Gama Bomb - Give Me Leather
A Forest of Stars - Children of the Night Soil
Lovebites - Rising
Azath - Bonecaster
Amorphia - Necromancers
Sulphur Aeon - The Summoning of Nyarlathotep

Last edited:
Black Viper - Metal Blitzkrieg
Pretty cool thrash/speed, heavily influences from the old greats. Nothing stands out as extra special but it's well crafted and would listen to more of this 8/10

Necrophobic - Mark of the Necrogram
Not in the mood for this music. Yaaaawn. Boring intro. Gets a bit more motion, but then often repetitive, and uninteresting vocals. Not the worst of this style at least 5/10

Invocation Spells - Victims of Doom
Some chromaticism adds flavor to an otherwise uninspired mix. Drummer used to be a punk drummer probably. Some sporadic unintuitive acceleration. Otherwise I'm not hearing a lot worth coming back to here 6/10

Spectral Wound - Black Satanic Glamour
tremolo pick tremolo pick bleaaaah bleueaaahhhh drum drum drum. I've heard it a thousand times by a thousand different bands. Honestly can't sit through the whole thing 3/10

Heh. It's Gama Bomb. Gotta love the sense of humor at least. Perhaps poking a bit of fun at Judas Priest ? Anyway I enjoyed this some but it's not their best ever 7/10

See this is much more creative sounding than that "Spectral Wound" track even though mostly in the same style. Tempo changes, effects, more interesting vocals. And then the harmonies/dissonances. Nice tense folky section. This is not something I'd listen to often but I kind of dig it actually 8/10

Lovebites - Rising
What is this babymetal goes to community college? Chicks look kind of good I guess. They clearly didn't write this themselves, and it's too polished/corporate as a lot of these are. Eh this is practically a disney soundtrack for Frozen 2 or something 5/10

Azath - Bonecaster
Really, really average/subpar/uninspired. Mostly monotonous. I'd practically rather listen to those chicks 4/10

Amorphia - Necromancers
Pretty solid thrash, vocalist reminds me of Kreator some, but good pacing. Changes of pace and cool solo, not overlong 8/10

Interesting use of sweeps in a main verse riff. Overall this song creates a consistent dark vibe, as though standing in some broken chasm in a storm. They do a good job maintaining this while keeping the song interesting with different vocal styles and drumming and such. Very cool 9/10

Black Viper - Metal Blitzkrieg 9/10
Neck-snapping speed metal from the depths of Norway! Punchy, urgent, vicious, raw, everything I want in heavy metal. Love the slicing melodies, hardly surprising that this slaughters most shit that came out last year since it's the lads from Deathhammer, Obliteration, Nekromantheon, Condor etc.

Necrophobic - Mark of the Necrogram 7/10
I love this kind of very efficient and spartan drumming. Metal needs a strong backbone if you ask me. I've not ever really delved into Necrophobic for some reason but this is cool so I should do so. Sounds like they have probably retained a lot of their credibility unlike most older bands still going, especially in black metal/death metal. Good sense of melody too.

Invocation Spells - Victims of Doom 7.5/10
This fucking REEKS with the vibes of old bestial metal, with that rock'n'roll Motorhead tinge to the riffs and totally worshiping Bulldozer in other parts. Straight to the point evil motorthrash, the riffing towards the end gets very spazzy and wild!

Spectral Wound - Black Satanic Glamour 7/10
Straight up assault on the ears. I really like the melody that moves in under the harshness at around the 1:10 mark that leads into the brief solo. Very nasty and punishing shit.

Gama Bomb - Give Me Leather 7/10
This is pretty cool, never really listened to these guys too much, I used to listen to Citizen Brain a lot actually but over the years just fell out of interest. This is some classic shit, cool hooks and vocal melodies, good riffs too.

A Forest of Stars - Children of the Night Soil 7.5/10
Very whiny vocals, not bad though but holy fuck. Sounds like a hilarious mixture of Rok from Sadistik Exekution and Corporate Death from Macabre. Weird shit.

