HighGainer shootout 2010

Man, I'm not sure why so many guys on here like the Uber so much. The Rev Blue I had was really fuzzy sounding, had mediocre cleans, the clean channel was way quieter than lead channel and hard to match volumes with, the presence controlled the mids in a really weird way... like more of a contour knob than a presence knob... just didn't like it it very much. I'd take 5150 anyday, and 5150 III for similar sound with way more versatility...

you're right about the clean/volumes of the channels...but that's not what I buy an uber for ;)

you're also right about the presence...it's just a second mid pot. and that's what I LOVE about it....with those two knobs I can dial in the perfect combination of low and high mids.
the name of the pot might be confusing but the functionality is awesome.

I don't know the Rev blue though, it's supposed to sound quite a bit different....my Rev2 with KT88 slays pretty much everything I've heard before

Damn you Lasse, you never fail with awesome tones!

people like you (and a select few) on this forum is what made me start micing amps instead of using POD

So I must say, Thank you :)

Lasse, I am in laptop speakers atm so i dont have the change to listen to this, but i have a question. I know the presence pot on the Uber works kinda like a 2nd mid pot. Is there anything that control the hi treble, just like a regular presence, or the uber presence has a wide Q so it pick ups stuff from the mid range to the hi end ?

Thank you Lasse for taking the time :)

A question. The 5150 III, is it the fender EVH 5150 ??

The first 5 amps sounds very similar, just a small character change for each. Krankenstein sounds very scoped, but will probably blend perfectly with 5150. Liked the Recto over Krankenstein though.

But i agree 5150 III was the best sounding, had a little bit more meat then the 5150

Cool post and thanks again !!!

both 5150s win for me
I'm surprised that these can compete easily with other amps that cost a lot more

Damn shootout, so much GAS right now :lol:

Listen only high rated 5150iii and lowest rated hughes on blind test. Which one do you prefer guys? For me 5150 iii is a gas. Still peavey 5150 and Krank works for me after a day.