Has the backlash begun? BWBK'S Deliverance review

I like the new opeth CD..It's heavy, it's moshable and it crushes..Yes, it lacks the tragic story line of previous releases and the depth, charisma and character of older Opeth CD's..It's still a good release..Opeth's worst Cd's are better than these nu metal bands best..I also, thought the new Opeth felt a little rushed in the fact that Opeth sacrificed the paradox's of soft and heavy, and classic songwriting wich brings upon an emotion never felt in death metal for something crushing.. I like this new opeth, but it doesn't compare to mayh, still life, morning rise, or even the popper bwp..It truly crushes though, and it makes me smile in a sinister way to hear new opeth..

There is an admirable singularity of purpose here, Mikael and Peter finding dozens upon dozens of exotic and ornate riffs that pour like sylvan mercury into a single alchemical, emotional brass bowl, all manner of circuitous wiring sounding mournful yet academic, as if too much deep thought on the tiring act of living can only lead to the elevated enlightenment that continuing to breathe in and breathe out is not intellectually sound.
Christ, how pretentious. I hate writing like this. :puke:

But overall, yeah, I didn't think the review was very negative.

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow
That was a generous review, w/ some accurate points. But Ill wait for the album to be officially released, b4 I rip into this sub par mediocre album. BWP is far better than this one, and Deliverance does sound VERY rushed, from the riffs, to the compositions...the saving grace of the album is the drumming.

No...don't agree whatsoever. The compositions are brilliant, they just take some time to get used to. The production is a bit drier, but I agree with the people that said BWP was over produced. The album is coated in awesome riffs as well.

Differing opinions...but I don't like yours. :p

(edit: unless you were kidding...were you?)

First off, it's Martin Popoff. The guy is absolutely clueless. Aside from the fact that his take on music is usually well off the mark, the guy’s grasp on the English language is similar to that of a nine year old with a learning disorder. Just look at the following sentence:

"There is an admirable singularity of purpose here, Mikael and Peter finding dozens upon dozens of exotic and ornate riffs that pour like sylvan mercury into a single alchemical, emotional brass bowl, all manner of circuitous wiring sounding mournful yet academic, as if too much deep thought on the tiring act of living can only lead to the elevated enlightenment that continuing to breathe in and breathe out is not intellectually sound."

This is a perfect example of the age old adage; ignorance is bliss. Only someone utterly convinced of their mastery of the English language would try to squeeze that many adjectives into a single sentence. And only someone completely oblivious to the rules of grammar would then think it was worth publishing. If the man had a cohesive thought, it would most certainly die of loneliness.

Whether you'll love this CD, be indifferent to it, or hate it, it's not rushed. First off, I’d like to know how something could be both “the product of hair-pullingly intense work” and be “rushed”. Second, there's nothing on this disc that is reminiscent of Aerosmith, Tool, Fear Factory or Kings X. Finally, to suggest that Opeth's purpose for releasing “Damnation” are “commercial”, is to be so oblivious of all things Opeth, that it boggles the mind.

GZ

Originally posted by General Zod
First off, it's Martin Popoff. The guy is absolutely clueless. Aside from the fact that his take on music is usually well off the mark, the guy’s grasp on the English language is similar to that of a nine year old with a learning disorder. Just look at the following sentence:

"There is an admirable singularity of purpose here, Mikael and Peter finding dozens upon dozens of exotic and ornate riffs that pour like sylvan mercury into a single alchemical, emotional brass bowl, all manner of circuitous wiring sounding mournful yet academic, as if too much deep thought on the tiring act of living can only lead to the elevated enlightenment that continuing to breathe in and breathe out is not intellectually sound."

This is a perfect example of the age old adage; ignorance is bliss. Only someone utterly convinced of their mastery of the English language would try to squeeze that many adjectives into a single sentence. And only someone completely oblivious to the rules of grammar would then think it was worth publishing. If the man had a cohesive thought, it would most certainly die of loneliness.

Whether you'll love this CD, be indifferent to it, or hate it, it's not rushed. First off, I’d like to know how something could be both “the product of hair-pullingly intense work” and be “rushed”. Second, there's nothing on this disc that is reminiscent of Aerosmith, Tool, Fear Factory or Kings X. Finally, to suggest that Opeth's purpose for releasing “Damnation” are “commercial”, is to be so oblivious of all things Opeth, that it boggles the mind.

GZ

I like you. You are smart.

I wouldn't worry about it. Martin Popoff never makes any sense. And his favorite band is Manowar... so I wouldn't put much stock into anything he says.

I can't believe he compared this album to Aerosmith, Tool, Fear Factory and Kings X! ;)

Originally posted by General Zod

GZ

rotflmao
you are so right

I usually don't buy into what Popoff says anyway. I like his reviewing style, but I never agreed with a lot of his reviews (He gave Orchid a 7 in his book). Deliverance is far from the best Opeth album, but it's worthy of the 8.5 it got, but for different reasons then what Popoff said.

There is an admirable singularity of purpose here, Mikael and Peter finding dozens upon dozens of exotic and ornate riffs that pour like sylvan mercury into a single alchemical, emotional brass bowl, all manner of circuitous wiring sounding mournful yet academic, as if too much deep thought on the tiring act of living can only lead to the elevated enlightenment that continuing to breathe in and breathe out is not intellectually sound.

ha ha... that was fucking ridiculously un-sense-making.

Deliverance is growing on me for sure..I'ts like an addiction and I can't stop listining to it..I do need the lyrics as I will buy this CD November 11th when it is released..Lot's of interesting breaks, (thrash riffs, acoustic riff into moshable metal, latin beats thanks to the Martin and Martin) this is totally unexpected..It's good and I do find myself listing to Opeth songs as long as they are, over and over again..Well produced and interesting but I'm a die hard fan and Opeth could do no wrong..I like the contrast of heavy and mellow, acoustic interludes with sick death, progressive metal, so there fore I think that Damnation and Deliverance should have been released either together or on one CD..However, I haven't heard Damnation so what do I know..

Someone needs to beat this guy over the head with a dictionary.

What a pretentious piece of shit. I don't even care about what he said about the album, just how he said it. Didn't he read over his review and just sit there and wonder to himself "what the hell did I just say?"

I wonder if there is one person in the whole world who can actually visualize one thought out of that single self-orgy of a sentence. I just can't believe someone allowed that massive collection of random adjectives to be published as a review of an album..

Someone needs to clue him in that, sometimes, less is more.