Help with SSD 3.5 toms or room?

Nico Hetfield

Jul 9, 2013

hi guys I have a problem with the drums, I like the snare and kick but I don't like the toms, I think it's a problem with the room mic and do not know how to fix it since I'm new with steven slate drums,the room mic I chose in this is the NRG, but SSD still think it sounds worse. I know! the OH it have a lot of volume, already fixed that in another version, if you guys could give some advice would be very grateful :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Gujural really just ask for your set up and didn't give you any advice? Way of acting like a ass :/

SSD 3.5 toms are kinda complicated. Never toms and Quick toms are what I prefer, gclip the, so you can crank them up. High pass them and take out some of the low mids because you'll find a bunch of energy will get pilled up.

Sorry about some members, it really sucks when you want input and all you get is someone trying to steal whatever information they can.

Did Gujural really just ask for your set up and didn't give you any advice? Way of acting like a ass :/

SSD 3.5 toms are kinda complicated. Never toms and Quick toms are what I prefer, gclip the, so you can crank them up. High pass them and take out some of the low mids because you'll find a bunch of energy will get pilled up.

Sorry about some members, it really sucks when you want input and all you get is someone trying to steal whatever information they can.

Haha fuck you! I've given a lot of information on this forum so dont make it look like im using people.

And I'm not sure there is much to do, personally i've never used SSD toms that much since they sound bad compared to Joey Sturgis's toms for an example. My favorite SSD toms are probably the Maple toms.

You can get butt hurt but the reality is you didn't do anything but stop by to get his snare info. If everyone just posted in a thread to get what they wanted without dropping any advice then what would be the point? You're just telling him "there's nothing you can do, buy new samples" and not no one wants to hear that. There's plenty to be said about learning how to get the best of what you have and using limitations to your advantage.

Woah guys, calm your tits :p haha

I have As far as Superior Drummer goes, I really only use the cymbals, because they're the most versatile in any genre, but toms and snare are tricky to use. I just multi those out and parallel compress them to hell and back, then add some saturation, eq 1-2k cause to deaden the ringing and you should be able to get some dece sounds! Hope that helps! :)

:Spin: I finally bought the joey samples, the shoulder city toms sound much better than the ssd, but you can give me some tips to mix these toms? I'm thinking of buying some cymbals in the sturgis store, I'm not sure to choose the screaming simple or the shoulder city cymbals :/

Nice, the shoulder city toms are great. I start by put a hpf at around 80 Hz and then i reduce some db at around 110 Hz to remove some of the annoying ringing from the lower freqs. I also reduce a lot of the mids around 700 Hz with a wide Q and add some attack at around 4k Hz. I also use some moderate compression, a gate and a small amount of MaxxBass to bring some more low end.

I haven't tried the city cymbals but the screaming simple's are awesome. The only downside is that you don't get any bells or splash.

I only really like the fat toms as far as ssd goes, with the ssd room. Little bit of surgical eq and transient designing and they sit where i like them. But the sturgis toms are awesome too, same with some of the chango toms. Do some eq sweeps to hear what you want to take out and then maybe try some parallel compression. Always worth a shot!

Thanks Guys! their support helped me a lot! Now I like the sound of my toms are awesome! I promise to upload another take of my drums to show how it sounds now! this weekend I'll buy the screaming simple samples, any advice to make it sound better before buying?