Midnattsol - Syns Sang
2/10.
Way, way too bubbly.

Exlimitir - Within the Obscurity of the Billow
4/10.
Interesting, but way too disjointed.

Garroted - Crimson Thirst
7/10.
Decent song but nothing that really stands out.

Entropia - Astral
10/10.
I get most don't consider this 'exciting' enough but I love the psychedelic atmosphere. Super immersive song.

Skeletal Remains - Seismic Abyss
6/10.
Good song, could be an 8 if not for the shitty guitar sound.

Deceased - To Serve the Insane
8/10.
Solid!

Satan - Ghosts of Monongah
9/10.
Love the old school vibe but they seem to have mildly mixed in some modern influences so it doesn't sound dated.

Vargrav - Shadowed Secrets Unmasked
8/10.
Love some moments but others are a bit dull.

Lutomysl – Омани життя (Fallacies of Life)
6/10.
Solid instrumentally but the vocals drag it down a point or two.

Hitter - Born to Rock
5/10.
Meh.

Golgothan Remains - Phantom Earth
7/10.
I really dig the riff when it slows down. Too chaotic when the tempo picks up though.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Midnattsol - Syns Sang
Oh hi arg. This shit sounds like a bad japanime rpg soundtrack that some basement dweller would lust over. There was a time in my life I would have somewhat enjoyed something like this but nahhh 4/10

I like the attempt to be avant garde in the guitar riffs, but they become repetitive. And the vocal style is anything but new or clever. Monotone vocals. I do like the guitar riffs they just get played out by like the 25th time they repeat them. Then they repeat them 25 more times. I feel like i'm listening to the same 2 seconds of music over and over for much of this song. Not sure what to rate this but i'll go 6/10 for effort

This sounds like the shit Dethklok makes fun of. Generic modern dm. It's alright but nothing special or unique. They fit the mold 7/10

Entropia - Astral
This is kind of cool in the intro, but the guitar/bass part really drags in the verse. It's like they took a stoner doom guitarist, and an extreme metal drummer and forced them to play together. It does create a unique sound I'll give it that. Vocalist is okay, kind of an afterthought, more variation would be nice. I was going to rate this 7.5, but that three note ostinato that starts at 3:44 really bugs me for some reason. It's obnoxious and ruins the flow of the song. Shit it keeps going for 45 seconds. 6/10

Hell yeah. I really dig this band's modern take on Obituary and the OSDM like. I think I actually enjoyed their previous album more, but it's close. This shit is full of energy and feels like it keeps accelerating the momentum (aside from the breakdown). I kind of want to break out a metronome and see how much it speeds up. These guys know how to write a metal song and keep it fresh with riffs also. Let's go with 9/10

This band has been surprisingly consistent over the years. Yeah really dig this, just melodic enough in the guitars to catch my ear and drag it along through the changes, increases momentum like the Skeletal Remains track also. Old school masters creating this imminent feel of being in a nightmare, running from some unknown terror. Well done. 9.5/10

Satan - Ghosts of Monongaph
Pretty good just not as interesting as some of their older stuff. Feels like 70s rock compared to the last two tracks haha. It's not bad, they have some variety to showcase. I wouldn't mind more vocal changes, the high note around 2:55 was most welcome. The solo was very vanilla and bland 7/10

Seems pretty cookie cutter for what I know of this genre. I just don't understand how people get into this, it's fairly monotone, nearly the same sound for over 7 minutes. The keyboard/synth is somewhat welcome. I don't think it's for active listeners, perhaps just background music for writing edgy poetry and B&W facepainting. 3/10

Similar, but with more melodic guitar tremolo picking and some changes in pace. That makes it slightly more entertaining to my ears. It's still too long though, most of these type of songs are. Not everything has to be a tremolo picking/blast drumming epic marathon dudes. Oh what a clean section? no way. +1 point for that. 6/10

Hitter - Born to Rock
Not sure I'd even call this metal. If it was made in the late 60s/early 70s proto metal Maybe. It's pretty much blues based rock and has more in common with like ZZ Top or Greta van Fleet. I'd rather listen to AC/DC personally. It's alright for what it is. Unobtrusive, but is that what you really want in this style of music? You want to get into it and sing along. Needs a more powerful vocalist and guitar solos. Eh 5.5/10

