Have you ever seen the inside of an EMG pickup?

I'm pretty sure an active EMG doesn't look like that underneath, at least not to the same scale.

I've read that you could fit the actual insides the humbucker sized EMG's in a single coil housing (don't know if that's true), but EMG makes the 81, 85, etc. in P90 sized housings (may be a custom upcharge), I have seen those. Exact same pickupm just a different housing.

The coils do not have to be big for these, and there is not as much wire winding involved, nor are the magnets that big, as the preamp boosts the signal to their "hot" levels. That's why EMG advertises that you can get the pickup as close to the string as you like without worry of magnetic pull...The preamp is doing all the work to get the high output, not the winding/magnets/etc.

why do those pics make me want an HZ now? Must be my love for rail pickups.

The bobbins are wrapped with Zakk Wylde beard hair.

EMG's rawk my FACE. But I'll be honest, after switching to a JCM800 I have been thinking of passives.

why do those pics make me want an HZ now? Must be my love for rail pickups.

A bit of topic, but MMK45's rule:
033080.jpg

They sound kind of like a lowoutput passive EMG! ;P

/\/\/\ that whole guitar looks awesome!

here's one of mine with a kramer dual rail, a carvin dual rail, and a lawrence L500L (sorry to hijack, but when in rome):

IMG_1968.jpg

Sure is. Sobriety does mean things to people. He also got a cross on his chest and the word "Faith" somewhere these days.

I think I've heard him say that he believes in some sort of higher power now, not necessarily god, respectively Jebus, but some divine gizmo.

Yeah, the 12-step program sure fucks people up.. or saves them.. or whatever!