Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Evanescence - Like You 2/10
?$%#

Jacques Brel - Jojo 8/10
Brel was really the complete package as a singer/songwriter, musically inventive and influential, stunning voice, and unrivalled lyricist. This is not one of his masterpieces, but it's not far off.

Lill Lindfors - Manen 7/10
Delicate and beautiful. Wouldn't be out of place on Twin Peaks Season 3.

Chrissy Kiss the Corpse - Of Montreal 4/10
Like eating a bowl of sugar.

Necromancer - Gnarls Barkley 6/10
Great lyrics, I guess objectively it should rate higher but like most rap it sounds musically thin to me.

Alice Cooper - Cold Ethyl 6/10
Not my favourite Alice track.

TSOL - Code Blue 6/10
A band that never really clicked with me. I really like the slower, bass-heavy intro section, but the fast part sounds very Sex Pistols.

I'll get rating on this probably tomorrow - but just wanted to share some all time measurables of the game for anyone interested. This includes all data from this game and the Metal Themed Mixtape Game. I have to clean up a data point or two but it's some interesting information that's mainly accurate. If anyone is interested in seeing the raw data at any time to play with or just view (which does show all past themes and winners with dates) I'm happy to forward the Excel file.

upload_2019-3-5_22-35-22.png

upload_2019-3-5_22-35-33.png

upload_2019-3-5_22-35-42.png

Last edited:
NOTICE DOWNWARD TREND THIS QUARTER AND OVER TIME

x9dUvCu.jpg

Evanescence - Like You
Boring. She has a lovely voice but they are just so fucking predictable. Also yeah unless she's banging her dead sister I'm not sure we can count this as necrophilia. If you wanna get creative and say 'love' is necrophilia you're wrong. It got moderately exciting at the breakdown.
Would I fuck this dead body? Only in the mouth.

Jacques Brel - Jojo
The language and voice again makes this track. The backdrop is very pretty but it's not particularly special. That being said there's a palpable longing, and I find myself muttering 'Jojo' even after the song has complete so it has definite staying power.
Would I fuck this dead body? Nay, I'd take it out for a nice candlelight dinner and make love to it.

Lill Lindfors - Månen
I see no reference to necrophilia whatsoever in the lyrics, only a shadow of appreciation for the cycle of life. And that's a real fucking shame because it was actually a lovely tune, reminiscent of Fever Ray's better tracks.
Would I fuck this dead body? Uh. Pretty sure it's not dead. I could kill it but that'd be unfortunate.

Of Montreal - Chrissy Kiss the Corpse
Well it's on theme... it's also kind of annoying. I feel like I'm stuck in a funhouse.
Would I fuck this dead body? Well, it's in a circus tent surrounded by the children of hippies and I do have some morals, so maybe in the dead of night in a time of desperation.

Alice Cooper - Cold Ethyl
So this is like... good funhouse lol. This is night time drunken summer night funhouse. Just fun plain and simple - but not impressive.
Would I fuck this dead body? Sure, a few times, but I wouldn't bother trying to stave away the rot and would probably end it once it really kicked in.

Gnarls Barkley - Necromancer
Belongs on chill hip hop beats to study to - which I love. Creepy but not gothic. The downside is that production has no semblence of impressive instrumentation, typical of the genre.
Would I fuck this dead body? At the dead body lovers convention, alongside other dead body lovers, for it would be a process wholly carnal yet casual.

T.S.O.L. - Code Blue
I'm biased against this genre but trying not to let that sway me. It got almost surfy which was cool and the lyrics were sweet. I have not much to say on this.
Would I fuck this dead body? Yeah after a few drinks I think I'd fuck it but there'd be some regret.

Reactions: Sirjack
Evanescence - Like You
Not being an Evanescence fan, I actually liked this more than I would have expected. Since it said that "any sort of romancing with the dead qualifies", I don't see how this song is off-topic. 7,5/10

Jacques Brel - Jojo
Not exactly one of the types of music I usually listen to, also because songs only featuring vocals accompanied by acoustic guitar usually lack something for me, but after giving it a second spin, I'll rate it 7/10

Lill Lindfors - Månen
Perfect music to relax to and IMO a fine example of Ketil Bjørnstad's ability to write music to other people's poetry. With regard to what I already quoted in my comment about the first song, I don't see how this song is off-topic. 9,5/10

Of Montreal - Chrissy Kiss the Corpse
Not a fan of this type of 60ies sound. The lyrics sound like they are meant to be funny, but they don't make me laugh. 5/10

Alice Cooper - Cold Ethyl
Nothing to write home about. 5/10

Gnarls Barkley - Necromancer
Not a fan of rap, but still above average. 6/10

T.S.O.L. - Code Blue
Enjoyable. 7/10

Reactions: CiG
While most of the non-metal albums I listen to (and also most of the metal albums I buy nowadays) do in fact feature female vocals, this doesn't mean that I like an album just because it features female vocals. If you have a look at the total number of new albums I've bought in the last couple of years - whether it's metal or non-metal -, I can usually count them on less than one hand. And as far as hip hop/rap is concerned, it's simply not my cup of tea. I actually do have one album by Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five (including their hits "The Message", "New York New York" and "White Lines") and one by Grandmaster Melle Mel & the Furious Five which I bought in 1984/1985, but I don't think they got many spins. I haven't listened to them for more than 3 decades and I don't think I'll ever revisit them.

So can we just shoehorn anything in that might vaguely sort of be in topic in this thread and it’s okay?

Because it sure seems like it.

Reactions: CiG
Evanescence - Like You 10
Jacques Brel - Jojo 9
Lill Lindfors - Månen 9
Of Montreal - Chrissy Kiss the Corpse 6
Alice Cooper - Cold Ethyl 6
Gnarls Barkley - Necromancer 4
T.S.O.L. - Code Blue 6