Just cranked POT.... some thoughts.

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
Just finished listening to POT without stopping - thoughts.
OK, so I've just done some seriously long driving, and cranked out Persistence of Time on my trip. I was thinking about this stuff, and thought I should post some thoughts.....

1. Why does this record, with the obvious exception, get no love in the live setting???? Is it that there aren't many tunes on the record with a lot of crowd participation? What's the story there? Are the songs too long? Can understand this when the band has a 40 min set but what about their own headline shows??

2. Adding to above, In My World is seriously missing from their setlists. How Medusa gets a nod before IMW on the big 4 shows is beyond me.

3. POT is Charlie's best work. Some of his fills on Time, One Man Stands and Discharge are just godlike.

4. Discharge is Anthrax's most underated somg ever.

5. I don't really believe that John Bush would've made this record any better. (And I'm a big fan of his). Joey sounds great (happy IMF09, ha!) imho. Comment please, but don't bash and slam. I'm over it!

6. I have a bootleg video from 1990 from Osaka Japan, where they played Intro / Belly in their entirety. Killer. Would love to one day hear that again.

7. POT is still my fave Anthrax record cover.

There we go. Stuff I was thinking while driving and cranking and thought it was worth sharing. I was going to post this on the other POT thread, but it as usual turned into a complete Bush / Belladonna debate which isn't really what this is about. Your thoughts people??!!

"One day I'll get what's mine, through the Persistence of tiiiiiiiime!!!"

POT is my least fav. Joey-era album although it contains his best vocal performance in Thrax, some great songs like "Time", "One Man Stands" & "Discharge" on the album and some that i could do without, still a great record. they tried to slow down a bit and the album has a darker feel to it, with this album Thrax tried to be more serious and left the NOT-Man & Bermudas behind.

I don't really believe that John Bush would've made this record any better. (And I'm a big fan of his). Joey sounds great (happy IMF09, ha!) imho. Comment please, but don't bash and slam. I'm over it!

It's funny because I love TGOTE, but the songs from POT are the one's that sounded better with Joey and ironically are the ones Joey sang in a lower register. The only exception is "In My world" which wasn't on the US release anyway. But belly of the beast and keep it in the family weren't great. But the ATL stuff killed.

POT is a great album. Speaking for myself, there are absolutely zero tracks to skip, and when it's over, I want to listen to it again.

i was in the 6th grade when this one came out.
on the day it was released, i rode my skateboard to 'budget tapes & records' in smalltown williston, north dakota and bought the cassette tape which they had on hold for me. from the initial minimalist riffing in the opening track i knew right away that this was going to be an awesome album.

that opening down-picking part in 'time' is still one of my favorite anthrax riffs.

cheers to all POT fans!

great album,alot of classic thrax there,keep it in the family is one of the heaviest songs out,i am also at a loss as to why medusa made it ahead of songs like in my world and a.i.r etc,id love to find out wh ythe played that song,maybe it was a request from someone in metalica or one of the other bands,really no reason to play it although it is a great tune they have much better

OK, so I've just done some seriously long driving, and cranked out Persistence of Time on my trip. I was thinking about this stuff, and thought I should post some thoughts.....

1. Why does this record, with the obvious exception, get no love in the live setting???? Is it that there aren't many tunes on the record with a lot of crowd participation? What's the story there? Are the songs too long? Can understand this when the band has a 40 min set but what about their own headline shows??

2. Adding to above, In My World is seriously missing from their setlists. How Medusa gets a nod before IMW on the big 4 shows is beyond me.

3. POT is Charlie's best work. Some of his fills on Time, One Man Stands and Discharge are just godlike.

5. I don't really believe that John Bush would've made this record any better. (And I'm a big fan of his). Joey sounds great (happy IMF09, ha!) imho. Comment please, but don't bash and slam. I'm over it!

6. I have a bootleg video from 1990 from Osaka Japan, where they played Intro / Belly in their entirety. Killer. Would love to one day hear that again.

I agree, in their headline shows I'd have In My World, KIITF and Time every time. I'm sick of Got The Time. At the moment I'm fairly sick on the same Among.......... sogns that dominate EVERY setlist. I think Gridlock is their most underated song, a great lyric as well about their critics after the bermuda short / smiley face backlash. Joey is superb, as is all the playing, including the shortstack Spitz. Check out the Youtube footage of Time opening the show back in '91, amazing. Kerrang! said on POT's release that it had the obligatory crap Megaforce cover, which is crap. I still think the WCFYA is their best though!

A great album, and Joey's great vocal performance really makes me wonder why they decided to get shot of him. Anybody who turns that comment into another tedius JB v JB stand off deserves to get hit by a truck!

There we go. Stuff I was thinking while driving and cranking and thought it was worth sharing. I was going to post this on the other POT thread, but it as usual turned into a complete Bush / Belladonna debate which isn't really what this is about. Your thoughts people??!!

"One day I'll get what's mine, through the Persistence of tiiiiiiiime!!!"

Hammer. Nail. Head.
Couldn't agree more!

My first Anthrax show as at Thebarton in 1990 or 91 on this POT tour. Was absolutely brilliant.

Hammer. Nail. Head.
Couldn't agree more!

My first Anthrax show as at Thebarton in 1990 or 91 on this POT tour. Was absolutely brilliant.

You were there too. Shit, we must've been the youngest kids at that show, ha!

POT is a great album in my book. While it's actually my least favorite of the Joey-era albums, I still love it. I definitely appreciate that it stands as a unique album stylistically in contrast to the others.

Adding to above, In My World is seriously missing from their setlists. How Medusa gets a nod before IMW on the big 4 shows is beyond me.

Interestingly, Joey added In My World to the setlist in his solo shows over the last few years.

Well I think you know how I stand on this issue.

POT was amazing. Anthrax was at the top of their game. Proved they could still play heavy as fuck thrash metal yet be serious and add something more than just straight up Thrash like on Among etc.

They were playing arenas during this era. They had everything going for them. They were on the verge of being the next 'slayer' or 'metallica' 'pantera' etc. But they decided to completely change their music, get a new singer and ruin what they were doing. Very very baffling.

POT was an album that not many John Bush era fans want to listen to because they know Joey rules on that album. But what ever.. I don't need to justify it. Just look at what happened as a result of changing singers and style of music. It led to near bankruptcy as a band and small club tours.

Hopefully this next album is up there with POT as far as sound!

But they decided to completely change their music, get a new singer and ruin what they were doing. Very very baffling.

I thought so as well, then I heard the opening blast of Potter's Field and it all made sense!

No debate though about the downward career spiral thereafter:bah: