Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

...god damn it. :lol:

Okay give me some time to think of a new theme.

T.S.O.L. wasn't even my first choice, I just chose it to make sure the playlist at least had something somewhat heavy and energetic in there. I almost submitted a Misfits song and this was my actual first choice:

Last edited:
Okay fuck it, I liked that idea when it was originally mentioned so imma go ahead and steal it. Also that means if this playlist ends up sucking balls I can't be fully blamed for it.

2016-06-01-point-break-utah-brodhi-jpg.jpg

SURF THEME

Songs can be about surfing both literally or in some kind of abstract way, or it can be in the surf rock genre with any kind of lyrical theme.

Send me your shitty submissions.

Last edited:
ofbnUFI.jpg

Demented Are Go! - Surf Ride to Oblivion
Enjoyed the music, just wish there was more going on vocally. 6/10.

Ghoul - The End?
I can picture myself riding down the line to this on an ominous day. 7/10.

The Ventures - Wipe Out
Very cool performance, especially with the two drummers, but I can't reward such an obvious selection. 5/10.

Rihanna - Diamonds (Surf Version)
But why did this happen, why?? 2/10.

Secret Chiefs 3 - Waves of Blood
A little too much fuzz and whatnot on this one. 5/10.

Pearl Jam - Gremmie Out of Control
This is a biased surf rock classic! 10/10.

B-52's - Rock Lobster
Sounds better here than when people perform it on karaoke night. 7/10.

Agent Orange - Pipeline
This was yawn-inducing. 4/10.

The Atlantics - Bombora
An engaging soundtrack to a nifty little video. 8/10.

Shit I really meant to get in on this one. Might listen and rate just because surf is an underrepresented genre.

Kurranulla-Wahines-Cronulla-1966.jpg

Demented are Go! - yeah l like this, kind of a fucked up morris dance 7/10

Ghoul - Digestor, Dissector, Cremator, Fermentor - line up and l'll fetch the bag you cack eyed fucking servants of punk 8/10

The Ventures - Probably the ultimate surf tune eva, and it cannot be beat. BUt then again..7/10

Rhianna - She has a glorious thick voice. l like occasionally retarding myself out for an hour or so every month, to inject myself with pop as it's presented. 7/10

Secret Chiefs 3 - So far l'm enjoying this playlist pretty fuckin cool, yeah another hit 7/10

Pearl Jam - These are some great tones here. Nothing special about the track so to speak but l dig it. 6/10

B-52's - Genius without questiion 10/10

Agent Orange - Pipeline - oh yewah baby! the trash version of an old haggard standard. joy! 5/10

The Atlantics - you didn't know this is the ultimatre surf tune? The ultimate surf tune ....10/10

Demented Are Go - Surf Ride to Oblivion
A bit too repetitive for my taste, therefore only 6/10

Ghoul - The End?
Also a bit repetitive, but better than the first one. 7/10

The Ventures - Wipe Out
The best one thus far, also because of the drum solos. 8,5/10

The studio version of this song is nothing to write home about, and the original live version is hardly any better, but this unusual arrangement is simply fantastic! It got me even headbanging in front of my PC - something which usually never happens. It gets even better with the speed turned up to 1.25. (I'd be curious to see the reactions from the audience, if she acutally played the song like this at one of her concerts, especially the metal part, but I suppose this is very unlikely to ever happen.) 10/10

Short, but decent. I'm surprised that this is already the third instrumental in this round. 7/10

Not really my cup of tea. 5/10

B-52's - Rock Lobster
Somewhat weird. I like the videoclip itself better than the music, which is a bit too monotonous for my taste. 7/10

Agent Orange - Pipeline
And another instrumental, unfortunately quite repetitive, but still 7,5/10.

The Atlantics - Bombora
The second best songs in this list. I especially like the guitar sound in the beginning, at 1:26 and 2:35 and also the solo parts. 9/10

I liked most of the songs in this round more than I would have expected. With a topic like "Surfing", I was expecting mostly stuff like The Beach Boys or what might have been the most on-topic song:

Since this list included a lot of instrumentals, this piece would also would have fit in nicely:

Demented Are Go - Surf Ride to Oblivion 6/10
I dig the sound, a bit repetitive though.

Ghoul - The End? 4/10
Occult trappings can't disguise cliche surf rock tune

The Ventures - Wipe Out 6/10
Cool version of a classic tune. Far too obvious though.

Rihanna - Diamonds (Surf Mix) 5/10
Kudos to the guy who made this, it's very clever and well done, but a polished turd is still a turd.

Secret Chiefs 3 - Waves of Blood 8/10
LOVE the filthy, layered sound. Definitely a fresh take on the genre and inventive drumming to boot.

Pearl Jam - Gremmie Out of Control 2/10
Bad. Just really, really bad.

B-52s - Rock Lobster 6/10
My favourite B52s song, but cmon everyone knows this already. Dubious relevance too

Agent Orange - Pipeline 8/10
A surf rock standard, but again LOVE the sound on this version, the jaggedness of the guitar tone, Scott Miller has the surf beat absolutely nailed.

The Atlantics - Bombora 8/10
Have heard this before, but had never known the artist. So I guess I can't deduct for obviousness. Guitar work far, far ahead of its time and still sounding fresh.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Sounding like something from The Munsters is “occult trappings” now?

I need to rate this list but I’m dreading it tbh. Not sure my own pick will even top a 6 on the scoreboard.

Reactions: CiG
Ok, a bit meh. 5/10

Ghoul - The End?
Better 7/10

The Ventures - Wipe Out
Pretty obvious pick 5/10

Rihanna - Diamonds (Surf Mix)
This was actually pretty entertaining. I've never heard the original. 7/10

Deranged psycho surf music is the best kind 9/10

Good lord what the hell is this shit 3/10

B-52s - Rock Lobster
Great song, pretty obvious though 5/10

Agent Orange - Pipeline
Pretty cool cover 6/10

The Atlantics - Bombora
Proper. 8/10

batmanland_-_batman_and_joker.jpg

7.5/10

Ghoul - The End?
8.5/10
At first I couldn't figure out which Ghoul this was, but then I realized it was the masked metal band Ghoul, but this track is a suitably non-metal slice of trve svrf rock.

The Ventures - Wipe Out
7/10
This song is rather obvious and played out, but they do really kill it on that dual-drum attack.

6/10
I'm not against it, but I'm not quite for it either.

8/10

5/10
Eddie Vedder's vocal performance here rubs me the wrong way, and I'm not even a big fan in the first place.

B-52's - Rock Lobster
7.5/10
A fairly obvious pick, but not the most obvious on the list.

Agent Orange - Pipeline
8/10

The Atlantics - Bombora
8.5/10
This one has quite an interesting sound.

Reactions: CiG