Hi! I'm a mac!

Too much to quote

Ok lets just agree that if someone is willing to learn everything about his PC/MAC (hardware) and operating system and is as intelligent as you (and me hehehe ;) ), he will have a stable and fast computer that will not give him any problems.

On the power/dollar differences i will not change what i said - in my experience/country the difference is usually bigger than 20% (PC made from parts) and that is only hardware - what about software ?
LOTS AND LOTS OF 100% FREE AND VERY CHEAP (AND OFTEN HIGH QUALITY) VST PLUGINS THAT WILL WORK ONLY ON PCs !!!
Convolution reverbs are good example:
Altiverb = 500 euro :rolleyes: :guh: :confused:
Pristine Space = 120 dollars :D

I have nothing against Macs except for the elitist, pretentious attitude exhibited by most people who use 'em. The level of superiority stemming from 5% market share is stunning but then again people always feel cool by listening, watching or interacting with stuff no one else does.

awesome how this guy's 2nd point is "fuck you" and he curses every two sentences... and that he fully admits never owning a mac... so he can't make a point with cogent arguments, he just says "fuck you" and the like... and has formed an opinion from total ignorant position, having not owned a Mac... and his primary source of angst against the Mac platform is...... the marketing campaign.... lol..... yeah, this guy's a genius, and very reliable source of information.... i mean hey, when i want some help forming an opinion about anything i really like to get that help from someone who complains about completely immaterial nonsense and has an obvious bias based purely on the advertising for the product in question.... yes, this guy is a genius, and you should take his advice Benny.

i would like to now take a page from that guy's book and suggest why you should hate Windows.... i will make my case via points that i will outline below.

my first point: fuck bill gates

point 2: windows looks stupid

point 3: you're gay if you use Windows, because.... well, just because

point 4: fuck windows

point 5: ever notice how windows users are all fat? it's because they sit around all day, building PC's out of mail order catalogs

point 6: Windows/PC users are stupid

point 7: fuck microsoft

there, i trust my arguments have convinced all of you to stop using windows..... damn, i should make a website.

:Smug:

EDIT: for those of you somehow missed the gigantic "sarcasm alert sirens" that went off with this post, please take note of them now. this post was a facetious "copy" of the website in the link, in order to make light of such an ignorant attitude, and do NOT reflect my actual positions..... totally blown away that i've had to point that out... blown away and disappointed.

point 5: ever notice how windows users are all fat? it's because they sit around all day, building PC's out of mail order catalogs

there, i trust my arguments have convinced all of you to stop using windows..... damn, i should make a website.

Good one. I use PCs at school that run million dollar worth software and none of them even have Windows installed.

James, get your hands on an Algorithmix Red EQ. It'll stop you ranting and make you smile.

And buy a Mac Pro (with bootcamp), that one has at least some decent hardware in it (a G5 needs 700(!) watts to reach 2 ghz!).

If you're happy with OSX, wank away. But don't give us this "it is logically proven Macs are better then PC's" stuff, Spock gets a hardon when he sees a Mac. Not very logical at all.

And for my experience: I'm also a teacher at a conservatory. The students laugh at the macs in the studios. Well, it's more grinning, some sort of 'aaahhhh'.

If you buy a new mac, it's a PC inside. The only difference is the OS. You know there's a hack that enables you to run OSX on a common PC?

Guess what, nobody cares.

But anyway, at the end of the day you're James Murphy. And tomorrow you'll be even Murfier. You'll always be some serious murfs ahead of all of us, you're the Ubermurf. And that's what counts.

If it's a Mac that makes you Murf, we don't wanna see you behind a pc. :)

make_stop.jpg

1. Yeah really, fuck him, the guy donates millions of dollars to charity, what a fuckin' shyster.

2. Damn, what could be done to make it look more like the Mac OS?

3. I thought you were considered gay if you engaged in sexual intercourse with a member of the same sex. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

4. Well, I can't really argue with that one.

5. I thought they were fat because they were computer nerds who never got any exercise. Does the Mac come with a Bowflex?

6. I know plenty of Mac users who couldn't find a coherent sentence with a flashlight.

7. Seeing as how Microsoft is synonymous with Windows, I can't really consider this to be a separate point. (I guess Mac users aren't all that much smarter than PC users.)

8. Who gives a fuck, if it works use it. It's like bitching about which beer is better, A or B, you still get the same result.

when i want some help forming an opinion about anything i really like to get that help from someone who complains about completely immaterial nonsense and has an obvious bias based purely on the advertising for the product in question.... yes, this guy is a genius, and you should take his advice Benny.

Actually, if I could afford it I'd have copied your mobile rig ages ago.

