness through meditation? Any particularly transcendent moments? How often/long do you do it?

KILL TULLY said:
Hah, after reading all my posts thats the only response? Man, helping people is weird.
Bah, I was just questioning the idea that you should just think about whatever you want while you do it. Otherwise it's just daydreaming, right?

Dick Sirloin said:
Bah, I was just questioning the idea that you should just think about whatever you want while you do it. Otherwise it's just daydreaming, right?

Hmmm, thats not what I said I don't think at all? Your not thinking of your thoughts, but they are going to come, its inevetable. You just let them pass through your mind...how is that daydreaming? Your always concentrated on your breath, the thoughts are just so many clouds in the sky. Eventually you'll have a clear day, untill then, just keep practicing.

Yeah, the "swinging door". What I did was everytime I started thinking about something, I'd use my "breath" to wipe it out of my mind. But is this too rigid? It seemed like the extent of my exercise was trying NOT to think.

So if boobies pop up in my head, I just hope they pass.

Dick Sirloin said:
So Tully, what has been the extent of your awareness through meditation? Any particularly transcendent moments? How often/long do you do it?

In the zendo we do 108 bows, 1 hour and a half of Zazen, then 10 minutes of Kenshin (walking meditation) followed by 40 minutes of Zazen, then we leave.

On my own I do 15 minutes in the morning, half hour at night, and a half hour midday if I can.

That Suzuki book is amazing but, the tittle is a little bit missleading. It's more about teaching Zen students that throughou there training they must keep a beginners mind, as that is what Zen is about. The title could be mis-interpreted as an intro to Zen practice. The three pillars of Zen on the other hand is a great entryway into Zen!

About my "Awareness" durring meditation:

One thing that sets Zazen apart from other Buddhist meditation is the disregard for the fantastic things that may happen while sitting. If you see a vision, feel awkward, have halucinations, these are not to be taken as spiritual signs but isntead as tricks of the mind. Your supposed to push through these, moving again into shikantaza, zazen, or koan study, whichever the case may be.

Have you read much about Koans? These are the basis of "Zen Awareness" once your a little farther on the path. The most famous and simple Koan is "What is the sound of one hand clapping?".

When you sit with a Koan the idea is not to conciously wrap your mind around the Koan, but let the absurdity of the Koan help you unwrap your mind...if that makes any sense. Of course there is TONS more to it, but obviously you should read that from the masters not Tully, hah.

Dick Sirloin said:
Yeah, the "swinging door". What I did was everytime I started thinking about something, I'd use my "breath" to wipe it out of my mind. But is this too rigid? It seemed like the extent of my exercise was trying NOT to think.

Thats exactly what your supposed to do. Use your count of "one" to wipe your mind clear, only that one breath is there. It may seem rigid, but its only the begining. I'de say its like training wheels, but that would imply your not already riding the bike the way it was meant =).

I will keep all that in mind.

One of the best explanations I've ever heard of this feeling of sensual awareness during meditation was by Ken Wilber: when you hear a sound, there is no real act of hearing. You can't "hear" the act of hearing. Thus, when you "hear" a sound, you ARE that sound.

Weird.

Cool man, and if you have no Zen Center around there ide be happy to ask my teacher any questions you have, and can't find the answers to elseware. Or even if you just want another opinion.

Well, I've been doing meditation and bows 3 times a day. I just finished a session that I believe was over an hour, although I have no idea since I think timing oneself misses the point. After a while, my legs became numb. It was at that point that my breathing became unconsciously shallower and for a moment I was stuck by a fleeting sensation of a VAST EXPANSE around me. Don't really know how to explain it. I'm trying not to be very goal-oriented, but today (I think) was definitely a progression from my preivious experiences. Maybe because I sat longer, I dunno.

:loco:

okay i just realized that Dick Sirloin's title thingy is something i said in a drunk thread like 3 years ago. bastard. :tickled: