Hate to bring this up again but ...

saw Armored Saint open for Wasp and Metallica at L'amours the winter of '85 immediately ran out an bought March/Saint.

So that's 2 interviews where John has aired some grievances rather diplomatically ... now I love the guy but it's clear there is some deep frustrations that perhaps are finally bubbling to the surface.
Still a class guy but I can't blame him about saying somethings when asked.
I love this band but lets be blunt - behind the scenes they are an administrative mess.

Anyway roll on the new album.

"I didn't participate in anything, and I always had on previous records. And granted, if I would have written a few songs… It was just the mindset of… 'Nah. This isn't… No.' I even said, 'Okay, if you pay me this amount of money, I'll do it.' And I gave some crazy figure, because I wasn't doing it out of the love of my soul, I was doing it for another reason. So I was, like, 'Then you've gotta pay me for it.' And that's when Benante got all livid on me and freaked out, and we still haven't spoken since then. But, you know, whatever"

This is kind of weird if you ask me. There is a completely different story in Scott's book.

John has always seemed like a class act in everything I've read.

But I don't get his reasoning re Worship Music. He said he wouldn't want people who heard Dan Nelson sing it live (which is a tiny subset of the Anthrax fanbase) to compare his performance against Nelson, which makes no sense in light of recording Greater of Two Evils.

Makes a lot of sense. It's an normal ego issue.

He does not mind being compared to an established original singer, but he sure as hell does not want to be compared to a nobody like Dan Nelson, especially given that he was in the band longer than Dan and recorded 4 studio albums compared to Dan who never recorded one single song.

John was in the band longer than Joey, and even Joey does not like Bush material because obviously it's an ego issue.

So, I finally saw Armored Saint last night. Great set and John still has the voice! Anyway, near the end of the set, John said (paraphrasing) "The guys in this band actually like each other, unlike some bands out there." Hmm...wonder what band he's talking about. ;)

Reactions: Anthrax_Mosher
Makes a lot of sense. It's an normal ego issue.

He does not mind being compared to an established original singer, but he sure as hell does not want to be compared to a nobody like Dan Nelson, especially given that he was in the band longer than Dan and recorded 4 studio albums compared to Dan who never recorded one single song.

John was in the band longer than Joey, and even Joey does not like Bush material because obviously it's an ego issue.

That's in interesting take; I hadn't thought of it that way.

That would seem like a more plausible angle to me if the Nelson material were more widely-distributed. But only a very small sliver of the entire Anthrax fanbase even heard Nelson sing those songs; it just doesn't seem realistic to me. I mean, what percentage of the Belladonna-only part of the fanbase heard or saw those live videos? Less than 1%? I just don't see hardly anyone making that comparison aside from super diehards that consume every Anthrax audio and video clip available online. Plus they were live concert videos: what are the odds a studio-created version by John wouldn't smoke those live performances?

I once knew a chick who said Dan Nelson was better than Joey Belladonna. True story.

I've seen the clips and heard the audio from those shows and I think many were comparing him to John, but the super diehards weren't into it and as you can see the Nelson era did not last long.

If you're thinking of the many Dan Nelson clips out there, sure, I'm guessing many watched those and compared him to John.

But as timmy said, there were only 4 songs from one show that ended up on WM. That's where I'm saying hardly anyone saw those 4 clips.

I went looking back through old articles and found a different reason from John that I think makes perfect sense (from http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/05/19/john-bush-left-anthrax-for-exactly-the-reasons-we-all-thought-he-did):

"For me, the idea of just re-singing this record just wasn't something that appealed to me. I didn't feel comfortable with that. I just felt like it wasn't my record to make… I just felt like since I wasn't involved in the writing process, which I have been on every previous record [I did with Anthrax], I was completely detached. It felt like to come in and redo things or to write or rewrite stuff, even those guys gave me the green light to be creative, it wasn't something I felt like I had in my soul. I entertained it at one point. I thought maybe there was some money to be made there, but those are the wrong reasons. It wouldn't have felt right to do it because of that."

So, I finally saw Armored Saint last night. Great set and John still has the voice! Anyway, near the end of the set, John said (paraphrasing) "The guys in this band actually like each other, unlike some bands out there." Hmm...wonder what band he's talking about. ;)

Ouch.

I wouldn't read too much into that. I've heard from multiple bands that it's amazing that they still like each other after so many years. He's generalizing, I'm sure.

I went looking back through old articles and found a different reason from John that I think makes perfect sense (from http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/05/19/john-bush-left-anthrax-for-exactly-the-reasons-we-all-thought-he-did):

"For me, the idea of just re-singing this record just wasn't something that appealed to me. I didn't feel comfortable with that. I just felt like it wasn't my record to make… I just felt like since I wasn't involved in the writing process, which I have been on every previous record [I did with Anthrax], I was completely detached. It felt like to come in and redo things or to write or rewrite stuff, even those guys gave me the green light to be creative, it wasn't something I felt like I had in my soul. I entertained it at one point. I thought maybe there was some money to be made there, but those are the wrong reasons. It wouldn't have felt right to do it because of that."

This sounds like he's saying the same thing, but in a different way. He says he doesn't want to rerecord over someone else's stuff. He wasn't involved in writing etc... The new interview just contains more detail about money.

Also, I kind of understand what he means about being compared to Nelson. Nelson sounded a shit load like John. We were already comparing them, back then. These were also his feelings at the time, maybe in hindsight, he would realize now that Dan is long forgotten. Who knows?

This sounds like he's saying the same thing, but in a different way. He says he doesn't want to rerecord over someone else's stuff. He wasn't involved in writing etc... The new interview just contains more detail about money.

Also, I kind of understand what he means about being compared to Nelson. Nelson sounded a shit load like John. We were already comparing them, back then. These were also his feelings at the time, maybe in hindsight, he would realize now that Dan is long forgotten. Who knows?

Even Scott said at the time that Nelson sounded like "Bush on steroids".

I wouldn't read too much into that. I've heard from multiple bands that it's amazing that they still like each other after so many years. He's generalizing, I'm sure.

Maybe. I won't pretend to know exactly what was going through his mind when he said that. It just seemed like with his recent comments about Anthrax that it might have been related.