help me get into thrash metal

Jun 18, 2008
i have been meaning to expand more into thrash metal...i dont really listin to the real straight up thrash metal but i would like to start. i like some bands with a heavy thrash influience like...

ringworm
darkest hour
god forbid
the miscreants
unearth(in the eyes of fire)
the abscence

this is mostly metalcore/melodeath but i was hoping i could get some thrash recs based on these bands. i like heavy vocals usually and i really dont like metalica.

I don't know any of the bands you mentioned, mind you. These are essentials if you want to get into thrash:

Sodom - Agent Orange
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Testament - The Legacy, The Gathering (if you like heavy vocals you'll love this one)
Kreator - Coma Of Souls
Watchtower - Control And Resistance
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Anthrax - Among The Living

If you like the Absence you should dig Kreator's new album, which comes out in about 2 weeks iirc.

The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire (a nice and truly epic take on it, combined with death and doom metal influences)
Believer - Sanity Obscure (expansive, destructive guitar tone, and some added technicality)
Sodom - M16 (this band is the 5 star chef of meat-and-potatoes heavy thrash depending on the album)

and if it sounds interesting, later Immortal is more or less thrash as well, blackened thrash, but true thrash metal still makes up a big part of the sound. Actual neck-snapping dynamics happening.

If you could OP, what about thrash is making it hard for you to get into it? That might help to narrow it down to some gateway bands.

notice the OP said
i assume he means vocals more like Testament and Slayer and not the higher-pitched raspy vocals common to most thrash.

Some of Araya's vocals are quite high. That shrieking makes my toes curl. :ill:

Kreator & Anthrax have lower pitched vocals. Main reasons why I still listen to thrash.

^yeah sometimes. i hate when he does that. though i like his vocals in, say, Bloodline.

btw, holy shit, Sodom is great.

Fuck the Police
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrZo8s1GFzM&feature=related[/ame]

City of God
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa6cINHLqRc&feature=related[/ame]