Have any of you ever randomly played through all of Opeth's songs?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
It's times like those when you realize how very versatile this band can be. I mean just before I had listened to The Amen Corner, which is a very dark side of Opeth and it switched to The Twilight Is My Robe shortly after which has this.. I don't even know what to call it, acoustic intro that leads into a song whose riffs are almost ballad-like in a way, and seem completely unusual for metal... just all melody (gotta love Orchid). From that it went to The Drapery Falls (ok you may have worked it out, im going in alphabetical order here) and that also is completely different to the 2 songs that had played before it...

I think it's just so awesome how much ground they've covered over their career. I still can't classify some of the parts that I hear in the music... like the end of The Amen Corner, which seems like some form of dark/groove/acoustic or for example, For Absent Friends also and just many many other parts. I think it's this variety that keeps people coming back to Opeth.

Nope, I always listen to the albums from start to finish to get the whole album-encompassing atmosphere. And I don't use mp3s when I have got the albums; the album version always sounds better to my ears.

But I have occasionally listened to (for example) Orchid right after listening to Blackwater Park, so I know what you're talking about.
And I agree.
The variety is what makes Opeth so special... the variety within songs, between songs and the variety between albums.
So much different emotions and atmospheres displayed all by the same band, you just gotta come back to it.

Yep. I have to agree that I prefer to listen to one album at a time. When I hit random, it's plays a little of everything I have. Then, when it does choose an Opeth track, it's almost......a treat! :)

I should program an Opeth only category so I can.