Help with bass (mp3 inside; podxt, ssl 3.0, trilogy)

Less boomy? Either eq or try a different patch in Trilogy.

If you havent already, check your midi programming.
Try to play around with velocity and such to make it sound more real.
If the programmed bass is the same velocity and same notes repeating it will
sound very boring and thats not helping your mix.

Less boomy? Either eq or try a different patch in Trilogy.

If you havent already, check your midi programming.
Try to play around with velocity and such to make it sound more real.
If the programmed bass is the same velocity and same notes repeating it will
sound very boring and thats not helping your mix.

How about some tips for mixing, for the mix I posted, which was pure for this example, nothing fancy.
Also, I understand what you mean with the velocity thing, but I don't like the sound. It doesn't make the mix larger whatsoever.

Thanks for posting!

Im sure there are threads about this on the board already.

Its hard to generalize about this because it always depends on the source material.

Use a high-pass to cut away as much bass as you can until you have the low-end the way you want it.
DO NOT DO THIS IN SOLO. Always listen to the full mix.

Listen to the bassguitar and bassdrum soloed together. Make sure they are tight and not fighting eachother.

One trick that sometimes work is to add a very subtle chorus to the bassguitar.
Adding some distortion to it is also sometimes just what the doctor ordered.
But as the saying goes, it always depends.

Sidechaining a comp on the bassguitar with the bassdrum is also worth checking into.
Havent tried that too much myself though.

Im still learning myself so Im interested in any tricks from other people too.
These days Im focusing on removing shit from tracks thats not needed and is just taking up sonic space.
Low-pass distorted guitars as low as maybe 14khz. I just lower it until it affects the sound and then nudge back until
its good. High-pass them guitars too.. Get rid of sub-freqs you just dont need..
Fuck man. If it doesnt do anything to your sound, get rid of it.

Now you should only do this in a properly treated room with quality monitors.
Otherwise you might be fooled into removing freqs that actually contribute to the sound you want.

Does this help? I dont know.. Im still learning too but I really do feel that the things I mentioned
has helped my mixes.

Im sure there are threads about this on the board already.

Its hard to generalize about this because it always depends on the source material.

Use a high-pass to cut away as much bass as you can until you have the low-end the way you want it.
DO NOT DO THIS IN SOLO. Always listen to the full mix.

Listen to the bassguitar and bassdrum soloed together. Make sure they are tight and not fighting eachother.

One trick that sometimes work is to add a very subtle chorus to the bassguitar.
Adding some distortion to it is also sometimes just what the doctor ordered.
But as the saying goes, it always depends.

Sidechaining a comp on the bassguitar with the bassdrum is also worth checking into.
Havent tried that too much myself though.

Im still learning myself so Im interested in any tricks from other people too.
These days Im focusing on removing shit from tracks thats not needed and is just taking up sonic space.
Low-pass distorted guitars as low as maybe 14khz. I just lower it until it affects the sound and then nudge back until
its good. High-pass them guitars too.. Get rid of sub-freqs you just dont need..
Fuck man. If it doesnt do anything to your sound, get rid of it.

Now you should only do this in a properly treated room with quality monitors.
Otherwise you might be fooled into removing freqs that actually contribute to the sound you want.

Does this help? I dont know.. Im still learning too but I really do feel that the things I mentioned
has helped my mixes.

Awesome mate, I'll be working on the things you've mentioned there! Yeah I have KRK rokit 5's, nothing too fancy, but it works, that's not the problem. I'm very curious about that whole adding chorus to the bass! Will try that out tomorrow!

Thanks for posting!

Awesome mate, I'll be working on the things you've mentioned there! Yeah I have KRK rokit 5's, nothing too fancy, but it works, that's not the problem. I'm very curious about that whole adding chorus to the bass! Will try that out tomorrow!

Thanks for posting!

Don't underestimate the importance of room treatment. If you can't afford it / don't have it - make sure you at least know how your room colors the sounds your hearing. Try listening on many different systems.

Don't underestimate the importance of room treatment. If you can't afford it / don't have it - make sure you at least know how your room colors the sounds your hearing. Try listening on many different systems.

I understand. A friend of mine has the same monitors and at his place everything sounds less bassy, with the same settings and all. So I understand the room importance, but there's not much I can do about that. I do listen to my mixes on other the devices (mp3 player etc) just to check if it doesn't differ too much from the monitors.

I also tried the chorus thing, but that doesn't really fit the mix well, at least for now.