Hey do you play video games guys?

I'm a big Video Game player myself, started playing games at around age 5 and been really keen on it since age 7, which were the days of SNES, Megadrive etc in their prime.

Since then, I've always owned nearly all the major consoles and still do. I think my brother played a big part in this as well, he's always been a keen gamer also and it was him who used to buy nearly all the consoles and games in our house and I would play on them at least as much as him.

It's amusing thinking about it actually because nowadays whilst he's moved out and is still a keen gamer, because he doesn't have much money to spare on these things these days it's almost become the opposite way round, with him borrowing games and sometimes consoles from me!

My reason for never being restricted to one or a few consoles is simply because nearly all major consoles released have had more than their fair share of games of which I really like. Just naming a few series I've always loved, such as Tekken, Super Mario, Street Fighter, Shenmue, Fable, they span the consoles of PS1-3, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360 just for all the installments of those few series'!

Whilst nowadays I don't have quite as much time for gaming in general and tend to be more restrictive with what games I get myself interested in, there's plenty of series' alone that I'll always be interesed in new installments of and go back to the current and past installments of too.

So yeah, big Video Gamer here!

Used to be a huge video gamer for the first 15-16 years of my life. Steadily dropped off since because I hate this certain culture that has grown up and around video games. I also don't like how commercial and overmarketed video games have become.

These days, I'll only play Diablo, Starcraft, and World of Warcraft.

I've never been a big gamer but I used to play Command & Conquer a fair bit back in the day. I'll occasionally play things such as Modern Warfare II on PS3 these days but the problem is games like this get addictive and you find yourself spending way more time on them than you should!

Used to be a huge video gamer for the first 15-16 years of my life. Steadily dropped off since because I hate this certain culture that has grown up and around video games. I also don't like how commercial and overmarketed video games have become.

These days, I'll only play Diablo, Starcraft, and World of Warcraft.

Just out of curiosity, when you say "this certain culture" what do you mean exactly?

Just out of curiosity, when you say "this certain culture" what do you mean exactly?

Well, I'm not sure how it is overseas, but here in America video games have become such a gigantic phenomenon it's almost impossible to go somewhere without them being around in one way or another. Especially Call of Duty. I'm talking about Spike TV, G4 television... and this whole association with college and frat boys. It's just almost a joke over here, the representation is stupid and because a lot of people these days waste their time playing video games so much and not doing much of anything productive, it's kind of embarrassing to say you love video games.

It's strange because I remember this generation (basically mine) not being like this when we were kids - there wasn't even an older generation like this. So I guess I'm just irked with how it went from being a fun timewaster to something so serious. Like, as a kid, I was the only one *really* into video games and got a bunch of crap for it. Now, I'm not, and everybody else is, bah.

</rant>

Not really, although I own an XBOX 360. I have a fascination for video games based on superheroes and the likes, so I like to buy Spider-Man and Mortal Kombat games from time to time, although I never play them much nowadays. I also enjoy 'free roaming' games such as GTA and Prototype.

When I was younger I played a lot of computer games, if that counts. Mostly adventure games.

It's just almost a joke over here, the representation is stupid and because a lot of people these days waste their time playing video games so much and not doing much of anything productive, it's kind of embarrassing to say you love video games.

Personally, I've always thought it an embarassment being a gamer, unfortunately. Whether you just play from time to play or play regularly / competetively, saying you're a gamer still has a bit of a stigma to it.

I play quite a lot of games, although less so since I've got to Uni and have been hampered by a poor-spec laptop and getting out a bit more than I did. :p

I used to play a lot of Command and Conquer, C&C: Red Alerta, C&C: Generals, Starcraft, Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid, and Kingdom Hearts. I have the first 3 Call of Duty games but that is what killed gaming for me. I was never one to spend more then an hour at a time on a game, I would much rather read or write, but once gaming became "normal" I pretty much quit. I was even more disgusted when I bought Starcraft II only to be banned for "hacking" even though I never hacked and only logged on about once a week at most, basically they banned me so I would buy another copy and give them another $60 so that pretty much made me decide to part ways with new games unless I am able to pirate from Blizzard and Blizzard alone. The gaming industry is worse then the music industry when it comes to being greedy but it has a better reputation. I am just not a big online gaming fan, I liked when games had strong single player gameplay and storylines. I guess that is why I always will choose a book to a game. Society today is dumber then it was a generation ago and that might be due to games but it could be the whole "gangsta" subculture, who knows?