It has changes, but still manages to drag and have monotone uninteresting vocals. Let me see if I can predict the next note and timbre to come out of his mouth. Yep. It's that one. It's the same one every time. At least the guitars are somewhat interesting and of course the thrash drum beat section catches my ear. But the rest, I dunno man. It's mercifully short 6/10

Last edited:
Lazy ratings incoming:

Midnattsol - Syns Sang

Inoffensive, boring 4/10

Seems contrived but mildly interesting 6/10

Does what death metal should do 7.5/10

Entropia - Astral
Post metal? HORSEPISS 1/10

Does what death metal should do pt. 2. Some nice riffs here 7/10

Authentic, passionate, great production. Hard to fault this. Will investigate further 8/10

Satan - Ghosts of Monongah
Still got it 8/10

Never forget the purple vinyl crisis of 2018 6/10

I remember seeing this band all over Sound Cave back when I used to order from them frequently in '04/'05 but I never checked them out for whatever reason (probably because the band name wasn't cool enough). Might've been a mistake, this is good stuff 7.5/10

Hitter - Born to Rock
Born to SUCK 3/10

Must be some pretty evil guys 4/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Phylactery
Burkhard will hate this playlist.

It's OK. I've been around here for a while and I know that - with some exceptions here and there - the more we get away from the late eighties/early nineties, the less my musical preferences have in common with what the (vast) majority on this forum here enjoys. But as the first round already proved, I might still find something new I do enjoy.

Midnattsol - Syns Sang
This might make me appear like an alien here and prove what I just said about different musical preferences, but actually do like this song a lot. 9/10

Has some interesting parts and I like the bass, but - unsurprisingly - the vocals make this song unbearable for me. 2/10

Nice bass intro, but as soon as the drums set it, it was clear where this was heading. 2/10

Entropia - Astral
Music-wise, something different from the usual run-of-the-mill stuff. Not too fond of the vocals, but since this is mostly an instrumental piece: 6/10

If I didn't dislike the vocals, I'd still find this rather boring. 2/10

This is actually the second most enjoyable song in this list for me. Perhaps because it comes closest to the stuff I enjoyed in the second half of the eighties. I might consider give the entire album a try. 8/10

Satan - Ghosts of Monongaph
And another song I do enjoy. Not special enough to make me want to get this album, but still good. 7/10

The first minute was OK, but otherwise the music sounded exactly as I would have expected on an album with a cover like this one. The fact that the vocals are mixed in the background don't make this song any better for me, though thinking about it, if you took away the drumming and the vocals and made this song a few minutes shorter, I could be an instrumentl I might find at least a bit enjoyable. 2/10

Sounds not that much different from the previous song to my ears. Well, if the entire song was more in the vein of the part between 3:20 and 4:03 and if the singer used some of these, I might have rated it higher. 2/10

Hitter - Born to Rock
Though I don't consider myself a huge fan of this type of music, this isn't too bad and I like the vocals. 6,5/10

One of those vocalists who sound like they are about to suffocate. Even if I didn't mind the vocals, the music wouldn't do much for me. (Maybe if the entire song was in the vein of the slower parts.) 2/10

Entropia - Astral
Post metal? HORSEPISS 1/10

It's got some post metal qualities, but it's a sure enough mishmash of genres. Black, Stoner, Sludge all show their influences pretty well. I mean, I get if you don't think it's exciting enough (seems to be a common thing with anything I post TBH) but don't shit on it because of the genre, lol.

It's got some post metal qualities, but it's a sure enough mishmash of genres. Black, Stoner, Sludge all show their influences pretty well. I mean, I get if you don't think it's exciting enough (seems to be a common thing with anything I post TBH) but don't shit on it because of the genre, lol.

Eh, I don't care about genres. I just particularly disliked that song.

Reactions: Draehl
I’ll give her a bump. Endless sea of song survivor threads about to bump this off the first page. (Okay there’s not that many of them on the front page, muh bad)