Help me Poking Holes in those guitars!!

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
for christ sake i cant seem to be able to clean those guitar tracks, when i miced them i was quite sure they sound good, but now i see how boxy they are. i am trying ermz methods of cleaning the things up, but i cant succeed doing it..

what do you think??

guitar in mix-

raw guitar - no processing-

Last edited by a moderator:
the problems i am facing is that i lose attack and depth when doing those cuts at 600

how did u get the mix so clar and loud? what was your guitar chain and master chain?

Dont you find the mix is bad then? i find the guitars to be dull. anyway i used sknote stripbus on guitar tracks, the just eq, fabfilter pro q. on master chain i had the bus plugin, ssl style master comp limiter and gclip

actually i am not sure the raw guitars are bad. maybe they just dont match the mix?

Sounds more like the stereo field is messed up in the mix, I can't quite put my finger on it. Are the guitars hardpanned? Synths sound like they're panned further out than the guitars, try making it the other way around. Also the snare and kick are way loud.

Drums are overpowering the guitars, the hi hats is way too loud too. But mostly, you seem to have eq'd your guitars to hell while the raw didn't need much, you have clearly overdone it. Everything sounds super hollow, it's lacking mids.

yea i hard panned the guitars but i really increased the stereo image of the synths maybe that causes it?. do you find the all drums mix is too loud? because kick snare and hi hats is quite everything...

i am having hard time to clear the guitars though. i agree i overdone it... is it possible you think to clear the raw? or it needs retracking??

thanks guys

Brett- dont you think the guitars needs too much sound shaping then? i find it really hard to mix without a reference mix, but it seems hard to find a mix that has similar guitar sound..

i actually never mixed without a refernce mix, at least to get some perspective.. how do you suggest to approach for this?