Have you ever fucked with someones mix?

I've gotta ask, if it's not your sort of music and they want something totally different to what you'd normally do, why would they come to you to record/mix their tracks?

cuz my recordings are really clean and "produced"

which half of the band likes, the other doesnt.

tons and tons of drama.

BTW, their drummer was just hear and he said "d00d, iT SoUndz like AHHMazing" :p

haha little does he know

If you're working with a shitty band, finish the work, get paid and get the fuckers out the door.

Honestly this thread title makes me think of a dude fucking ninja-ing into another guys studio, opening up his projects, removing all the plug-ins, and then sneaking back out laughing to himself the entire time.

do some kind of backmasking of yourself talking about how much the band sucks and sneak it into on of their tracks.:heh:

when someone plays it backwards they'll hear something like "this guy is the worst fucking drummer ever, i edited his shit to death and he is a complete dickhead!"

no. Pettiness is not a good quality in an engineer.
I know people who have done such things, and Bands all grow to hate him.

Get it done, act professional and when you bitch about it don't mention names.
Other wise It'll bite you in the arse

Get the project done and just never work with them again. win-win situation, and you save your reputation.

God I wish I could just finish this project.
been going on for over 2 months now..
and trust me, I will never work with them again.

and my reputation is far from being torn.
you guys keep making it seem like im just throwing everything to the shitter, but in reality its what the band wants and is asking for. they are happier with it this way sadly. so i will do what they want, they recommend me to their friends and i get more clients.

its kinda a lose, lose, lose, win for me.
im losing tons of time, money and insanity but i will win clients in the end.

i guess with us adding funny shit to the mix that no one can hear is more of a funny inside "joke" between me and some of the guys that help with the studio. and the whole reason i started this thread was to ask if others do the same for their own guilty pleasure is all.

...you do work by the hour, right?

by the day, although i made a huge mistake with this band that wont ever happen again.

had to take 2 days off for medical reasons and told them I will make it up to them and take however long we needed to finish the EP because they needed it done by a certain day that we agreed on and I couldnt make it happen. Oh and also cuz I was having PC problems like PT crashing/not being able to boot up and my POD kept fucking up (which it still is)

but hey, i learned a valuable lesson out of the one.

Seriously, grow the fuck up man. Lots of people do boring monotonous jobs they don't like where they have to deal with arseholes all day long, and they just get on with and save the bitching for afterwards. You've got paid work, in a difficult industry, doing something you love - and you're bitching because a few of the people you have to work with are idiots? Deal with it - it's still better than serving fried chicken or taking phone calls from angry morons for 10 hours a day.

This is exactly the kind of job you should do to the letter how they want (obviously within reason). At the end of it, you'll feel like you've put in the effort, you'll have a job you can be proud of finishing (even if you don't like the end result), and you won't be biting the hand that feeds AND kicking yourself in the balls by fucking with your own client base. Plus at the end of it, the band will still suck.

If it's really so bad that you can't work with them, tell them it's not working out, give them the recordings and recommend them some other studios/engineers that can finish the mix for them. Be the bigger fucking man.

Steve

To answer your question, yeah I'll do that if the band wants. Honestly whatever gets a client like that out the door quicker is fine with me. You want me to dime the gain on the amp? Fine, but when you complain later (and I have said this to someone) that the guitars can't be heard very well under your symphony of synths (again, another dumb ass idea on his part) do not complain to me.

So yeah, I put up with egos. I'll even sack (well IMO) a song just because they think their arrangement is tits (even if it's a mess).

You think you've got it bad Seth? I've been working on an EP played by some of the most talentless schmucks you've ever heard since fucking october. Made them re-track guitars for a song which is no more difficult than a fucking Green Day song (and I could have had it done in 5 minutes by someone else,) and it's taken them 2 fucking weeks.
3 songs down, 2 to go. No doubt I'll have them re-track those too, and I have no doubt I'll end up waiting an extra 2 weeks for each.

But guess what? Fucking their mixes is the last thing I have planned for them. If they want to work with me again I'll just pass the work off to someone else.
If you don't want the work from their buds' bands, just turn the work down. Say you're booked up and pass the work off to someone else, I'm sure there's plenty of guys on the forum who are hurting for the money to the extent that they'll polish the nastiest of turds to a mirror shine and bitch about it less.

Get it done, get them out the door and go on to bigger and better things. Anything less is unprofessional and immature. If you feel like a project's lasting a lifetime, just think that there's a good likelihood that someone out there has it even fucking worse and that you're getting off lightly in comparison.