I just thought it was funny.

a myth i've never, in 12 years of using macs online with no virus protection, ever had disproven...

and Mulder.... sorry, but i've never.. in 12 years of using macs for audio production, had half my plug ins quit working... and also never not been able to back pedal to a previous version of the OS if i had any trouble at all.. in fact it's incredibly easy....

it's so interesting that every time you PC "i can fix anything on my computer" guys pipe up in response to something i've said and make your statements about what you you CAN'T do with Macs i just laugh because i just did it last week, or last month, or yesterday....

...and every time one of you states some horrible problem that somehow plagues Macs, i just laugh because i've never had that problem in 12 years...

... and every time you say Mac users can't customize anything, i just laugh because i've self-upgraded and swapped out nearly every component of one mac or the other of mine over the years as i felt the need to upgrade performance, often with third party products... and never, other than one dead optical drive, was it ever due to a failure or a "conflict"...

... and every time i hear how Apple forces one to upgrade, i laugh as i think of all the guys i know still running OS9 with old PT mix systems and making great records doing so.... Jonas from Scar Symmetry/Black Lodge Studio being the latest i've met (last night when i dropped in to Mana Studios where he's producing the new The Absence CD to lay down a couple guest solos) and also as i kick this PC next to me that has been relegated to my little brother's Linux and Windows crap for his College computer classes that's just a couple years old and which he has not been able to install Windows 95 on successfully (universal and indefinite backwards compatibility with the latest computer platforms and all previous operating systems is a ridiculous wet dream anyway.. it's the nature of computers guys, get over it)...

... and every time one of you talks about how apple is marketed as a "lifesytle" i just bust out in tears with laughter.... because sounds like you guys are paying more attention to Apple's marketing campaigns than any pro apple user ever does, ever has or ever will..... i don't even notice the ads until they are pointed out to me. Marketing campaigns are for the mass of non-pro users... which equals a huge majority of computer users.. and in that respect those silly Apple ads are working... over 50% of Apples sold at Apple Store locations were to PC users buying their very first Macs... and i'll wager 90% of those swappers will stick with their new platform and never return to a PC, and be better off for it.

My computers are tools.... i want my tools to work flawlessly out of the box and to be upgradeable to a reasonable degree if i should have a need.. my macs have always fulfilled this need. i don't want to buy a lawnmower and have to immediately rebuild the engine..i also don't want to build one from scratch..i just want one that works so i can mow my damn lawn, and if want to add a different type of blade to it later, it should be easy to do that.. this is what i get from Macs... PCs are a headache, i don't care if it's all "fixable".. i don't want to deal with it... and many, many audio pros... most all of which have owned or do still own PCs agree with me, including this forum's namesake.

throw all the techy jargon at this you want, it won't change a thing... my Quad 2.5 G5 with 8 GB of ECC Ram does everything i could possibly want it to do and i never run out of power for plug ins.. (and this would have been true even with FAR less Ram...i just splurged, god knows why)... and it outperforms most PC quads in it's same class that are rated with higher speeds... 3.xGhz and even higher. yes, i know there are processors that kick it's ass now... both for PCs and in the newest Macs...note that i said "in it's class" so there goes your CPU/$ theory... a fact mac users have known for years.. and though this has changed with Mac's switch to Intel processors, Windows still sucks... :p

i'm not an Apple worshiper... they have done plenty to piss me off over the years, and still do with some regularity... but nothing yet that would send me back to using PCs, not by a longshot. Macs, as all computers, can break down... hard drives can die, motherboards can fry, etc. etc.... it's life.

And i'm also most certainly not debating that you can build a PC with amazing performance and kick ass with it... i just can't be arsed (picked that one up from Andy, lol), especially if it means i have to work in Windows... so i use Macs... You guys, use whatever you want, but if you're gonna attack Mac users as being uneducated about what's available and as buying into marketing hype (and let's keep this debate out of the broader layman's purview and restrict it to the professional realm of pro audio) at least come prepared to back that statement up.. because right now, if your CD collection could talk, 90% of them would be shouting at you right now... "hey buddy, i was recorded on a Mac". surely you never meant to insinuate that all the audio pros that use macs to make the majority of the records you love are misguided, misinformed, uneducated on the subject of computers in general, and are somehow using systems that are not "up to scratch".

