Have you ever slept on the middle of a session?

jangoux

May 9, 2006
I did. Many times.

I have this HUGE problem that if I am tired and I am not active I just sleep very quickly. I used to fall asleep on in a while but lately it has become more frequent... client starts tracking whatever instrument and before the end of a 3 minute song BANG I am sleeping lol Luckly, most of the time I 'feel' the song has ended and I wake up like 5 seconds later, but a couple of times the client (luckly, friends) had to tap my arm while saying 'Hey buddy....'.

I've always had sleep issues and my back problems / allergy /asthma / lack of proper sleep routines have just worsened that. I always feel tired (specially after lunch).

I also slept a couple of times on traffic lights on a 5 minute car ride, but that's another story :lol:

How about you, have you ever slept while tracking someone or on other awkward social situations?

I've done it with my own band but never with paying clients.

If I'm tired enough to fall asleep at a session then I'm tired enough to be making a ton of other stupid mistakes that wouldn't be acceptable at a professional level. I'd tell the band "Hey, I need a quick coffee/bathroom/food break or I'm going to lose it. Let's get to a good stopping point and then take 20-30 to recollect and refocus so we can kill it when we get back."

That said, if your personal life (sleep issues, back problems, allergy/asthma/lack of sleep routine, etc...) is preventing you from having enough energy to properly work, then you really need to get that sorted out before you work much more. This job is quote different and less structured than most 'professional' jobs but that doesn't mean you can treat it as any less of a professional job. It'd be the same as falling asleep at your cubicle while coding or something, just totally unacceptable in a work environment but easily avoidable when you know the warning signs.

I've done it with my own band but never with paying clients.

If I'm tired enough to fall asleep at a session then I'm tired enough to be making a ton of other stupid mistakes that wouldn't be acceptable at a professional level. I'd tell the band "Hey, I need a quick coffee/bathroom/food break or I'm going to lose it. Let's get to a good stopping point and then take 20-30 to recollect and refocus so we can kill it when we get back."

That said, if your personal life (sleep issues, back problems, allergy/asthma/lack of sleep routine, etc...) is preventing you from having enough energy to properly work, then you really need to get that sorted out before you work much more. This job is quote different and less structured than most 'professional' jobs but that doesn't mean you can treat it as any less of a professional job. It'd be the same as falling asleep at your cubicle while coding or something, just totally unacceptable in a work environment but easily avoidable when you know the warning signs.

Not really 'lack of energy'. I just fall asleep with lack of activity and this USUALLY happen on a short period I feel like turning off (like, I said, usually after lunch, maybe 1 hour after lunch) and no breaks help it at all. Suddenly I am OK again hehehe. This happens a lot when I listen to music - If I just put headphones on and start listening, I usually sleep real quickly. So I always must do some web surfing, writing shit, reading at the same time to avoid falling asleep. For example, when mixing, it also never happens. My mind is active..the problem is any minor work stoppage.

I fell asleep doing 70 mph (112 kph) on the highway after being awake and driving for 26 hours.

It's a really dumb idea, I don't advocate it. Flipped that fucker over twice.

One time I did as you described while tracking the most epic of boring songs I have ever done. I have no idea how I pilotd that session and somhow he never knew. lol

Again I don't advocate that scenario either, but if you have to do one then sleep recording is better thqn sleep driving.

I fell asleep in a session on my first day interning. The house guy asked this freelancer (some hotshot from Nashville) if I could sit in on the session and he said "Only if he sits in the back of the room and doesn't say a fucking thing." They were cutting some terrible Christian rock record and every song for this band was literally supposed to sound like another popular band at the time. They were laying all of the ethereal pads for their U2 rip off and had all of the lights off so it was just the lights on the console (and a 15" monitor). I think I lasted 45 minutes before I nodded off. I guess nobody noticed because I didn't get fired. That band was locked in the A room for a month but luckily there was other stuff going on.

I've been close, but a session is a session! If it takes 3 coffees and a can of Red Bull, whatever it takes!
I can't afford to nod of when I'm getting paid :/

I've fallen asleep while mixing once though lol

Adderall, naturally.

I have done it on occasion, the occasions being a talented (and smoking hot) girl-with-a-guitar type artist and I'm watching levels and she literally put me to sleep. I told her I was pulling a Rick Rubin.

Never fallen asleep during a session whether it be track, mix or assisting, i did fall asleep in the studio once though while soldering some xlr - bantam cables on a maintenance day, it was literally for a few seconds and a jotted awake nearly burning myself with the iron :/

You should really make time for sleeping properly 6-8 hours a day. Everyday and at the same time. Also no lights, windows opened, noises, eating for 3 hours before you go to sleep. Lack of sleep can cause you health problems in the long run.

Last week I had a band in my studio at around 4PM. I'm usually taking a nap at that time but I couldn't get them on my schedule any other time. After finishing setting up everything I tell them you have a hour to get used to the headphones and record whatever you want. I hit record and I go to sleep. When I woke up they had already finished 2 songs. ;)