The I love, hate or non-priority thread.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
The last disagreement regarding I have with some illustrious members of this forum on another thread got me thinking about the BIG importance of having no account for taste when it comes to rock/metal, how much vital is to be different in order to make things live.

So I want to propose a simple thread with simple rules:

1. NO INSULTS! What's food for one person can be crap for another and viceversa, so if you can stand the heat stay out of the thread.
  2. No need to explain your choices (unless you want) but if an intelligent discussion comes out of it please embrace with the same intelligent approach.
  3. Mostly will be metal bands (and subgenres), but rock (and subgenres) are also alright.
So the thread is about three types of bands, those you love (or like at least), those you dislike (or hate) and those you don't care right now:

1. Love/like: you have at least one album of the band, you listen to it on regular basis and/or you're a fan of it
  2. Dislike/hate: bands you can't stand for any given reason, you never have any album or you had and got rid of it, you don't tolerate it on radio, MP3 and sometimes even mention it. You can include bands you dislike at a certain era here.
  3. Non-priority: bands you nor like or dislike, but you don't have time/money/patience for them now since there's a lot more on your list in front so you put them aside (regardless on how hard your arm is twisted). Bands that you like maybe one song can fit in here.
OK, I hope it's pretty clear so I'll go first with some examples (no need to overkill the posts with all your bands).

Love/like: Motorhead
Hate/dislike: Nevermore
Don't care: Vanden Plas

I love: Savatage. Greatest band ever IMO. Most consistent over a long period of time and delivered some of the greatest classics in metal history. Spin-off band Trans-Siberian Orchestra ain't too shabby either.

I hate: only dance music and rap.

Indifferent to: anything without distortion guitar and rock drums. REO said it best, "it's gotta be rock'n'roll music, if ya wanna dance with me." That was back when REO actually rocked out.

Very hard for an illustrious person like me to only pick one for each type of band...maybe I'll post another one later...

I love : (old) Queensryche

I hate : Cradle of Filth

don't care : Megadeth

Love - Vanden Plas, Accept
hate - GNR, anything with Ron Keel on vocs. Very few bands that I go out of my way to bash. Those two are exceptions.
don't care - too many to name. Popular ones here include Priest, Manowar.

Bryant

luv the Scorpions
can't stand G-n-R
dont care for grrrwllll vocals that I cannot understand what the hell you're saying

I'm up for listening to anything once but if it doesn't work, don't keep forcing me. Someone said since I like Symphorce I'd like SymX...nope, it just doesn't do it for me. But the fact that I didn't like SymX did not stop me from listening to Russell Allen's solo which completely kicks major ass!:headbang:

Great posts so far totally in the spirit of the thread, thanks a lot. And Kitty I agree with you 100%, I'm not forcing myself with lots of bands but not necessarily I end hatinng them (in my case).

TSO! Great to see you, how's everything doing in the summer retreat?

Love/like: Judas Priest (including Owens era)
Hate/dislike: all growlers and screechers (so basically all Black and Death)
Non-priority: Overkill

Wyvern said:
Great posts so far totally in the spirit of the thread, thanks a lot. And Kitty I agree with you 100%, I'm not forcing myself with lots of bands but not necessarily I end hatinng them (in my case).

You do know what a noogie is right ? You have one coming !!

Bryant

Bryant said:
You do know what a noogie is right ? You have one coming !!

Bryant

Well you're earning one too!
nanner.gif

*******************************************************************************************************

Love/like: Goddess Of Desire
Hate/dislike: Children Of Bodom
Non-priority: Symphony X

NP: Steel Prophet - 'Church Of Mind'

Platinum Maze said:
Love/like: Symphony X
Hate/dislike: Motorhead
Non-priority: most Euro power metal

Well I know you and I are not going to make each other's Christmas list :lol:

Love/like: Blind Guardian
Hate/dislike: Destruction
Non-priority: Brainstorm

(wow I managed to stay in Germany)

-Love/like: Anything Devin Townsend
-Hate/dislike: This is a tough one. I can't think of any bands I absolutely can't stand. Maybe Pantera.
-Non-priority: Iced Earth

Wyvern said:
TSO! Great to see you, how's everything doing in the summer retreat?
All is great my friend! Been doing alot of camping and watching the wildlife. I've seen more moose in the past month than I'd seen previously in my whole life. Same for bald eagles. We found this remote area of Idaho that had ENORMOUS bald eagles everywhere we looked. Good fun I've had!

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
ENORMOUS bald eagles

Watch out for the bald hawks :p :lol: Glad to know you're enjoying it, carry on and take care.

NP: Rush - 'Cygnus X-1'

I find that a lot of my favorite music of all time takes a while to grow on you. This is chiefly for music that has a great deal of complexity to it.

This does work for some but for me it does not always work. If a disk doesn't hit me the first listen I'll give it a second try after a few weeks. If it doesn't hit me the second try chances are it never will.

I have to give the last Circle II Circle another try, a few listens and I'm still 'meh. Hoping of all hopes it will have my ass like their first release. :headbang:

BTW Necuratul :wave: nice to see another fan of Old School in here!