Help picking Non-metal

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
I have an assignment in my audio recording class. We are going to have to record a cover of a song, aiming for the same exact production qualities as the original (i.e. we are trying to make the cover sound exactly the same as the original, both in the performances and the production values).

Here's the thing--we have to pick a pop song that practically everyone recognizes. Also, it must have bass, electric guitar, drums, lead vocals, background vocals, and something "extra" (such as a piano, organ, acoustic guitar, etc.)

The fact that I can't really think of any songs that fit this has been sort of an eye-opener. I realized that probably over 95% of my intentional music listening is metal, and probably 80-90% of that is death metal specifically.

Anyway, I need some "pop" song suggestions that fit those parameters. Can you think of anything?

Thanks, sons

I have an assignment in my audio recording class. We are going to have to record a cover of a song, aiming for the same exact production qualities as the original (i.e. we are trying to make the cover sound exactly the same as the original, both in the performances and the production values).

Here's the thing--we have to pick a pop song that practically everyone recognizes. Also, it must have bass, electric guitar, drums, lead vocals, background vocals, and something "extra" (such as a piano, organ, acoustic guitar, etc.)

The fact that I can't really think of any songs that fit this has been sort of an eye-opener. I realized that probably over 95% of my intentional music listening is metal, and probably 80-90% of that is death metal specifically.

Anyway, I need some "pop" song suggestions that fit those parameters. Can you think of anything?

Thanks, sons

Trying the non-metal forum would be helpful

Anything off of Elliott Smith's first three records. If you like his music from what you hear on myspace/youtube, I can help ypu pick a song to do.

A great singer-songwriter that was dark as fuck. His early music was rather lo-fi but highly interesting.

over the hills and faraway by gary moore. it was also covered by nightwish and thyrfing (the thyrfing version is the best).

its a pop song that gives you the depth you want instrumentally. its folky, poppy, and heavy all at the same time. such a bad ass song

or you can to the disco song rasputin, which was covered by turisas (once again, the metal version is better. or how bout maniac...
~gR~

videos of over the hills and far away

original:

thyrfing:
(not a video really)
nightwish:

rockin song!
~gR~

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a Queen song. They use piano and all of the other instruments you talked about, and they have vocal harmonies and backing vocals. It shouldn't be hard for you to find a song you can do, since they have so many popular ones.

Elliott Smith isn't something everyone will recognize, and neither are most of the other songs picked here.

well, i think everyone has atleast heard gary moore's over the hill and far away in one form or another
~gR~

Do a Queen song. They use piano and all of the other instruments you talked about, and they have vocal harmonies and backing vocals. It shouldn't be hard for you to find a song you can do, since they have so many popular ones.

Elliott Smith isn't something everyone will recognize, and neither are most of the other songs picked here.

Why did you bold it?

Queen is boring. Do a Beatles song. OR! Care Of Cell 44 by The Zombies.

No idea. CCR? If anything, they ought to have the most instantly recognizable songs ever at least.

Why hasn't this been moved to non-metal?

Anyway, try some of the following:

Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4, You're the Inspiration, Saturday in the Park, If You Leave Me Now
Huey Lewis - The Heart of Rock and Roll, Hip to be Square (fucking infectious!)

Both bands utilize all you're looking for, including something extra (sax, trombone, etc)