Lovebites - Rising 6.5/10
Did some Googling and unlike Babymetal this band is genuine, the musicianship is genuine and they're not a corporate entity cashing in on the all-female gimmick. So I won't be dismissing them based on that, and actually the music isn't bad at all. Very high energy and positive, reminds me of a collection of anime end credit songs jammed together into a heavy metal format. Maybe it's just the nostalgia of that kind of thing but I'm enjoying this shit. Though on their Wiki there's no mention of X Japan being an influence, I definitely feel their spirit in this song at times, especially in the showmanship and the more soulpop vocals.

Azath - Bonecaster 6.5/10
This is absolutely filthy, but by the end I'm pretty bored I have to admit. Some really good riffs though, as well as some early Autopsy influence, has a lot of potential!

Amorphia - Necromancers 7/10
Reminds me of teutonic primitive thrash, but especially more recent band Evil Army. Definitely like these guys and hopefully they can help to lead a new wave of Indian metal.

Sulphur Aeon - The Summoning of Nyarlathotep 6.5/10
This is supposed to be death metal? Sounds like atmospheric black metal or some shit. Not really doing much for me, though I do appreciate the generally dissonant flavour of the music. I suppose it does whip out the death metal briefly around the 3:40 mark or whatever...

Last edited:
Black Viper - Metal Blitzkrieg 7.5/10

I thought this was pretty cool riffage, but honestly thought it could be shortened down by a minute or so. Still good stuff!

Necrophobic - Mark of the Necrogram 8/10

Holy fuck, now thats good! Never heard of these guys before but that was pretty cool. Theres a lot of black metal stuff on here.

Invocation Spells - Victims of Doom 7.5/10

Punchy riffs and solid sound, but gets pretty samey after a while.

Spectral Wound - Black Satanic Glamour 8.5/10

Cold and brutal, I dig it. Sounds like a giant whirlwind of fuck.

Gama Bomb - Give Me Leather 9/10

I watched the music video to this and it helped this rating, haha! Awesome vocals and riffs! Definitely checking this out more.

A Forest of Stars - Children of the Night Soil 4/10

Took too long to kick in and it didnt really keep my attention long, plus I dont care for those vocals. The intricate riffs are pretty cool though.

Lovebites - Rising 6/10

Hot Asian women playing heavy metal, I can dig it. Vocals fall flat for me though, and I dont really care for symphonic metal.

Azath - Bonecaster 9/10

Evil fucking death, perfect run time, and nasty meat riffs. Nearly perfect.

Amphoria - Necromancers 8.5/10

Those are some mean solos. All I gotta say.

Sulphur Aeon - Summoning of Nyarlathotep 9.5/10

Spot fucking on. I love that whole atmospheric progressive thing they got going on. Perfect way to run a 6 and a half minute long song. Not a second wasted.

Necrophobic - Mark of the Necrogram 8/10

Holy fuck, now thats good! Never heard of these guys before but that was pretty cool. Theres a lot of black metal stuff on it.

I recommend you listen to The Nocturnal Silence and Darkside. Both of which are much better than this imo, especially the former which is easily one of the best blackened death metal albums ever recorded.

This is one of my fave tracks from The Nocturnal Silence.

Reactions: Sophii
I recommend you listen to The Nocturnal Silence and Darkside. Both of which are much better than this imo, especially the former which is easily one of the best blackened death metal albums ever recorded.

This is one of my fave tracks from The Nocturnal Silence.

Those fucking inverted power chord/4th chords are massive as fuck.

There's some nice riffage to be found here. 6/10.

This is awesome! Loving the vocals and the blackened approach. I'm only familiar with their debut. 9/10.

The vocals could've been less muffled, otherwise solid effort. 7/10.

I find this pretty generic black metal. Sounds good for sure, but not standing out in any particular way. 6/10.

I don't know if the video influenced my decision, but that was not good. 4/10.

The tempest builds then breaks then explodes. Wild vocals. 9/10.

