UM member-themed mixtape game

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire 3 years of my maths degree. Maybe I'm just weird, though. A lot of people on the course at the same time as me did seem to be doing it for the prospects of a good job, rather than for the love of the subject.

I never said it was an easy class, by no means is it, especially for good universities. It can in fact provide worthwhile skill sets that employers will consider, I don't deny that either. My point is simply that it's not going to be the thing that gets you a good job if you don't have something else better and, or more pragmatic going for you. If you apply to IBM with a bachelor's in philosophy as your major, I hate to break it to you, but they ain't hiring you unless you want to be the janitor.

You're also not going to be accepted to a top law firm with a computer sciences degree, so I don't take your point.

I also think it's incredibly limiting for the sole purpose of higher education to be preparation for employment. The benefits of humanities educations are less tangible on an individual scale, but I think a populace with a better understanding of its cultural and ideological context is far more likely to move in a positive direction than one in which people are educated primarily by the mass media. Many people highly educated in a specific, practical or science based field - in my experience - are astonishingly uneducated otherwise.

Reactions: EternalMetal
Like, it wasn't the subject matter that I didn't enjoy anymore, it was the whole experience of academia that I got fed up with. The rampant autism, bureaucratic nonsense, and the whole environment. My friend once put it best when he said that he was interested in pursuing a graduate degree until he realized that he had to actually converse with graduate students.

Reactions: The Butt
I thoroughly enjoyed the entire 3 years of my maths degree. Maybe I'm just weird, though. A lot of people on the course at the same time as me did seem to be doing it for the prospects of a good job, rather than for the love of the subject.

You're not the first person I've heard profess a genuine enjoyment of mathematics. I still think you're being disingenuous though :p.

My friend once put it best when he said that he was interested in pursuing a graduate degree until he realized that he had to actually converse with graduate students.

Sounds like a conceited douche.

Although I have to admit, going to the pub with a bunch of guys whose conversational technique is basically an oral form of Einherjar's posting sounds like my idea of a nightmare.

Do you think I'd decide to be a maths teacher if I didn't genuinely enjoy the subject? There are a lot of other higher paying career paths I could have chosen you know. Probably less stressful as well.

Sounds like a conceited douche.

Although I have to admit, going to the pub with a bunch of guys whose conversational technique is basically an oral form of Einherjar's posting sounds like my idea of a nightmare.

Now imagine hanging out with multiple of them every fucking day for the rest of your life.

I also realized that my heart wasn't in it anymore to be competitive in my field. How could I expect to succeed when there were others out there who were far more interested and dedicated to the subject than I was? Sure, I could keep up, but ultimately I knew that I would never be anywhere close to the top student in my class, or even close to a recognized name in my area of research, no matter how niche my dissertation was.

Now imagine hanging out with multiple of them every fucking day for the rest of your life.

I also realized that my heart wasn't in it anymore to be competitive in my field. How could I expect to succeed when there were others out there who were far more interested and dedicated to the subject than I was? Sure, I could keep up, but ultimately I knew that I would never be anywhere close to the top student in my class, or even close to a recognized name in my area of research, no matter how niche my dissertation was.

True. I think there's something a little deficient with obsessive personalities - almost like that absorption in one abstract field fills a void missing somewhere else. Still, you don't necessarily need to be the best at something to derive satisfaction from it - even the leaders of the field are probably miserable from comparing the feebleness of their impact to some previous thinker.

Did anyone actually submit a song yet?

Yeah.

My degree is in English. I do love reading the literature and discussing it in class, but usually only when it's an era that interests me. I cannot take another modern American lit class. I nearly burned my copy of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close because I fucking hated it so much.

But give me the biggest, longest, fattest fucking epic poem written in a super specific writing style that contains hundreds of characters with no connection between them and I'm fucking ready to plow.

Reactions: EternalMetal
I also think it's incredibly limiting for the sole purpose of higher education to be preparation for employment. The benefits of humanities educations are less tangible on an individual scale, but I think a populace with a better understanding of its cultural and ideological context is far more likely to move in a positive direction than one in which people are educated primarily by the mass media. Many people highly educated in a specific, practical or science based field - in my experience - are astonishingly uneducated otherwise.
But higher education is for the sole purpose of employment. Otherwise, the education system is completely fucked.

I don't really understand people that choose interest over market value. Seems like a drawback of most students being young and dumb, or maybe my interest in having money supersedes my interest in any one field.