rediscovering Deliverance

SculptedCold

-scented manbeef-
May 9, 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
Has anyone else experienced this? When Deliverance first came out I basically rapidly came to the opinion that the first two tracks were standard (read: unremarkable) Opeth, then followed two interesting and well-developed softer tracks.....and then in my view, two attempts at expanding their sound that failed miserably.

WELL. Lemme tell yaZ, i'z iz going for a drug test tomorrow, and i've got to get up at 5.30 in the mornin' (it's 2.30 now) so that I can go to work with my parents and they can take me to the clinic in the afternoon. Now, I haven't had to get up so early in a couple months so naturally I just can't get to sleep......and fully conscious, in my dark room with the outside orange street lights casting a grand crisscrossed shadow visage of my window....well, blah, I decided to give Deliverance another chance....I've thought for a while that there was always something there I just wasn't fully giving credit to.

WOW! Wreath and Deliverance came across much as they did before, only more powerfully because I was giving them 100% of my attention. It was as these tracks were closing that I pondered and began to realise two things;

1 - I honestly believe that Deliverance has the most complex arrangements and the most material packed into the average song lengths since Morningrise, IF that. This impression only grew on me as I reconsidered the manic density of the closing two tracks....and saw them as deliberately chaotic rather than just haphazardly crammed.

2 - The clean vocals in Wreath and Deliverance are haunting. No, more than that, they're 'kin evil. As I thought this, I cast my mind over the artwork and the lyrics, and realised that this is possibly the darkest album Opeth have done. I would say this album has two main emotions; anger (an evil incarnation) and fear (loneliness especially). The opening two tracks seem to invite a seeping feeling of evil with those chilling clean passages.....the next two develop a more mature side of opeth (not that we haven't seen that before, but A Fair Judgement and For Absent Friends lean distinctly towards the style they would adopt on Damnation) and establish firmly a vague, melancholic mood. They're neither dark or triumphant...but somewhere inbetween. And then we're hit with Master's Apprentices; I used to think the opening was clumsy, and I still hold the view that it's not a GREAT opening, but it's heaviness is fitting in re-establishing a sense of strictness. (here, I considered the repressive moral elements of good and bad through the white/black artwork.....the theme made more significant by the loneliness in the artwork and the sense that there is some evil but unseen, strict, matriarchal prescence, such as a mean, passed-away grandmother. mikael's family loss at the time reinforce this idea) This formality established, Master's then enters what I would call a rising crescendo of spiritual enlightenment as the first clean vocals enter. the effects here seem to make them attempt to soar above the song itself. it then develops into a very frail clean passage that is constantly under threat by the severe barrage of the early song.....and hey and ho, the song crumbles into heaviness again as darkness is re-asserted. Then the final track. Before....I always hated this track. Think about it, it is SO untypical Opeth. It changes directions ALL the time, the riffs are unusually stilted and unmelodious, and the clean passages are structured with understated vocals and synths that are struggling to introduce a 'lightness' but end-up being downright 'kin creepy. This feeling can't be helped due to the precarious deconstruction of these last two tracks....and the utter chaos of By The Pain I See In Others, when considered in the context of the whole album, ceases in my eyes to be a messy and failed experiment but rather a calculated exploration of mood deconstruction. By the time it ends and the creepy sounds start coming-in.....I was truly 'kin amazed and actually pretty shaken......and that was really only a musical analysis. I wonder what else I could imagine if I studied the lyrics and their place. Oh well, that's for another time.

I came downstairs and I actually couldn't stop myself looking out of the windows into the dark, checking for outside interlopers before I turned a light on. My views on Deliverance have completely changed....before I barely gave it full attention and now it's all been revealed to me. has anyone else 'rediscovered' Deliverance after thinking it was pretty crap????

oh....and what does mikael say at the end of the disc??

Well..i always thought it was a decent record...as far as Opeth records go its....different...It seemed more evil and deathy than the other records...I never thought of it as shitty though...
At the end i believe its just the clean parts on the previous track said backwards...

