Has anyone read Dante's "Inferno"???

Ryan VH

Go Forth And Die!
Jul 8, 2006
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
My English tutor said I should read it because it seems like something that would interest me since I read all the dark lyrics and stuff and look at it as literature. I bought but haven't started to read it. Has anyone else read it? If so what are you thoughts on it?

I've read it a couple times.

It's pretty tough if you don't understand what's going on. It'd probably be really helpful to you if you had a good commentary at hand while reading it.

Also finding a good translation can also be a bit tough. Ask Chromo, he knows all about it.

Also if you a aren't familiar with how Dante is building on Virgil's account of the underworld (Aeneid Book 6) and putting it into a Christianizing context and also a context of his own age, it's also really incomprehensible.

I heard that you should see Dante's "Clerks" first.

I've always preferred the translations by John Ciardi.

I looked into the Everyman Edition lately due to conversations with Moose, and it also seems good.. in its own way. Just comparing the first few pages, the Everyman's Edition has a better flow and is seemingly easier to read based on word choice and sentence structure. This seems to be its forte: you lose the poetic aspect, but gain a clearer understanding of the text.

However, the Ciardi translation preserves a partial rhyme scheme which I find attractive to read. Just a personal preference. I'm not sure about the Everyman's edition, but the Ciardi translation provides a summation of each Canto before the actual text. This is a great help in clearing up the instances where the prose gets a bit jumbled.

Not that going to much more detail would really benefit you one way or another, but it's worth giving Inferno a try. I would say to pick up just Inferno, as opposed to the entire Divine Comedy (which includes Purgatorio and Paradiso) because really, the latter two just aren't as fun to read, though personally I find them just as moving.

Also it should be noted that in order to fully understand the text before you, a companion book, or an edition with a lot of footnotes (which I believe my Ciardi edition contains) clears things up immensely. The book is full of symbolism relating to the society of the time, and explains why so many religious figures, i.e. past Popes, were placed into Dante's Hell.

Alright!

Dante's Inferno book club ITT

read and post thoughts, questions , et al.

ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE

Stupid question, but didn't Homer write that? I believe it was mentioned in the Oddessy

get out.

I mean, a simple google search could answer your question faster and spare you all the ridicule I'm making out right now.

Stupid question, but didn't Homer write that? I believe it was mentioned in the Oddessy

That's cuz the Oddessy comes after the Iliad. After Odysseus fights in the battle of Troy, he tries to get home but gets stuck in the oh-so-fun adventures of the Oddessy.

I've read the Inferno, once on my own and second as in-class reading. On my own, it was a really cool read. But my teacher was able to give extremely helpful insights into the story such as complex symbolism, cultural and literary references Dante makes.

Dante Alighieri is just funny as hell when you actually start reading about him. People call him romantic and deep and all that... and then Beatrice (inspiration for many of his stories and character in a majority) turns out to be this girl he saw twice and never really spoke to. I'd call it creepy, but that's just me.

Jeff

Dante Alighieri is just funny as hell when you actually start reading about him. People call him romantic and deep and all that... and then Beatrice (inspiration for many of his stories and character in a majority) turns out to be this girl he saw twice and never really spoke to. I'd call it creepy, but that's just me.

Jeff

but isn't that the essence of Romanticism?

read it. make sure to read all the footnotes ... and get an edition with lots of them. because dante is basically all about contemporary knowledge that ppl from these days have no idea about.