Haters Gonna Hate: The Official Djent Thread

SIKTH from 2003!!
this song is one of my favorites. if only their original label weren't such douches i would have licensed this for Tribunal back then. some battles can never be won.

video gets kind of graphic at end. warning.

music only version

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt like their label didn't know what to do with them and the band was sort of forced to fend for themselves. I had heard Skindred's manager signed them to a really good management deal and the band was headed for some bigtime UK success but they broke up. :(

They were definitely without a doubt ahead of their time.

I must be outta the loop because what makes this different from, say, regular prog? I can hear the distinct guitar sound and the odd time signatures, but...

Zero Hour would be considered Djent and not Prog?

Nevermore, which has that guitar sound and at times odd signatures, can be considered somewhat Djent?

Ram-Zet, a fave band of mine, considered Djent and not Black Prog?

Watchtower: Purveyors of Djent?

None of those bands desperately wants to be Sikth.

Before the anger starts, I hear all of this stuff fresh off the presses, as one of the mods at sevenstring.org. Some of it impresses me (Gru, especially - his album is probably my favorite in this style at the moment), but honestly a significant chunk of this genre could really use some time to learn to compose a piece of music. I rather like Tesseract, and I listen to the Periphery disc instrumentally (I cannot fathom what Misha is thinking with that singer, but, hey, it's his band), but if I want to hear something in this style, I almost always end up back at Sikth. They knew how to write songs.

It'll be interesting to see how this genre progresses once the trendies fall off.

>What djent bands could be ProgPower-suitable?

No.

What I don't get is how you can be a fan of Mercenary but not some of these bands? While not entirely the same, they are similar. Not picking on you, just curious. I'm loving this thread and how open-minded even the people who don't like this stuff are to it.

Pretty funny how a word to describe a palm-muted metallic sounding chord (e.g. Metallica-Sad but true) turned into a word to describe modern progressive bands that tune their guitars around B-flat or lower.
Anyways, it's pretty unique stuff and I like it. Vocals are usually always a miss for me though.

To me this musical format is useless. It makes no sense. There's no catchiness, no melody, it's jarring, structureless, head ache inducing, artery rupturing, unadulterated noise. My brain cannot understand it. I am not doubting their abilities as musicians as they are probably the best in the metal genre, but to me djent sounds stunted, flowless, unmetal. Yes I call it unmetal for whilst heavy it has no magical metal feel and most importantly of all very little melody. It's still better than black metal though I give you that!

Pretty much. It sounds emotionless to me. Sure they are amazing musicians, but I don't hear any emotion. Its like a robot is playing this shit. I don't hear any feeling in any of these clips.

IMO it takes more talent to play with emotion, and to know how to write catchy melodies. I have said this about Michael Batio Angelo for years. The dude can shred like a motherfucker but has literally only a couple of songs that I actually like.

The trick is finding the common ground between both and blending them together.

As for whoever posted that one band and said the singer sounds like Nils... LOL! He sounds about as much like Nils as John Tardy does.

The name of the genre is pretty dumb as well. Djent? HAHAHAHA oooo k!

The vocalist is Mats Levén, a vocalist for Therion. What a coincidence considering Therion is playing at ProgPower USA this year.

I didn't see Chimp Spanner mentioned previously in this thread, so I thought I'd throw it out there. Its purely instrumental.

Just curious if bands like Concept Insomnia, Solution .45 or Enditol would be considered djent. Pretty comparable to Periphery to my aging ears.

Solution .45 in no way would be considered djent. I don't know the other bands you mentioned, so I can't speak of them.

Well AS, I gave these clips a listen and this just isn't my thing. I liked the first song pretty well, and the second clip reminded me of Disturbed. From that point forward, the rest of the clips went down hill for me.

~Brian~

I think these guys would qualify as djent. I particularly enjoy this song.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWEA8XFtDK4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

I've been listening to a lot of 'djent' over the past couple of years or so, there are many great bands within this scene. Of those already mentioned I'm big fan of Tesseract, Textures, Vildhjarta (hurry up and release an album already), Radiance and of course the mighty Sikth

Some others that I love are:

Cloudkicker

The Contortionist

Cyclamen

The Safety Fire

Jakub Żytecki

The Ocean (their earlier stuff)

Hacride