Jul 20, 2001
CA, USA
With the following qualities:

Extremely heavy guitar and drums
Not all super-fast songs
Low scream/growl similar to Meshuggah or later Opeth
High technical proficiency

Thanks...

Umm I can't think of much that fits your description perfectly but...

Summoning is a great symphonic metal with some pretty powerful sounding stuff, check out the song "Like some snow-white Marble Eyes"

Borknagar is a perfect black metal band, you probably have heard them...

HOLLENTHON, this band has been discussed many times on this board, and they are just about the only band that I can see matches, in my knowledge, your expectations.

That is ok I guess... I am not too sure, I tried... :confused: :)

How about-
Dan Swano's Moontower
Godgory -Resurrection
...and oceans-AM GOD
Borknagar-Quintessence
for great musicianship with "growls"

or-
Nevermore-Politics of Ecstacy
Symphony X-Divine Wings of Tragedy
for great musicianship without the "Growls"

I have to second HOLLENTHON.....their first album is amazing, "Domvs Mvndi"...The second album is even better, more heavy.."With Vilest of Worms to Dwell"...try out a few songs if you use audiogalaxy..

"Conspirator"
"Woe to the Defeated"

I also think Agalloch fits what you are looking for...but Hollenthon has put out the best album of the year with "With Vilest of Worms to Dwell" and it just blows me away.

Wow, at the moment Hollenthon are impressing me quite a bit. I've heard Woe to the Deafeated and Conspirator. Are the other songs on the album close to as good as these ones?

Originally posted by Useful Idiot
Wow, at the moment Hollenthon are impressing me quite a bit. I've heard Woe to the Deafeated and Conspirator. Are the other songs on the album close to as good as these ones?

Hollenthon has yet to do one bad song. Try

"To Kingdom Come"
and
"Fire Upon the Blade"

next....but in truth, if you like those two songs, you are going to like anything from them. The new cd is in my player almost non-stop..

Well I know alot with highish vocals, but I'd have to say Edge of Sanity (although not too technical), Amorphis (Kariliean Isthmus), Garden of Shadows, and The Forsaken.

My only complaint of Hollenthon is the slightly alien or electronic aspect of the growling. The music, however, is sheer brilliance.

the slightly alien or electronic aspect of the growling.
It does seem to be more so on the MP3 files next to the actual cd..on top of that, the songs scratch a lot on the MP3 files, and do not on the CD...

It does seem to be more so on the MP3 files next to the actual cd..on top of that, the songs scratch a lot on the MP3 files, and do not on the CD...

I haven't really noticed that much difference between CD and mp3 quality, (assuming mp3 quality is standard 128 kbps), except for a glitch or two, every now and then in a file, but then you get small skips in CDs too after a while.

But anyway, I didn't really think that Hollenthon were the type Useful Idiot was looking to get music from, as he described it he wanted

Extremely heavy guitar and drums
Not all super-fast songs
Low scream/growl similar to Meshuggah or later Opeth
High technical proficiency

In all honesty, and I had a friend recommend them earlier, the song God Dethroned - The Grand Grimoire is a very good example of all those qualities. To this day, I still wonder how it is that they contain so much aggression into their music. The growls may be slightly too high, but not much. It fits the music though. Of course the technical proficiency is excellent...My attempts to count the number of guitars in this song still have not succeeded. Other songs by them are good also, preferably off the CDs The Grand Grimoire or Bloody Blasphemy. I don't really like Ravenous, their new one, as much. They also seem to be a little eclectic, which I consider a great virtue.

even at 192 I can tell a HUGE diff between a CD and mp3....so much so I almost hate MP3 at times. The MP3 files of Hollenthon are almost a shame....tears the songs up.

Extremely heavy guitar and drums-Hollenthon
Not all super-fast songs -Hollenthon (esp on their first album)
Low scream/growl similar to Meshuggah or later Opeth (well not really Hollenthon, though they do have low scream growl..just not Meshuggah)
High technical proficiency (Hollenthon)

I feel it fits...