Have you listened to POT?

Have you heard POT

• Yes

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
Sound of White noise was going to sell well even if it had all fart sounds on every track. Same reason bands like Metallica sold tons of albums when Load came out. The success of the previous album had fans salivating for a new release. Back then there was no internet or any other musical outlet other than radio and mtv. Even the most die hard Joey era fans didn't really know what the Sound of White Noise album was going to be like. So most of the Anthrax fans who purchased it were obviously the Joey era fans. It did great at first, not because of how 'good' it was but because it had hype from how successful the band was previously. Then once people started reading reviews and noticing the major transition the album and concert ticket sales dropped dramatically. The labels could have put a billion dollars into the albums after SOWN and they still would have bombed. When fans stop coming out the shows (as evident on the Volume 8 and stomp tours) you know something is fucked. The only reason WCFYA had any success is because "Safe Home" got fairly significant radio play. If it wasn't for that you can argue that the entire Bushthrax era of Anthrax was a total bust not only financially but musically. SOWN is okay. Everything else was sub par and that is why it wasn't successful not because of label support.

I can appreciate the fact that you're trying to be consistent, however this arguments seems to be based on taste rather than unquestionable facts. I mean, "Safe Home" managed to regain some popularity for the band, yet it was even more pop-oriented than Only.

It might very well be that a more experienced record label was involved in the release of WCFYA, thus managing to push the album more than the previous two releases.

I'm not saying that the change in musical direction and change of vocalists didn't result in the band losing fans, however that can't be the the only reason considering that the "return to form" single that is Safe Home was an even further move away from the thrash roots of the band.

The only reason WCFYA had any success is because "Safe Home" got fairly significant radio play.
And who got the song airplay? Was it the ice cream man? The butcher at your local grocery store? Did Scott decide to personally send a copy to every radio station and call every single one and request the song himself? Or did the label actually push it and try to support the band, even just a little?

A little consistency would be nice. You've made it very clear that you think Anthrax's problem in the '90s was their change in musical direction, not their lack of radio airplay.

And answer this: if the music is all it took, why did groups such as Exodus and Forbidden have to disband during that period? Why did Testament not become even as successful as Slayer? Why did both Metallica and Megadeth change their core sound and become even more popular?

And who got the song airplay? Was it the ice cream man? The butcher at your local grocery store? Did Scott decide to personally send a copy to every radio station and call every single one and request the song himself? Or did the label actually push it and try to support the band, even just a little?

A little consistency would be nice. You've made it very clear that you think Anthrax's problem in the '90s was their change in musical direction, not their lack of radio airplay.

And answer this: if the music is all it took, why did groups such as Exodus and Forbidden have to disband during that period? Why did Testament not become even as successful as Slayer? Why did both Metallica and Megadeth change their core sound and become even more popular?

ooh I know, because there is a camp of Anthrax fans who for whatever reason want to constantly denigration the Bush years --- and are really more John Bush era Anthrax haters then they are actual Anthrax fans.

So they'll always find new and innovative ways to state their opinion that the Bush years of Anthrax sucked, and portray that opinion as fact.

ooh I know, because there is a camp of Anthrax fans who for whatever reason want to constantly denigration the Bush years --- and are really more John Bush era Anthrax haters then they are actual Anthrax fans.

So they'll always find new and innovative ways to state their opinion that the Bush years of Anthrax sucked, and portray that opinion as fact.

And that's fine if they dislike it. I just don't understand why it is that every single thrash band either changed their music to try to keep/gain fans or actually suffered so badly they needed to go on hiatus until the recent surge in thrash's popularity, but Anthrax was stupid to change their music. Doesn't make sense to me that something that affected every other thrash band during that era had zero impact on Anthrax. No, in Anthrax's case, it was music and John Bush that did them in. Right.

Have we forgotten that Anthrax is the band that made it cool to tell people to "suck my mother fuckin' dick?" :heh:

don't like the vocals very much, some songs are too long and boring, very good production though (killer bass guitar sound) and few standouts. Discharge is one of my most favourite Joey era songs.

Concur. and IMF09, I am not really trying to bag on Joey, just thought the overall "feel" of this album would fit Bush's vox better. It is a great album....just lacking a little "punch" that, in my opinion would have could have been better. SOWN, always sounded like a nice progression off this album and what they wanted to do. Plus, the lyrics were FAR better on this album than the prior two, and SOWN kept that going....

The only reason WCFYA had any success is because "Safe Home" got fairly significant radio play...

