HeathenFest - GO SEE THIS SHOW!

SwordLord

Attack!
Sep 20, 2004
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.myspace.com
Everyone,

Last night was the Minnesota tour stop of "HEATHENFEST" which I promoted.

To say it was one of the best shows I've ever produced would be a gross understatement.

KIVIMETSAN DRUIDI is going to blow your mind. These guys and gal are really going places. Outstanding set and music. I hadn't even heard of them until last night and wow, did they knock me out!

VREID - musical force that you won't recover from anytime soon.

ALESTORM - I know the whole "pirate metal" thing has been beaten to death on this forum, so I'm not going to stir up that whole sh*tstorm again. Suffice it to say, if you like that style of metal, these guys do NOT disappoint live. They are a ton of fun - onstage and off.

BELPHEGOR - completely in top form with a sadistic brutality that I have not seen in their previous shows even though I have worked with them 3 times now and seen them 4. These guys will be the next Dimmu only better. Absolutely some of the best modern black metal currently touring.

ELUVEITIE - wow ... all I can say is wow! 8 people on stage and they produce a sonic experience unlike any other. Bought three of their albums at the show and have been listening to them all day ... wow, wow, wow!!

Here are the remaining tour dates if anyone has any interest - believe me, it's WELL WORTH your while to go!!

11/10/09 Jaguar Club – Lemont, IL
11/12/09 Jaxx – Springfield, VA
11/13/09 Masquerade – Atlanta, GA
11/14/09 TBA – Orlando, FL
11/16/09 Warehouse Music Venue – San Antonio, TX
11/17/09 Ridglea Theater – Ft. Worth, TX
11/18/09 Launchpad – Albuquerque, NM
11/19/09 The Sets – Tempe, AZ
11/20/09 The Roxy – Hollywood, CA
11/21/09 The Jumping Turtle – San Marcos, CA
11/22/09 DNA Lounge – San Francisco, CA
11/23/09 Hawthorne Theater – Portland, OR
11/24/09 Studio Seven – Seattle, WA
11/25/09 Red Room – Vancouver, BC – CANADA

Ok, I'm gonna weigh in here, since I was working with Nathan at the show last night. Take a lot of money if you plan on buying merch. It isn't expensive but there is a lot of it to choose from, heh. I felt bad for the merch guy, Steve, he has to handle 5 bands merch and each band has a huge amount to choose from. With that out of the way, here is my opinion of last night.

KIVIMETSAN DRUIDI - Not my thing. They would have been if there were no female vocals present. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sexist in the least, but goddammit, I hate operatic female vocals in metal. Granted, she doesn't sing all of the time, as I was told last night, the guitarist does a lot of deathy style vocals, but he couldn't sing last night due to being sick, so she did everything. Thrashy riffs, which were awesome, but I just couldn't get into it.

VREID - Holy fuck. That is all I can say. I ran merch for them at Heathen Crusade 2, so I knew what to expect, having been a fan of them for a while now. I got right in front of the barrier for them and they had a nice mixture of songs from Milorg and Pitch Black Birgade thrown in. They only played 6-7 songs, but they were awesome. The new album kills, Milorg, which is a concept album about the Norwegian resistance to Germany during WW2. One of the best albums of the year, hands down.

ALESTORM - I like these guys in passing, not really my thing, but I don't dislike them. They are entertaining live and had a good majority of the people there for them.

BELPHEGOR - Oh yes. I completely agree with everything that Nathan said. When they played Stigma Diabolicum, I almost lost my mind, definitely my favorite song of theirs. The only thing that kind of bugged me was the fact that every time I have seen them live, Helmuth is super serious on stage and such, really keeping up with his evil persona, but it seems that last night, and on many of the other stops on this tour as confirmed by the merch guy, that he just kind of lets it all go and jokes with the crowd a lot. Last night being no exception. He addressed the crowd in his best Arnold impersonation, the entire time, and snorted into the mic joking about swine flu and such. I almost died when he had everyone yell HAIL! and not everyone did. He showed his disappointment and some guy in the crowd yelled "fuck you!", where Helmuth responded, straight out of Commando, with "No, fuck you, asshole!". It was getting kind of ridiculous, even if it was funny.

ELUVEITIE - Great live band. I didn't watch their entire set as I was dealing with some other things and busy talking to some people, but what I did catch I enjoyed. I don't own anything by them but could definitely see myself enjoying them in a live setting again and possibly on cd.

Overall, the show was a hell of a lot of fun, Belphegor and Vreid definitely did not disappoint, and starting load in at 3, combined with not getting home until about 4am, was definitely worth it.

Brent

I am a big folk metal fan and I am skipping this tour. Vreid do nothing for me. I have thier first 2 disc and thought they were boring....they will never come out from Windir's shadow.

Alsestorm are great live. But they will be around again.

Not a fan of Belphegor....saw them open for Amon Amarth.....very generic and dull.

KIVIMETSAN DRUIDI - thought thier debut was good but not a band I would race out to see live.

ELUVEITIE - their last disc was dull. Without the brothers in the band...live they are just a bunch of people on stage. I was kind of bored the last time. nothing is going to beat that first time seeing them.

If this show was on a weekend here I would have gone. Not worth a day off of work.

anyone going to the Chicago date?

I was at the show on Saturday in Cleveland and had a great time.

KD - I thought were great! I guess I was lucky becuase the guitarist did his parts and I thought they sounded great. Bought their CD a while ago and was looking forward to seeing them, was not disappointed.

Vreid - The reason I went. I saw them at Wacken a few years ago and missed them at Heath Crusade, but man were they on! The really had the crowd going and seemed to enjoy themselves. I was hoping to run into them after the show to talk with them a little, but never got the chance.

Alestorm - I like these guys, I really do and the first time I saw them I thought they were great. This time, they were drunk (at least the bassist and singer were) and they were really, really sloppy. I was really disappointed and actually walked away halfway through their set.

Belphegor - I thought I would like them, I don't know anything about them and I believe seeing a band like this live for the first time is not a good way to get introduced. I couldn't get into them and left half way through fro my long journey home.

I still had a good time though. Now for some Vader, Warbringer, and Augury on Thursday!!!

I saw this show last Friday in N.Y. I missed KD. Getting out of work and driving two and a half hours to the show made KD expendable. ALESTORM fucking smoked as they always do. Their fun quotient is off the chart! BELPHEGOR was incredible as always and my second favorite draw after ALESTORM. BELPHEGOR are dark, heavy, and sinister. Loved 'em! VREID was a pleasant surprise. I will check them out more in depth. ELUVEITIE was cool, too.

I am debating if I want to truck on up there after work on Thursday (granted, Jaxx is only 1/2 hour drive from work). I am not a huge fan of any of the bands, but this may still be worth the short ride up there to at least go see for me.

I'll be there on the 13th as well. Should be fun, and it'll be cool seeing some of y'all there.
Kinda wondering/worried about what's gonna happen with WREKage later that night, since Brian/dcowboys311 was planning on attending, too.....

We had a strong response on contest ticket giveaways, too, so much that the Masquerade gave us an extra pair or two to give away....

Belphagor brought it. Having not heard or seen them before, I became an instant fan during their set. I wont go into why I liked them so much (because I don't want to turn this thread into an argument about it, goodness knows it would), but I came away from their set completely energized and satisfied.

Alestorm have really fun music and are very energetic guys. The crowd obviously loved them.

I didn't see enough of the other bands to justify commenting, but the night as a whole was very fun, had a great mix of metal, and oh yeah, the merch was great!

I'll find out tomorrow morning if I'm off work and even if I'm not, I'll try my absolute best to switch shifts with someone.

2 questions though:

1. Did they actually finally sell Spirit at the merch booth? I want to buy it but the past 2 times I saw them, they were only selling Slania.

2. I heard they played the Song of Life on 1 date but not on others...have they been playing it because that is my favorite song?

Anyways, I'm 99% sure I'll be there with 2 friends on Friday.

I'll be there at Jaxx! Really looking forward to this concert now, got off of class for it even.

Still up in the air if I am going. Really don't like the idea of driving up through this shitty weather to get there (yes, this rain and crap is to continue all through tomorrow and Friday). If was something that I am really interested in, I may do it.

I went to this Sunday nite in Detroit. Arrived just as Alestorm was finishing up because I went mainly to see Eluveitie. It was a great show! I just finished posting my review of the show with pix and setlist here: http://www.metalasylum.net/concertreviews/2009/cr0930.php.

Yes, they did play Song of Life in Detroit. Not sure about whether they were selling Spirit cd's or not, but they had a few different T-shirts.

Belphegor is definitely not my cup 'o tea, but I did get some descent pics of 'em anyway!

Yes, they did play Song of Life in Detroit. Not sure about whether they were selling Spirit cd's or not, but they had a few different T-shirts.

Thanks.

Just found out I'm officially off work all day. I'll be wearing my Ensiferum shirt with the huge viking on the front like I usually do. See you guys there. :kickass:

yeah it's going to be awesome... im going to the one on the 21st in los angeles at the ultra violet social club. really looking forward to seeing some of these bands live! especially Kivimetsän Druidi!!!