UM member-themed mixtape game

My point is that if a job specific education was never seen as a necessary precursor to employment in the past, why would it now? I agree that there are too many people with useless degrees, and too few graduate jobs to accommodate them, but that's less a question of what people are studying than how many people are studying. Forensic Science is a good example - leads to an obvious career path, but almost no one who studies it actually becomes one of those CSI guys.

Solution: keep philosophy, humanities, art, etc... but scrap 75% of university places.

Disagree. Look at all the peeps back in the day who were apprentices to their chosen profession. The mold for shaping out your career path is there, but the school system nowadays is shit compared to actually practicing what you'll end up doing for the rest of your life. I guess it's tough to apprentice philosophy besides being an assistant teacher, but whatever!

Apprenticeships still exist, it's just that the kind of hands on, artisanal professions that require apprenticeships are fewer and further between now. Most modern jobs are really vague in the skills they require.

Last edited:
most of the philosophy modules i did (after the first year) were really hard and required a lot of intelligence+effort to do really well in (which i often didn't so i'm not trying to blow my own trumpet here), but there are also some boring ones where you can just submit your fucking college papers about descartes or w/e and get similar grades. how much you can bullshit your way through it massively varies from module to module in other words, so even as a philosophy grad myself i find it hard to gauge how significant someone else's philosophy degree is re: transferable skills.

most of the philosophy modules i did (after the first year) were really hard and required a lot of intelligence+effort to do really well in (which i often didn't so i'm not trying to blow my own trumpet here), but there are also some boring ones where you can just submit your fucking college papers about descartes or w/e and get similar grades. how much you can bullshit your way through it massively varies from module to module in other words, so even as a philosophy grad myself i find it hard to gauge how significant someone else's philosophy degree is re: transferable skills.

I will never truly understand how the British system works, but I kinda get the feeling that you and I would be bros and grab too many pints at the pub or wherever the fuck you and HBB go and get beers.

When I was in England, I was trashed by 9:00 daily because the bullshit pubs closed at midnight...

I will never truly understand how the British system works, but I kinda get the feeling that you and I would be bros and grab too many pints at the pub or wherever the fuck you and HBB go and get beers.

When I was in England, I was trashed by 9:00 daily because the bullshit pubs closed at midnight...

ya that's a problem around here, i think it's a licensing thing? some pubs are open much later in cities though i find, just not in shitty towns like mine. i was pretty much a slacker at university so if that's your bag we would probably be bros lol

p.s. maybe i'm misunderstanding but hbb is american afaik

I thought HamburgerBoy was American, but he said something recently that makes me think he's Canadian (can't remember which thread). Everyone should just put their location under their avatar, it'd be so much easier that way.