help...lost my growling skills

Drink warm water, not alcohol (it dryes you vocal chords). Stop doing if it hurts. Rest your voice. Dont try Varg style.

-That are my principles.

Mucus is made out of sugar ( the scientific name looks like mucopolysaccharide in french, which tells us that it's made of complex sugar I think ). Drink juice, it should help you make more mucus, orange juice is great for that !!!
Hurting your throat isn't good too, stop growling instead, in my opinion, it's more important to be able to speak all your life long then growling a couple of years.
Otherwise I don't know, practice to get some good technics that won't hurt you.
Hope it'll help you !

hmm if you use your gut your throat will feel nothing. and you can growl for days upon days. dont make me bust out my old old posts about using the gut and not the throat!!!!!!

well i read, that if you drink warm lemon tea, its a gentling agent on the throat and opend it. also using a humitifier will help too overnight, and wake up with a nice wet growl. and use the gut, not the throat, just like in regular singing, and breathing techniques... don't just force it out, or you will be left with a shitty growl in time, like you guys said. but i did read this in an interview with kittie's main singer (bad example...haha) but she sure can scream like hell, so it may help:)

If you want, I can wipe your ass for you too....

you growl with your gut not your throat. if you wanna use your throat then do it and dont blame me when after 30 seconds you start coughing and shit, and blood flows out of your eyes and ears! Use your gut, act like you are a fucking balrog trying to kill Gandolf and breathe fucking fire!! From the gut! its fun especially after you just had Wendy's or mickyd's! take your gut and vomit that shit, while you scare your friends so much that they vomit also!!

remember, your gut!!!
------------------------------------------------
dammit kid use your gut. your gut dammit!! Its so easy just act like you were kiling someone with a bat and make all of the sound come from your large intestine. Do you know how to make a deep burp, just do that but use your voice instead of spitting up yesterdays pizza all over your dog.
Growling is so easy, it comes natural just like shitting, burping, vomiting, and back flips, but just dont do all of those at the same time.
Just take all of that into consideration and everything in life will be great!
-------------------------------------------------
Do I have to come to your homes and show each of you. Maybe I could make that my job, teaching everyone how to growl, traveling around the world having conventions in giant stadiums.
Maybe I should put some commercials on tv, "Do you wanna growl, are you sick of waking up in the morning and not being able to growl like your favorite death metal vocalist...I know I was untill I tryed Darthlardos 5 step program. Just call 1-800-666-BOOB. You will recieve information like.
1. Make your neighbors think your satan.
2. How to shit sucessfully upside down.
3. Figure out how to growl by using your gut, you fuckers your gut
4. How to make lasagna.
5. And the final step, not using your fucking throat and using your gut you fucks, the gut dammit!!
and thats it just 4 1/2 easy payments of $6.66 using your Visa or Mastercard. and you to could one day be the next Elvis.
"And remember growling is from the gut not the throat and Im also a client."

Ive found that warming up is quite effective and important...just go around "humming" for a while, lower and lower, and you will be ready to go...and if you are to drink anything drink something smooth, nothing sour or bubbly (not sure what to call it, the think you get in sodas :p )

you shouldnt need mucus. what i did to get my voice to get low was get the sound to come from your gut. i actually started doing it by whispering to Cannibal Corpse. i found that the growls sound mostly like air. so i just worked my way up and just had it all come from the gut. it works well, but it takes a little while to get used to.

"use your gut" isnt very descriptive. I dont understand how you can do it loud and distorted without hurting your throat... I can yell, shout whatever from my gut but its clear.

@epicous
I started to gut growl. But it still hurts. Its kinda like burping...but I don't do growls anymore...

ginkgothian said:
Well..I read it. I tried it. Nothing happened. But I discovered a new technique that gets me dark,deep growls!! Unfortunately it hurts my throat real hard. As I type, I can't swallow anything without pain. :D

humm...isn't that funny as it appears to be...problem is:
I can't go back to the old technique....this is shit....gonna try it again tomorrow. Wish me luck...and a good growl to you :)

That's your vocal chords telling you that you're not doing it right. The sound comes from your stomach, not your vocal chords, they shouldn't be hurting like you say they are if you breathe from the stomach.