Help me choose cds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Ok, I've just some vouchers to spend on cds for my birthday and want to expand my metal collection (non metal too big :eek: )

So can some people give me a quick rundown on the different albums of:

Borkagnar
Candlemass and Dimmu??

Cos, I want some and don't know whee to start.... Not necesarily which is ur favourite (that as well tho), just what defines them or how they're different to other albumsso I can see which my favourite is likely to be...

Cheers :D

Personally, Stormblåst is the only Dimmu album that kind of caught my attention. Will buy that one eventually, but it hasn't a high priority on my list.

And hey.. Darkthrone with "good" production isn't Darkthrone. Definitely get one of the four first ones, excluding Soulside Journey. My suggestion would be Transilvanian Hunger or A Blaze In The Northern Sky.

Originally posted by phyre
Personally, Stormblåst is the only Dimmu album that kind of caught my attention. Will buy that one eventually, but it hasn't a high priority on my list.

And hey.. Darkthrone with "good" production isn't Darkthrone. Definitely get one of the four first ones, excluding Soulside Journey. My suggestion would be Transilvanian Hunger or A Blaze In The Northern Sky.

I've got "a blaze" but don't listen to it too much because of the god awfal production. Which is their most melodic?

And cheers Hearse I'll take what you say on board! Also which is their least heavy and most melodic? (could be one or two albums :D )

i agree with Phyre, Stormblast is actually the only Dimmu album i like ...

for Borknagar, that question is quite hard, the last three albums are masterpieces ...
i'll maybe take Quintessence first, because of Colossus which is by far my favorite Borknagar song, but it hasn't the godly vocals of Vintersorg (which is in the band since Empiricism) ...
i think i'll choose Quintessence, then Empiricism, then The Archaic Course, but they are all good

Originally posted by aegis
i agree with Phyre, Stormblast is actually the only Dimmu album i like ...

for Borknagar, that question is quite hard, the last three albums are masterpieces ...
i'll maybe take Quintessence first, because of Colossus which is by far my favorite Borknagar song, but it hasn't the godly vocals of Vintersorg (which is in the band since Empiricism) ...
i think i'll choose Quintessence, then Empiricism, then The Archaic Course, but they are all good

Hmmm, all I really need is a rundown of the differences between them all then I can choose which one I'll like the best :mad:

But neway, cheers :D I have a track of the genuine pulse which raaawks, so I may get that one, or empiricism as I've heard thats one of the best already :D

*tears of joy* finally somebody understands that that's how it's supposed to be ( :mad: ) :D

i've heard though, more than once that Transilvanian Hunger is the only one that doesn't sound like crap, maybe you should go with that one.

.....and first Borknagar, it has Garm (Ulver) on vocals so it can't be bad :D

Originally posted by astarte
*tears of joy* finally somebody understands that that's how it's supposed to be ( :mad: ) :D

I understand thats how its supposed to be, it doesn't stop it getting on my tits majorly tho (metaphoricaly speaking of course, if I had tits I wouldn't be typing now ;) ) I read in a review ravishing grimness was more melodic than many of their albums, is that true?

Originally posted by godisanathiest

I understand thats how its supposed to be, it doesn't stop it getting on my tits majorly tho (metaphoricaly speaking of course, if I had tits I wouldn't be typing now ;) ) I read in a review ravishing grimness was more melodic than many of their albums, is that true?

Nope, not really. Just generally worse and more boring. The first four black metal albums ARE Darkthrone. If you do not like Transilvanian Hunger, you will probably not like any Darkthrone. Except maybe Soulside Journey, which was Entombed-style somewhat technical death metal and completely different to the rest of the releases.

Nope, not really. Just generally worse and more boring. The first four black metal albums ARE Darkthrone. If you do not like Transilvanian Hunger, you will probably not like any Darkthrone. Except maybe Soulside Journey, which was Entombed-style somewhat technical death metal and completely different to the rest of the releases.

I like "A Blaze" I just don't listen to it because of the production, but if it's better on "Yransilvanian Hunger" I'll try that one :D It is after all in the mid price peaceville section :D

Oh no no. Don't get me wrong, the production on Transilvanian Hungers is absolutely ABYSMAL. Tape hiss, blurred drums and abrupt song endings all over the place. The atmosphere is thick enough to cut with a knife though, which is good enough for me. Panzerfaust is probably the only Darkthrone album with worse production (excepting Goatloard perhaps)

The most melodic darkthrone would probably be transylvanian hunger or panzerfaust. the production is not too great, but less thick than a blaze...if that makes any sense. more clear, thought he vocals on panzerfaust are too loud.

dimmu: the new is good, but not a masterpiece. there is a lot of stupid shit, esp in the vocal department. though the producition and music mostly rules. i'd get enthroned darkness triumphant. that's a good one to start with. more 'black metal' than the newest one.

get all borknagar. its all good. the new one is amazing. quintessesnce was good, but weak in parts. the archaic coures almost perfect and the first two are great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.