2018 Themed Mixtape Game

can't speak for anyone else (oh wait, yes i can, they're my alts), but i'm pretty meh about the majority of BM i hear, especially new stuff. he didn't exactly give the BM high ratings here either.

It's more of a trend I've noticed than anything contained solely in these ratings. He referred to Skeletal Remains as "Morbid Angel for Dummies" and then admits that Vargrav is "classic second wave" which is just lolworthy as fuck.

As if it isnt obvious that you only want to so you can skew the results.

But do feel free.
Break-Action-.223-Rifle.gif

I thought you liked Vargrav? Anyways, that song built and developed nicely, made me think of a faster and more dynamic Summoning.

I do like Vargrav. Just think it's pure faggotry that you praise Vargrav as "classic second wave" which is a positive spin on the fact that they're derivative but you call Skeletal Remains "Morbid Angel for dummies" which is a negative spin when you might actually call them "classic Morbid Angel worship" or something.

Saying "Vargrav is second wave for dummies" makes me sound like a dickhole, for example. Not telling you how to rate though, feel free to ignore me, just noticing how you derivative black metal ballriders frame things in a hypocritical way.

Vargrav doesn't sound like dumbed down BM to me though, and it doesn't obviously seem to copy any particular band. At least from what I can judge from one song.

I've heard plenty of "second wave for dummies" albums this year, but that's not one of them.

Just deal with the fact that I didn't like your track ;)

I don't care if someone shits all over my actual selection, but when it gets into the realms of "hur dur clonery" or "hur dur derivative of---" and it's the black metal spergs here doing it I just get annoyed by the lack of self-awareness.

Anyway I should probably actually rate the game myself.

I mean, he clearly implied that it was compositionally basic and inferior compared to something (probably Morbid Angel would be the logical conclusion) and now he's trying to backtrack and say he wasn't downrating it for being derivative at all.

Anyways my ratings:

Midnattsol - Syns Sang 5.5/10

Really not all that offensive, kinda floaty and purdy. Nothing I probably would really want a whole album of but I don't hate it by any means.

Exlimitir - Within the Obscurity of the Billow 9/10
Fucking love the audible bass, vocalist isn't as good as Demilich's though, but in some parts this feels more technical than Demilich. If this is really all just one guy paying homage to Demilich then bravo.

Garroted - Crimson Thirst 8/10
Holy fuck the drumming is ballistic, I need to listen to this album more since I'd forgotten how face-melting it is!

Entropia - Astral 4/10
I mean... that was pretty damn boring. Sorry.

Skeletal Remains - Seismic Abyss 8.5/10
Intense, catchy and enjoyable late 80's/early 90's American death metal worship with a vocalist that reminds me of a cross between Drunen and Sindre. Crazy ass solo laid over good blasting, fucking love it.

Deceased - To Serve the Insane 7.5/10
Really like this whole album, very cool combination of death metal, thrash metal and traditional metal that comes out sounding very old school and vicious.

Satan - Ghosts of Monongaph 7/10
Kind of surprised how apeshit people seem to be going over this song/album. Very nice trad metal though a bit low energy. Can't argue with that melody though.

Vargrav - Shadowed Secrets Unmasked 9/10
Huge fan of this album and this song in particular, it's transportive as fuck! I also love the way the drumming weaves its way through the song keeping a strong presence but never dominating the overall sound. It's a perfect balance.

Lutomysl – Омани життя (Fallacies of Life) 8/10
This one is totally new to me and I fucking dig it. Can't put my finger on who it reminds me of, maybe somebody else could help me? Anyway it slays, the vocals are very tortured. Impressive!

Hitter - Born to Rock 7/10
It's like an AC/DC influenced band with a tiny bit of Kill 'Em All injected in the veins. Didn't need to be as long as it was though, garage bands used to understand that.

Golgothan Remains - Phantom Earth 9/10
The sound of a Catholic crypt being molested by demonic forces.

Lutomysl – Омани життя (Fallacies of Life) 8/10
This one is totally new to me and I fucking dig it. Can't put my finger on who it reminds me of, maybe somebody else could help me?

the chasm? :heh:

(funny thing is, i'm not even kidding. that opening riff is very conjuration-era)

Reactions: CiG