Help me choose a 7strings?

@rispsira

I have 3 Schecter 7s. One is an old model you would probably not be able to find.

The two that I play the most and love every minute of it are the Classic 7 (similar to the C7 but older) and a Griffon 7 and I must say, the Griffon 7 (which costs so much less) steals the show because it has a larger scale length and the tension on the strings is really nice. It cost me around $400 and I have had it for 4-5 years and this thing is great. It came with Duncan Design pickups and without any upgrades, it had really nice high output and the sound of it is just killer. I have been working on my bands album with it so I may be able to upload a clip of it soon.

What makes me sad though is that Classic 7 I have I started to realize that I couldn't get the tone or edge I wanted out of it so I spent the money and ordered a Duncan Distortion for it and this brought the sound closer to what I was looking for but I still could not get the attack I want out of it compared to the Griffon. After talking to some people about it, I realized it was the scale length.

I would suggest getting something with 26.5 scale length (like the Griffon has) and try to avoid anything lover on a 7-string. I think the Hellraiser would be sweet though I am not an active pickup type of guy. The Omen 7 is something I would avoid because of the smaller scale length though I do like the Omen 6.

Edit: I would get the 2010 C-7 Standard instead of getting the Hellraiser. Cheaper, passive Duncan Designs, and 26.5 scale length. Hell yes. If you want a little bit more than the C-7 Custom would rule too.

I own a Loomis and a Hellraiser and they're both great.

The 707's sound fantastic in the Loomis and the Ash body really gives it a nice bitey character.

The Hellraiser has an 81-7 in it which sounds amazing. I've never heard 707 in it because I bought it used and the pickups had already been swapped, but I imagine it would still sound great. You'd have to maybe compensate with a little more treble/presence on your amp though because the Hellraiser is already a dark sounding guitar.

There are the Blackjack series as well which are supposed to be really good and come with blackouts. I personally tried the blacouts and I don't like them - too grainey and lacking the mids/tightness of EMGs (in my personal experience) but you could always give them a shot. It's an easy swap to EMGs anywy if you wish to go to them. The olny difference between Blackjacks and Hellraisers besides the pickups I THINK are the finishes and the fretboards?

@rispsira

I have 3 Schecter 7s. One is an old model you would probably not be able to find.

The two that I play the most and love every minute of it are the Classic 7 (similar to the C7 but older) and a Griffon 7 and I must say, the Griffon 7 (which costs so much less) steals the show because it has a larger scale length and the tension on the strings is really nice. It cost me around $400 and I have had it for 4-5 years and this thing is great. It came with Duncan Design pickups and without any upgrades, it had really nice high output and the sound of it is just killer. I have been working on my bands album with it so I may be able to upload a clip of it soon.

What makes me sad though is that Classic 7 I have I started to realize that I couldn't get the tone or edge I wanted out of it so I spent the money and ordered a Duncan Distortion for it and this brought the sound closer to what I was looking for but I still could not get the attack I want out of it compared to the Griffon. After talking to some people about it, I realized it was the scale length.

I would suggest getting something with 26.5 scale length (like the Griffon has) and try to avoid anything lover on a 7-string. I think the Hellraiser would be sweet though I am not an active pickup type of guy. The Omen 7 is something I would avoid because of the smaller scale length though I do like the Omen 6.

Edit: I would get the 2010 C-7 Standard instead of getting the Hellraiser. Cheaper, passive Duncan Designs, and 26.5 scale length. Hell yes. If you want a little bit more than the C-7 Custom would rule too.

Hey man i never heard about the Griffon ill check it out thanks for your reply!!
Isnt the hellraiser 26.5 as well? i think so.
You know what i made up my mind. I was able to try a C7 custom and it was seriously really good. The neck i think is thinner than the hellraiser which is what im accustomed to.

BUT:
- i dont care about being in my comfort zone (how thin the neck is) i care more about the sound.
- I personally made up my mind concerning passives/actives. I have what i consider at leats to be a WONDERFUL passive pickup guitar. I should go for a different sound this time around to have many options for recording.
- Some active pickups can easily be switched so i dont care right now between the blackouts and EMGs though i thought from what i heard online but these werent direct comparisongs, that the blackouts seemed a bit less "defined" dirtier"? i might be wrong.

SO:
Now its the simple question what ACTIVE 7 guitar to buy.

-So far everybody around me tells me the loomis, but my research here says otherwise. I really wish i had comparison clips... ;(
- I have heard other suggestions but so far i didnt find another active 7 guitar that convinced me to ask about. So its not to late to give other suggestions?? the thing with 7s is there doesnt seem to be much options..

I own a Loomis and a Hellraiser and they're both great.

The 707's sound fantastic in the Loomis and the Ash body really gives it a nice bitey character.

The Hellraiser has an 81-7 in it which sounds amazing. I've never heard 707 in it because I bought it used and the pickups had already been swapped, but I imagine it would still sound great. You'd have to maybe compensate with a little more treble/presence on your amp though because the Hellraiser is already a dark sounding guitar.

There are the Blackjack series as well which are supposed to be really good and come with blackouts. I personally tried the blacouts and I don't like them - too grainey and lacking the mids/tightness of EMGs (in my personal experience) but you could always give them a shot. It's an easy swap to EMGs anywy if you wish to go to them. The olny difference between Blackjacks and Hellraisers besides the pickups I THINK are the finishes and the fretboards?

Thanks for the reply Dylan! i wish you had 707 is both haha! but sriously may i ask you what you think:

-Is the Loomis a bright guitar
-Or the hellraiser a dark guitar

And what amps are you using it with?

Thanks!

PS: i was very afraid this would trun into another loomis vs hellraiser thread:erk: but hopefully ill get other active guitars suggestions
But only active please ;)

Thanks for the reply Dylan! i wish you had 707 is both haha! but sriously may i ask you what you think:

-Is the Loomis a bright guitar
-Or the hellraiser a dark guitar

And what amps are you using it with?

Thanks!

PS: i was very afraid this would trun into another loomis vs hellraiser thread:erk: but hopefully ill get other active guitars suggestions
But only active please ;)

The Hellraiser sounds a little bigger/darker whereas the Loomis has a bigger bottom end and a snappier high end but sounds slightly less full. These differences are only minor however and I wouldn't say one sounds BETTER than the other. They're both fantastic.

The 81-7 in the Hellraiser and the 707 in the Loomis (bridge positions) make them sound similar enough to not change amp settings when going between the two live, but the different characteristics of the guitars still come out.

I have a 3 channel Dual Rectifier and a 6505+, as well as a Marshall 1960 cab and a Mesa Stiletto cab. All the combinations sound great with both of the guitars.

As I said before, I'd recommend them to anybody. They may be a little bigger and harder to play (for some people) compared to smaller guitars like Ibanez, etc, but in my opinion you get more guitar for your money.

@Joshua: i had planned on buying the rusty model a long time ago and then change dmy mind by today i honestly can remember why much haha. Ill keep this in mind and look at it again

@Dylan: man you have been so helpfull thank you for putting all the time answering my annoying questions and chiming in. :headbang: