HighGainer shootout 2010

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
just got a new piece of equipment I wanted to try....this turned into another Battle Of The Amps.

Again I just picked one single tone from each amp...matching the style...that does NOT mean that the amp is not capable of doing something completely different!!

when I reamped through the first one (the only amp I don't know insode out) I set the volumes a bit too low (compared to my usual settings on the other amps)....I made up for it one the vols of the other amps by turning them down slightly (a pity I had to do that actually)...
also does the mic-preamp clip every now and then a little bit...but it's good API clipping so it's not that bad....

of course again no post processing (also no HP/LP)...
thanks again also to Jeff for the DIs

Amps are:

-Bogner Überschall Rev2(pre: chinese, power: =C= KT88)
-Rackto RevG Mercury Magn. transf(pre: chinese/Sovtek, power: Sovtek 5881, Silicon recs)
-Recto RevG Schumacher transf.(pre: Chinese/Sovtek, power: JJ 6L6, silicon recs)
-Recto RevF Schumacher/TAD transf. (pre: Chinese, power: =C= 6L6, silicon recs)
-VHT Pittbull Ultralead (pre: Chinese/JJ , power: Sovtek KT88)
-6505/5150 (pre: Chinese/JJ, power: =C= 6L6)
-EVH 5150 III (whatever the stock tubes are)
-Krank Krankenstein+ (pre: JJ/Sovtek/chinese, power: Sovtek 6550)
-H&K Coreblade (whatever the stock tubes are - EL34)

this aren't all of my amps but I just couldn't be arsed to do any more....
I just wanted to learn my new bit of gear...and found out I'm loving it

shootout 2010

also....I didn't plan this to become this sort of comparison, so the volumes of these clips aren't equal...bear that in mind and use your ears

yeah, it's just like a bigger and more 3d version of the 5150, isn't it?

I hear trademarks of the Mesa sound as well (namely thick, juicy low mids). On the clips it sounds perhaps a bit more scooped than I'd run it, but they just sound so mean to me.

There is a local death/grind band that has a dude that plays an Uber and their other guy plays a 5150. The uber just growls, man. His Uber is a Rev. green, though.

I hear trademarks of the Mesa sound as well (namely thick, juicy low mids). On the clips it sounds perhaps a bit more scooped than I'd run it, but they just sound so mean to me.

There is a local death/grind band that has a dude that plays an Uber and their other guy plays a 5150. The uber just growls, man. His Uber is a Rev. green, though.

yes, you're right..could have used some more mids and it DOES also have Recto characteristics.

Rev2=green

In order of my 3 top favorites...

Recto
Bogner

Sansamp was really bad in comparison.

The 5150 sounds so good to my ears in this shootout.

Really nice and simple shootout Lasse, thank you!

We had an Über for some time at the studio and whenever I played through it, it just reminded me of a bastard child between a Fiddy and a Recto. What more do you want...

Argh, I love my 6505+, but when I bought it, I had an offer to buy a brand new 5150 III for 1100€ (because of a minimal scratch at the front), and didn't choose it because at that time, nobody in any forum had posted a sample of the amp, plus I had too few experience with amps / recording in general to be able to tell if the amp was good or not.. damn it :D

Man, I'm not sure why so many guys on here like the Uber so much. The Rev Blue I had was really fuzzy sounding, had mediocre cleans, the clean channel was way quieter than lead channel and hard to match volumes with, the presence controlled the mids in a really weird way... like more of a contour knob than a presence knob... just didn't like it it very much. I'd take 5150 anyday, and 5150 III for similar sound with way more versatility...

Strange. Krank and recto sounds like as for similar tastes .But Krank in this shootout a step bold further. My favorites are 5150 and Krank .Thanks a lot Lasse.

Man, I'm not sure why so many guys on here like the Uber so much. The Rev Blue I had was really fuzzy sounding, had mediocre cleans, the clean channel was way quieter than lead channel and hard to match volumes with, the presence controlled the mids in a really weird way... like more of a contour knob than a presence knob... just didn't like it it very much. I'd take 5150 anyday, and 5150 III for similar sound with way more versatility...

Joshua, the rev blue is different to the rev green and the twin jet. Bogner changed the lead channel design when transitioning from the rev green to the rev blue and made it brighter and tighter but damaged the beauty of the tone. The twin jet has the same lead channel circuit as the rev blue but they added a master presence control so now the presence and mids can be controlled independently and also the twin jet has KT88's instead of EL34.

Regarding the shootout, the krank sounds best and I dont like the pitbull and I dont like the coreblade.