Lovebites - Rising
Bonus point for that dual guitar solo. 3/10.

Azath - Bonecaster
Now these vocals are outright buried, but I'd argue that they help the encoffinated feeling here. Some ripping little solos too. 9/10.

Amorphia - Necromancers
Standard thrash fare. 6/10.

Really sick atmosphere. Reminds me of Triptykon at times. Great closer. 9/10.

Reactions: Phylactery
A bit in the vein of Agent Steel's debut, also because of the vocals.I do like the solo parts, too. Very good! 8,5/10

One look at the cover and you already know what to expect. The music isn't that bad, but the blast beat parts (which I'm not a fan of, anyway) always sound the same to me (though, as I've learned today from this clip, there are in fact different types) as well as those pseudo-evil vocals. Without the blast beats and with less artificial vocals, I'd rate this higher than just 3/10

In spite of the production, I like this song better than the previous one. Not too fond of the vocals, though. I prefer my thrash pure (i.e. without the "black" in front of it), therefore only: 4/10

Is there actually anything which makes these bands different from each other - except for the name? Once again lots of blast beats, lo-fi production and run-of-the-mill Rumpelstiltskin-screams. 2/10

Don't know why, but a actually like this - in spite of the silly lyrics. One of the best songs in this list. 8/10

Mostly pretty generic stuff except for the violin-part from 4:05 to 4:50, which came as a bit of a surprise, and there were some barely audible female vocals for a brief moment. Judging by this live-clip of a full-show, it seems that the music of this band has far more to offer than this song might suggest. Unfortunately, the male vocals still ruin it for me. 2,5/10

Lovebites - Rising
While I'd like this song better with a somewhat rawer guitar sound (as they used in this song, which is definitely entering thrash metal territory and might have been a better choice) as well as less keyboards, I find it still very enjoyable, also in the guitar solo department. 9/10

Azath - Bonecaster
Lo-fi production - OK, it's just a demo - and my least favourite type of vocals, which sound like the vocalist is being strangled to death. 1/10

Amorphia - Necromancers
A decent thrash metal song. Seems like they tried to fit any known cliché into the lyrics. Therefore "only" 6,5/10

As regards the music, one of the better songs in this playlist. It gets somewhat generic at 3:36 and at 5:15, but only for about half a minute. I could imagine enjoying this song, if it featured just the moderate vocals used in some parts of the song, but the growling which is to be heard most of the time just goes on my nerves. 4/10

They clearly didn't write this themselves,
Why? Because they are females?

Reactions: Phylactery and CiG
oh look Burkhard downrated all the extreme metal that isnt thrash into oblivion and picked the most annoying song on the list, just like he does every round.

8/10.
Great high energy heavy metal is always a winner.

7.5/10.
Very solid bounceback from their worst album.

6/10.
Good black motor thrash whatever. It's all a little samey surely though. This has been in my cart at HHR for months now and even at $3.33 I havent pulled the trigger.

4/10.
Not really feeling this today. I liked it more before but not feeling it at all.

6/10.
I'm three albums behind on Gama Bomb at this point but this still just sounds exactly like the two I do own.

8/10.
I still havent ripped my cd version of this to mp3 because I'm so scared to fuck the the ridiculous special edition packaging. AFoS has always been a bit of magick for me and this album didnt disappoint. Generic ideas? No one sounds like AFoS.

Lovebites - Rising
2/10.
Cancerous Japanese Milli Vanilli power metal. I wonder if it wasnt so obnoxious, would it not feel so fucking fake?

Azath - Bonecaster
9/10.
Thank fuck for this after that last abortion. Blistering and nasty, nice rumbling vocals... truly old school evil sounding as fuck. The drum machine here is more believable than the girl in the previous video.

Amorphia - Necromancers
5.5/10.
Another thrash song I'd have never bothered with if it wasnt for this game and still wont afterward. Lots of fucking garbage can THWAP THWAP THWAP THWAP THWAP THWAP THWAP that's better suited to columbian brutal death metal.