"What Doesn't Die" was on regular rotation on Much Loud here in Canada. I've never seen the video for "Safe Home". I never listen to the radio so I have no clue there. But really, who gives a shit? If regular air play speaks for how good a band is then Nickleback is awesome!
Hmmm... "Nickleback is awesome" three words I never thought I'd say together. :erk:

Concur. and IMF09, I am not really trying to bag on Joey, just thought the overall "feel" of this album would fit Bush's vox better. It is a great album....just lacking a little "punch" that, in my opinion would have could have been better. SOWN, always sounded like a nice progression off this album and what they wanted to do. Plus, the lyrics were FAR better on this album than the prior two, and SOWN kept that going....

No worries. I don't care if you or anyone slams Joey. Despite what people may think I really am not some die hard Joey lover. I think his era of Anthrax is far superior and IS the voice and sound of Anthrax

That being said. I still don't see any way you think a monotone John Bush would have made POT any better. Joeys vocals on POT were very diverse. I think John Bush would have made this amazing album not as amazing. Musically it is amazing, song writing, and vocally. Bush sang some of these songs on the greater of two evils and it was honestly terrible.

But i know you are a huge John Bush fan... I still don't know why some people are such die hard John Bush fans. He is a fine singer. But a little of his voice goes a long way and he really has no diversity. His range is very limited. You know what to expect when he sings. At least Joey has the ability to do different things with his voice. He can sing Journey, then go sing Dio, then sing a John Bush song, Go low and deep like some songs on POT, then sing as high pitched as you possibly can... then go bust out Rush.

POT was a materpiece and to suggest that John Bush would have made it better is just rediulous to me. You should never touch those materpieces, as evident on TGOTE

"What Doesn't Die" was on regular rotation on Much Loud here in Canada. I've never seen the video for "Safe Home". I never listen to the radio so I have no clue there. But really, who gives a shit? If regular air play speaks for how good a band is then Nickleback is awesome!
Hmmm... "Nickleback is awesome" three words I never thought I'd say together. :erk:

Radio play doesn't mean anything about how good a band is. But is surely has a lot to do with who shows up to shows and how many albums a band will sell. The only reason Anthrax was able to continue on for another year with John Bush in the band was because of the radio / video play.

If Anthrax didn't get any radio play (or video play for that matter) during the WCFYA album cycle they would have still been having a hard time filling small clubs. Even with the added exposure they had to do the reunion tour because financially they were done.

All in all the John Bush era of Anthrax was a huge flop for this band. They took a huge risk by changing their singer and style of music, I don't know how you can argue that this wasn't a huge mistake (business wise). It did absolutely nothing positive for the band other than gain some new John Bush era fans which was far outweighed by the number of Joey era fans they lost along the way.

Anthrax tried to follow trends and not start them. That killed them like it did every other band that tried to change their sound to stay 'relevant'

I still don't see any way you think a monotone John Bush would have made POT any better.

Joey is doing a great job on the album for the most part.
It's parts like "Blood on your hands, blood in my eyes ..." in Blood or "Who is evil, who is blind? In the name of who you'll find, ..." in Belly where I'm missing some aggressiveness which I guess John could have provided better.

Still, all in all: Persistence is a classic as it is.

Except for metallica, they have more money than jesus

Well yes Metallica certainly was the exception. A lot of bands tried to follow what they did and go more hard rock but it didn't work out so well.

Metallica had enough popularity to be able to play their songs at sporting events and what not. When they completely sold out with Load / Re-Load they got even more radio play and gained even more mainstream rock fans.

For some reason many of the die hard Metallica fans still stuck by them and continued to purchase their records and go to their shows. I personally disowned them after they put out the Black album. Never once have purchased a CD or bought a concert ticket. I wish more people would have done that but what ever. They know they are fags, and so do the rest of the Thrash bands from their era.

Megadeth did it too. Or are you saying that Countdown to Extinction thru Risk remind you of albums such as Rust in Peace?

Megadeth I have never been big on. Risk is a disgustingly horrible album. I liked their first few albums. Countdown to Extinction was a total Black Album wanna be. I hated it then and now. I don't have much respect for Megadeth. But at least those guys still semi sounded recognizable. Anthrax changed it so drastically with vocals and music that you wouldn't ever know it was Anthrax unless you followed them closely. When "only" was released as a single I would have never known it was Anthrax if the DJ didn't say so. Same with Safe Home or any of those other songs

Wait ... They released I'm The Man as an EP. The song was a fixture in their live set over the years. And they went on a co-headliner tour with one of the biggest rap groups ever.

What I don't get: You seem to have no problem with the rap-metal crossover thing the band did, but obviously have HUGE issues with their change of sound during the 90's ... Who's to blame then? John Bush or rather you?

I think if Megadeth hadn't released Countdown and decided to put out sequels of Rust In Peace every two years instead, Dave Mustaine would have had to call it quits years ago.

Listen, hell yea i listened, and listened, and moshed, and broke stuff and wore out several cassettes listening. Not to mention a lot of bike riding and then head banging behind the wheel.