Have you ever fucked with someones mix?

Seth Munson

How do Amber Lamps?
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado Springs
Have you ever fucked with someones mix cuz they completely disrespect you on numerous occasions and push you around like they own the studio?

I guess what im trying to ask is, am i huge dickhead for fucking this mix up by brickwalling the overheads? (although to them and the untrained ear it wont even be noticeable)

what are your thoughts/experience with bands that fuck you over? and what do you do about it?

:p

I just think it's a terrible idea to let your name be attached to anything but your best sounding work, regardless of how dickheaded the band is. If they're really that bad, get them to sign something that says your name appears nowhere near the recordings, and/or pass the tracks off to someone else.

It's their choice to be unprofessional. Same goes for you.

Pretty much you're saying their not taking you seriously. Are you gonna join them in not taking yourself seriously?

Why would you ruin your own final product?

Well, I am not proud of the mix and this isnt my ideal type of genre to be recording. They wanted it to basically sound like shit. and i met them half way in between what i wanted and what they wanted.

and i have come to the conclusion that ill just make it shitty like they want and not have to deal with the nagging anymore, i dont have time to remix their shit over and over again.

I'd finish it just like everything, but then just let them know that I'll never work with them again and that I'll also let all my engineer friends know.

And replace subdrops with huge fart samples and kicks with ballclaps or something...

Shit, I was too slow with the ballclaps :lol:

and guys, keep in mind.

im not ruining the mix, it still sounds good. its kinda of my own little revenge.
hell even my intern couldnt tell i did it.

Yeah sorry, but fucking up someones mix for them even if they deserve it (I can totally empathize with feeling like this btw), its only going to make your own work look shit so just dont bother. Do something else to them. Piss in the singers water when hes not looking or something. Or wipe the drummers sticks round the toilet after taking a dump. That way you can get back at them and wont reflect badly on your mixing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've done a project where I asked for payment and no mention of my name.

the rest have been either at the artists requests, or I've had bad recordings and had to fix them in the mix.

Yes, my last session. They payed me shit, and the guitarist was SO off time. Eventually the guy said "I don't care about the quality", so I said fuck it. Left all the mistriggers/double triggers, let the guitarist do his horribly off time overdubs, and let all the mistakes slide. They liked the outcome.

^^-- Thats not really deliberately fucking someone up. Thats just letting someone do what they do best - fucking things up themselves.

I've gotta ask, if it's not your sort of music and they want something totally different to what you'd normally do, why would they come to you to record/mix their tracks?