I've always liked it, but it's always been my least favourite excluding Damnation. It did grow on me at one point, but that faded again soon afterwards....Hm.

Maharet said:
At the end i believe its just the clean parts on the previous track said backwards...

You're very right. I sampled it and tourned it backward cause it just sounded like typically reversed vox. It's the two clean passages from Master's Apprentice

"Soothing trance
Colours fade
And disappear
Ethereal light
Showing me what I can do without"

"Fading away
And leaving
Long for sleep
Closer now
Lead the way into death"

All in all "Deliverance" will be my album 2002/2003 because I can't tell you any other album I've listened to more times than D1 in last couple of month.
A big thanks to the band for this masterpiece again!

Rock On!

www.stormofsorrows.de

It fluctuates, for me. But when I think about the amount I listen to it, I realize I must really like it. It took me a while to like the last two, but the first 4, I always did. Especially Wreath. For some reason I just love that song.

I don't need to rediscover it, I think it's pretty fucking awesome in every way.

From what I can notice mostly americans and UKpeople flame deliverence. the same goes for endelssly praising morningrise.

I think that the harmonies and melodies of morningrise feel pretty exotic to any american, while the choise of tones on deliverence feels like a step back into the regular deathmetal scale.

I myself find the harmonies on morningrise to be great, but I have grown tired of the folky-northern medievel choise of tones, and I therefor feel that digesting deliverence brings more joy.

But why compare two great albums.

Disclaimer: The final statement made my entire post in this thread pretty worthless. Nonetheless, read it :p

GoD, your avatar is weak, and far inferior to the previous two. Granted, I don't even have an avatar, but still...

Anyone who really dislikes Wreath needs to give it a few more listens. It's not great, but not bad either. Deliverance is a masterpiece. Never boring for a second. VERY good lyrics. AFJ has never been a favorite song of mine. I lose interest during the piano intro. And the heavy finish isn't that good. FAF is a nice instrumental, but not as good as Patterns I. Sculpted Cold was so right about MA. At first the open seemed a little dull, but you can feel that tightness to it. BTPISIO still hasn't won me over. I think the intro is really nice, but the song seems to have no direction. Towards the end, it feels like it's just trying to end, but it doesn't. I really dig the whole creepiness factor of the entire album. I think D1 is grossly underrated, and unfairly ripped on by a majority of people here.

I had a similar experience with the album, but it's sort of weird.
When I first got it, I liked it a lot.
It had to grow on me,as there aren't many obvious hooks, but I then loved it.
But then I liked it less.
Then I liked it a lot more, sort of rediscovering it.
Now, even though I love it, I realize it's my least favorite Opeth album.

MasterOLightning said:
GoD, your avatar is weak, and far inferior to the previous two. Granted, I don't even have an avatar, but still...

My last avatar which I had for SEVERAL WEEKS was a default UM one. THOSE SUCK. THAT WAS THE POINT. GET OFF MY FUCKING FARM. I bet the only reason you dislike my avatar is because YOU HAVE A FAT LEG! HAHAHAHAHA!

LordHypnos said:
I think you were just delerious and tired from lack of sleep:loco:

Deliverance is still subpar and drenched in mediocrity to me. sorry guys :ill:

nononononono, but that's just the point, I was wide awake, that's why I was able to pay full attention to it.

and no, i'm not saying it's the best or even my favourite by a long shot, I was just explaining the musical epiphany i experienced as deliverance went in my view from poor to just kickass opef

Deliverance is my 5th favorite Opeth album (in order: Orchid, BWP, Still Life, Morningrise, D1, MAYH, D2), but it doesn't seem to "flow" as well as the other albums. It seems like a pieced together album, unlike all the other albums. Also the lyrics are not standout lyrics. Why I like it better than MAYH and D1 is that the individual songs I think are better. Also MAYH and D1 are shorter than the average Opeth album.