8/10.
Interesting band that's been on my radar for a while now. A bit annoying that their music all sells for $15-20 per cd + shipping, as thats the higher end of what I'm willing to spend.

Reactions: Phylactery and CiG
oh look Burkhard downrated all the extreme metal that isnt thrash into oblivion and picked the most annoying song on the list, just like he does every round.
It does happen that people have different tastes. But what about this deal then: You name the death/black metal song you want to win - OK, it's obviously Azath's "Bonecaster" in this round - and I give it exactly the same rating as you did, if you in return give Lovebites' song exactly the same rating as I did. Sounds fair, doesn't it? No? Seriously, do you give songs you dislike a positive rating just to please others or to prevent them from complaining about you not liking specific subgenres? So far, there is no rule that people who don't like death and black metal, but who do like some stuff the majority here dislikes aren't allowed to participate in this game.

Personally I appreciate the fact you participate, even though you know going in you’re going to dislike a lot of the songs posted.

I don’t like you calling the vocals “artificial” or this Rumplestiltskin analogy you keep making. Why are harsh vocals any more artificial than any other vocal style? Unless you’re implying some of them are being modified by effects.

Last edited:
Personally I appreciate the fact you participate, even though you know going in you’re going to dislike a lot of the songs posted.

I don’t like you calling the vocals “artificial” or this Rumplestiltskin analogy you keep making. Why are harsh vocals any more artificial than any other vocal style? Unless you’re implying some of them are being modified by effects.

I don't intend to offend anyone personally. Of course, I could simply write a polite "Not my cup of tea./I don't like it.", but do the other members always remain polite/moderate when commenting about songs/music they really dislike? But I'll think about it. Maybe in the case of songs I don't like at all, it's better to just post my rating without any comment at all. Everyone will know why I rated the way I did anyway, won't they?

Depending on how you define "harsh vocals", I wouldn't say I consider all of them more artificial than other vocal styles. Let's take, on the one hand, for example Dawn Crosby's vocals, especially on "Recognize No Authority", which - at least in my book - also qualify as "harsh": I could imagine specific situations in real life where her voice would sound as angry as it does in the songs. If you take, on the on the other hand, either extremely deep vocals as e.g. those used in Azath's song in this round or the vocals used by (most) black metal singers, they are so "over the top" that I can't imagine any situation in real life, where these vocalists would sound exactly as they do in the songs. That was what I meant when I used the word "artificial". I'd say - there maybe exeptions to the rule - that if we stick to "ordinary" thrash metal (thus e.g. not blackened thrash), the vocals simply sound more natural to me than those of any black or death metal band. Another thing regarding these two types of extreme vocals is that their vocal range appears - at least to my ears - very limited, thus there's hardly any space for variation and the vocals sound very monotonous to me (the same goes for the harsh vocals in metalcore which I can't stand either). Since I'm not an expert on musical theory, maybe this is just my personal perception. Another thing is that the more extreme the vocals get, the less individual they get. Of course, this might again just be my personal perception, so I'm curious to hear if those who listen to lots of black and death metal could immediately tell apart all the different vocalists from each other just by listening to their voice.

One final thing. I remember that a while ago in another thread, someone found it a bit strange that I do like thrash metal, but not death and/or black metal. In addition to what I just said above, I can only say that the line between what you like and what you don't like can sometimes be very thin. I think the reason why I do like Death (most of all their album "Leprosy"), even though I dislike most other death metal bands I've heard thus far, is that Chuck Schuldiner's vocals still sound at least a bit "natural" and more individual to my ears than those of most other death metal vocalists.

Hopefully, this might help (at least some people here) to get a better understanding of my personal musical taste (or a part of it). By the way, I'm aware that I'm a bit inconsistent myself regarding "artifical" vocals (thinking of Atrox and Nightwish's "Oceanborn"), but then again, there are exceptions to the rule and the "artificialness" is only one factor in combination with others determining whether I like something or not.

And to those who think that nothing of what I've just written makes any sense at all, I can only repeat myself: musical tastes happen to be different. :)