Help me find a band

Originally posted by godisanathiest
What about TSE? That rocks!!

Post-Darren Anathema has never been as good in my opinion (with the possible exception of "Eternity"). "The Silent Enigma" has all the right elements but it never quite comes together (except for the title track).

SYMPHONY X SYMPHONY X SYMPHONY X and more SYMPHONY X is what you need Useful Idiot

Useful Idiot....Symphony X is a great band if you like that pussy-lead singer voice..you know, like Dream Theater. I am not saying it is bad, but it is higher pitched..(and I like Dream Theater and SYMPHONY X a lot)

Extremely heavy guitar and drums ...they have fast guitar and drums, but not real heavy..

Not all super-fast songs ....yeah this fits...but they can play fast

Low scream/growl similar to Meshuggah or later Opeth ...lol, not EVEN close

High technical proficiency ....yes, in fact, the lead guitar is one of the best out there....no joke.

As far as testing out songs, just put in their name into a search, and anything that pops up is going to give you a taste of what they can do..but unless you like your lead male singers to sound like they have had their balls cut off, you are not going to like them, even if you are blown away by the guitar...

Originally posted by Useful Idiot
What are some good Anathema and Symphony X songs that would give me an idea about their general sound?

Anathema songs: anything from "Serenades", "Crestfallen", "Pentecost III".

Some particular tracks are "Lovelorn Rhapsody", "Sweet Tears", "They (Will Always) Die", "Sleepless", "J'ai Fait Une Promesse", "Crestfallen", "Everwake", "Kingdom", "We, The Gods".

I envy you if this is the first time you'll be listening to these songs. Of course you may decide that you don't like them. But I hope you do. Just keep an open mind.

Originally posted by Useful Idiot
What are some good Anathema and Symphony X songs that would give me an idea about their general sound?

If you want to find some MP3's quickly, go here:
http://listen.to/anathema

It's Anathema's site. To get an idea of their early stuff, listen to 'Eternal Rise of the Sun'- not as awesome as some of their other old stuff, but it's still a really really good song, and it has all the old elements: darren's strange lyrics & vocals, atmospheric guitars etc..
For the newer stuff, try 'Eternity part 3'. It's an acoustic version of one of their metal songs, but it'll give you an idea of what to expect, in terms of the emotional content and song structure.