Use what you got, and/or what you're comfortable with and do your thing... but don't condescend to me or other Mac users about trivialities such as Marketing techniques and the like... it's just silly... Grand Vitaras are marketed as an off-road compact sport utility.. they are shown racing across a the desert plains and through unpaved mountainous areas... i have one and i've never driven it off of pavement and have no plans to and those images influenced my decision to get one not one tiny little bit... does that mean i should have bought some kind of sedan? no, i bought what i needed in terms of good storage space/gas mileage performance ratio... done. The vast majority of Mac-using audio pros (yes i'm aware of the gains in marketshare for PCs in the field and of the pros using them) are not simpletons who simply fell for ad campaigns, nor are they a load of old "codgers" who only use macs because they used to be the only choice for serious pro audio and are stuck in their ways. Macs are serious, well-integrated machines that do their jobs exceedingly well and with the right care and feeding they last for years... i too still have my old 9600 and it still runs Pro Tools 5.1 and Opcode studio vision and it's 10 years old.. the very same computer that Andy used at my studio in Oakland to edit Lombardo's kicks on The Gathering.

As i said, i used PC's for years as well and if i never see the "blue screen of death" again it will be too soon........

.... unless of course it's this one.... :Smokin:

bluescreenofdeathtshirt_01.jpg

this is why the world hates mac users :erk: . ive been using forums for longer than i can remember, never before have i seen such pretension.

"However, a virus as well as a potential vulnerability was noted in February 2006, which led some industry analysts and anti-virus companies to issue warnings that Apple's Mac OS X is not immune to viruses."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh

so, really, macs arent invincible, it really is a fact that no self respecting hacker/pc user cares enough about macs to even waste their time trying to take them down or to waste as much time as you just did with that reply. All of the biggest corporations in the world use windows based networks and linux servers (<- i even heard that macintosh do aswell, which is a bit of a win), and these are the prizes hackers go for, not the tiny group of idiots who think that because they have bought a mac means they are going to be directors, or artists or anything they could have already been using a pc. eventually though, as mac users continue to spew their nonsense, a hacker somewhere will snap and lose patience and then the script kiddies will destroy.

i hate this 'pc' issue anyway, its not the hardware that is really at point here, its the OS. I use windows, AND i use ubuntu linux. i think we all know linux slays, but the fact of the matter is, ive not seen the 'blue screen of death' in windows for years and years. XP is right now, after many patches granted, stable, (as long as you know what you are doing), its an issue of the link between the keyboard and the chair as Jeff said, but instead of educating themselves, those people go out and buy macs, because macs are aimed at these idiots. ive seen macs freeze, ive even seen new macs crash anyway, (i have to use them in uni), they are just as flawed as windows based pc's, but they cost twice as much, nice going.

in all honesty, i think the only reason macs are used by the majority of pro audio studios is because of people like you and because its one of the few areas they got a foothold in at an early stage. but mainly because of people with influence helping engineers to believe they need to own a mac to be taken seriously. the reason i think this is because its only pro audio studios that are predominantly mac based, most, if not all of the top dance and techno producers use pcs.

Edit - > oh and yes, fuck bill gates, hes given over 31 billion dollars to charity, but yea fuck him.

James, get your hands on an Algorithmix Red EQ. It'll stop you ranting and make you smile.
don't need another Linear Phase EQ, already have 2. love 'em both.

And buy a Mac Pro (with bootcamp), that one has at least some decent hardware in it (a G5 needs 700(!) watts to reach 2 ghz!).
i cannot dispute this and won't try... cuz i don't care...lol.. mine reaches 2.5Ghz, 4x, and i don't notice or care how many watts it uses to do so.. :heh:

If you're happy with OSX, wank away. But don't give us this "it is logically proven Macs are better then PC's" stuff, Spock gets a hardon when he sees a Mac. Not very logical at all.
never said that, never insinuated it... in fact i was reacting against the average PC nazi's tendency to behave as though it were "logically proven that PCs are better than Macs"... so yay, you've countered my argument with... my argument. :loco:

And for my experience: I'm also a teacher at a conservatory. The students laugh at the macs in the studios. Well, it's more grinning, some sort of 'aaahhhh'.
cuz them am smart stoodentz. :saint:

If you buy a new mac, it's a PC inside. The only difference is the OS.
macpro_inside.jpg
>
arma_inside.jpg

:lol:

You know there's a hack that enables you to run OSX on a common PC?
yep, seen it running... and by running i mean crashing the PC... i was underwhelmed. i'm sure some have got it running quite good.... bet they use it too. A lot.

Guess what, nobody cares.
:cry:... but yet people keep replying to this thread. Holy-contradictary-behavior, Batman!