Hey guys I really appreciate that you took your time to explain what you play and why you play/don't play and such. Really interesting. Thanks a lot :)

As for me I start to play games less and less often now as I grow but I used to be a game freak a while back. Right now I just play a few games once in a while, but I don't think it's really worth mentioning them. I realized that I enjoy music much more than games! haha...so yeah I try to get into stuff like that more than video games.

I love gaming myself and it will always be in my DNA :rofl:. When I got the SNES when I was 4 that pretty much had set me for life, lolz. But I have grown tired of people who do nothing but brag and GayRageQuit over competitive gaming. It's obviously a competition for a reason but its not life and death IRL. This is why I havn't been playing as much of video games these past months, but i would like to sit down to some real fun every once and a while. I mostly have a soft spot for classic games and good Rpg's like Chrono Trigger, Fable, Elder Scrolls, and Pokemon (mostly Red, Blue, Gold, and Silver cos all of the games since generation 3 have become too complex).

So yeah, I guess I'm a pretty serious gamer for the most part but I can only take it so far.

Pokemon games are amazing yeah....but after you complete the game itself(becoming the league champion) it gets pointless. It took me about 2 weeks to finish Pokemon Yellow :p

The later generations of Pokemon are actually pretty good but the ones on Nintendo DS are way too costly and annoying to play

1928 - Thought it might something like that you would point out and I can certainly see your point. In this country, that type of culture is much less prominent though.

Those TV shows you mention, Spike TV, G4 etc, are they well known and advertised in the States I take it? I've only really heard them mentioned on forums and such and over here you never really see adverts for anything like that.

To people saying they think being a keen gamer is "embarassing" I have to say I am really disappointed that some people have this attitude. To me, Video Games are just like Music or Films or TV. They are a form of entertainment, of which they are many Video Games, Albums, Films or TV shows that are immensely enjoyable to experience. So why would being a person who takes a keen interest in Video Games be more embarassing than taking a keen interesting in Music or Films?

You might point to the fact that you get many reports of people getting addicted to Video Games to the point of playing them way too often than is healthy in terms of having a reasonable life away from them, but such examples are very few and far between.

I have quite a few friends and nearly all of them play Video Games. Some play them more than others and are interested in more games than others, but even the more keener ones (of which I am probably the most keen) just spend a reasonable amount of time, say a few hours a week, to enjoy Video Games, whilst also holding a Full-Time Job, having a social life and enjoying other forms of entertainment, such as Music and Films.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love video games and do consider them a form of art. But I suppose that's mainly because I'm a fan of games that are like interactive books - a great RPG with awesome visuals, sound, and gameplay is an extremely entertaining experience.

But I mainly just don't like how commercial things are, I think I explained this in part over in the Circle the Wagons forum for all the ex-DF community refugees, but I really hate that you have to pre-order games in order to get certain items on video games these days, or you have to pay extra money to download content that, imo, should come with the game, etc. etc.

In short, I guess I'm bitter that things aren't the way they used to be in the days of the Super Nintendo :lol: Nothing against anybody who enjoys modern gaming, of course, just my own obsession with childhood!

i love video games=) altough the video games of today...meh. Sure once and a while i play cod or sommit like that buh the games of today are all about violent, who killed most etc...it works buh doesn't feel right:p the old snes and n64 is the best, specially zleda ocarina of time and majoras mask, great games and best soundtrack ever!

I'm all about old school vidya games if I play them. Zelda, Pokemon, Mario... oh yea! SNES was my life as a kid.