Headbanger's Ball is Back!!

Snowmaker

GO BLUE!!
May 13, 2002
New Baltimore, Michigan
www.faroffgrace.com
Starting Saturday, May 10 at 10PM, MTV2 will be bringing back Headbanger's Ball hosted by none other than Metallica (sorry, no Rikki Rachman).
For those that don't have MTV2, I've read that MTV will be showing it the following Tuesdays at midnight.

Also, Tuesday, May 6 on MTV they are having a special Metallica Icon (or whatever they call it). They have a new CD coming out June 10th and I guess MTV wants to milk it for all its worth.

Although there is no way I could ever be nearly as excited about all this as I was in 1991 when their Black album came out, I couldn't help but have a flashback when I heard all this on the radio this morning.

im actually looking forward to the new metallica. From what i have heard it sounds interesting. Lars even does a little double bass, so i hear. He is such a sub par drummer. hmm tangent.

I'm not looking forward to the new Metallica at all. It's going to be the same crap they've put out the last few years which has really sucked. They can't even cover a decent somg anymore!

As far as the Headbanger's Ball, it won't matter either. Bands like SyX, even if they made a video, would never get played on MTV. They will save it for the likes of Disturbed, Linkin Park, POD, etc. They won't bring in any prog. Hell, the only prog band to ever hit MTV was Dream Theater and that was when they were commercially popular with Images & Words. Fate's Warning had a video played for "Anarchy Divine", but at that time they were much more of a mainstream metal band. Popular metal today is not prog, so it won't be played.

scanner313 said:
Popular metal today is not prog, so it won't be played.
But what if it is played?

Nirvana wasn't really metal at the time, but Headbanger's Ball still played it.

Would you really want them to start playing Prog anyways. If they did, people would probably start saying shit like; Symphony X has sold out!".

Metallica will host the show? I thought the chick from Uranium was going to host it :confused: oh and btw, at what time are they going to show the MTV icon thing?

I'm hoping its going to be like their Extreme Rock show (which unfortunately airs at an unholy time of night), which has quite a bit of metal (Soilwork, Arch Enemy, Hate Eternal, Kataklysm, and Emperor have had videos played on there, among others), but that is about 50% nu-metal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed either way.

Frankly I prefer bands like Symphony X to not be played commercially..keeps the fan base smaller and more intimate. Makes concerts far more pleasurable to go to, keeping away the hoards of screaming teenie boppers.

But if its too un-popular (like it is) you wont be able to actually GO to the concerts. Plus, Prog will never be as popular as it was when Moving Pictures came out.

SilentRealm said:
Frankly I prefer bands like Symphony X to not be played commercially..keeps the fan base smaller and more intimate. Makes concerts far more pleasurable to go to, keeping away the hoards of screaming teenie boppers.

here, here

Quote: Originally Posted by SilentRealm
I don't think 16 year old chix are going to be saying "Yngwie Malmsteen YOOOHOOO!! I love you, Your soo sexy AHHHH!!YOOOOOO!!!WEEEEE!",

Do you?

SilentRealm said:
I've never seen what Yngwie looks like..maybe I should go check it out.

here's your modern day yngwie..not as aesthetically pleasing to the ladies these days..

fatyng.jpg

but nevertheless there was the younger more spiffy looking character here.. much alike me :D :D

youngyng.jpg