But anyway, at the end of the day you're James Murphy. And tomorrow you'll be even Murfier. You'll always be some serious murfs ahead of all of us, you're the Ubermurf. And that's what counts.
wow, thanks.... nothing makes me feel more warm and fuzzy than being totally patronized. ;)

If it's a Mac that makes you Murf, we don't wanna see you behind a pc. :)
well, you really got me questioning my whole viewpoint on this... i mean, i wouldn't want to be laughed at by conservatory students... that would make me feel icky. :(

:p

let's get back to talking about music now, shall we?

apple1.bmp

1. Yeah really, fuck him, the guy donates millions of dollars to charity, what a fuckin' shyster.

2. Damn, what could be done to make it look more like the Mac OS?

3. I thought you were considered gay if you engaged in sexual intercourse with a member of the same sex. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

4. Well, I can't really argue with that one.

5. I thought they were fat because they were computer nerds who never got any exercise. Does the Mac come with a Bowflex?

6. I know plenty of Mac users who couldn't find a coherent sentence with a flashlight.

7. Seeing as how Microsoft is synonymous with Windows, I can't really consider this to be a separate point. (I guess Mac users aren't all that much smarter than PC users.)

8. Who gives a fuck, if it works use it. It's like bitching about which beer is better, A or B, you still get the same result.
*sigh*.. it was sarcasm Lopes... none of that was serious, i was making a facetious jab at the guy who's website was linked and his style of "critique"...... lol... this makes it all very clear that what i've said over and over again about the pointlessness of debating anything on this or any other forum: no one reads everything written so they can get the whole context.... but yet here i am debating anyway.. lol.

this is why the world hates mac users :erk: . ive been using forums for longer than i can remember, never before have i seen such pretension.

"However, a virus as well as a potential vulnerability was noted in February 2006, which led some industry analysts and anti-virus companies to issue warnings that Apple's Mac OS X is not immune to viruses."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh
so, really, macs arent invincible, it really is a fact that no self respecting hacker/pc user cares enough about macs to even waste their time trying to take them down or to waste as much time as you just did with that reply. etc. etc.
pretty long reply there man... apparently you do care to some degree... and anyway i never said mac viruses didn't exist, i merely asserted that i've never gotten one... i fail to see what is "pretentious" about that. i've not gotten one in 12 years and i've been hearing warnings about them for 10 years... i may get one next week, but as for now i'm pretty happy with my record.

In regards to the rest of your post, bite me. i am not an idiot, andy sneap is not an idiot, Fredrick Nordstrom is not an idiot, Tue Madsen is not an idiot, Jens Bogren is not an idiot, Jonas Kjellren is not an idiot, ... .need i go on? you have just called nearly everyone who's work you wish you could touch an idiot for using Macs.... this was good natured banter to me until your post buddy... kiss my white, mac-using butt. i suggest you re-read all of my posts in this thread before you start making lame insinuations and assumptions... for example ....
Edit - > oh and yes, fuck bill gates, hes given over 31 billion dollars to charity, but yea fuck him.
see my reply to Lopes above, he got this one the wrong way around too.... but hey, i'm just the idiot between the chair and the Mac, though somehow i recognized your sarcasm.... pretty good for an idiot, eh?.

I once knew a PC user who could recognize sarcasm... ah, those were the days.

The one thing I can say about compatibility between Windows/Mac/Flavor of the Week and Linux is that I can jack all of the cores of those operating systems, run their programs under Linux, and get all of the same done. Sure, it's easier for Macs to access Unix-type programs (because of the built-in emulator in all of its idiot-proof glory... actually quite an accomplishment, I must say, taking the learning curve out of compiling) than the other way around, but I've gotten better speed using WINE in Linux for Windows programs than I have with Windows. There is something very wrong when a Windows 'simulator' does better than Windows proper, but it is not the first time - Bleem! was better than PlayStation, Skype kicks the shit out of 'traditional' phones, an Etch-A-Sketch simulates perfectly Apple ][c (and reboots faster, at that)... ah, it's good to be free.

I can see what you're saying about capital investment being necessary and proper, but... I'd think that a knowledge investment would be more useful than a monetary investment, because you can't buy smart and you can't sell stupid (as every college of business someday will learn) - and if you have on one hand some rich daddy's girl deciding that she wants to be Shakira one day, and going off and buy a Mac Pro, a Firepod, a ribbon mic, and a big table o' knobs... but on the other hand the guy who plays with numbers at school but can't get off the ground despite his knowledge because he has loans, rent, and meals to pay off, you've missed the point. I'm in school for hard science and math right now, serving my time for the day I'll get to play with particle accelerators that make little things go really boom really fast, and I'm at the same time tutoring for people who can afford a college education but by no means are capable of any real demands. For some people, money is not an object, and while I agree that cash up front keeps some trash out back, it's not always the best way of 'filtering' the people who want to be gods in a weekend.

Jeff

That's it James Murphy....I challenge you to a rock off! :lol:

Dude, and I thought I got a lot of flack for the post I put up about downloading free music... What if I said I downloaded free music on a MAC...yikes.