Rectos: RevF (Schumacher) vs RevG (Schumacher) vs RevG (Mercury Mag)

your favourite?

• Total voters
wow, number two is the one I like the least for recording (the most for live use though).

I LOVE1, it's the tightest most open, 3d and organic sounding one out of the bunch.
3 is a close second for me, love it for the smoothness.

anyways, here's what's what:

1: RevF Head (Schumacher)
2: RevG Head (Schumacher)
3: RevG Rackmount Recto (Mercury Magnetics)

I really think these clips show the difference between RevF and RevG quite well, F is more open and organic, F a bit fatter and smoother.

then the MM put another bit of fatness and chunkyness on top of that

Really interesting to see I always pick up rev F over rev G on your clip.
Time for me to add a rev F at home probably:lol:

@Jeff: if your head is a rev G look on tranny for serial num. For all other revision (C,D,E,F), of course you have it

just gave these clips a listen again.
I'm not so sure anymore which one I prefer...I do like them all but I'm not sure which one I like best...
guess I'm gonna have to do another shootout....this time with pics (3 blackface rectos=sex)

The number 1 is the best sounding. Soory for my ignorance but... Rectos: RevF (Schumacher) vs RevG (Schumacher) vs RevG (Mercury Mag) are modded amps? Tube combinations?

I really liked 1. Thought it would work best in a mix. It seemed slightly tighter and like it would cut through a better than the others. Number 3 seemed kind of distant.

I seem to have missed this poll 2 years ago.

I liked 2 best, since to me it was the perfect balance between everything. I thought it sounded a bit more open than 3, and a bit thicker than 1. All 3 sound absolutely amazing though. I'd wish my reamps sounded that good... makes me want to experiment and practice more with my rig, so that's good :)

I liked 2 best, since to me it was the perfect balance between everything. I thought it sounded a bit more open than 3, and a bit thicker than 1. All 3 sound absolutely amazing though.

I agree 100%. I think I need to get one of those revG heads...

Make sure you get one with the Schumacher trannies then!

Well, yeah, good point. I didn't really think about that and now that I read a little bit more on the topic it seems to be a bit of a lottery whether a RevG Recto would have one of those. Seems not even the serial number will help me find out in advance (e.g. when buying on ebay ). So now I am wondering - how would a RevG with a non-Schumacher tranny sound compared to a RevG WITH the Schumacher?

Also, now listening to your clips a few more times, I really dig the RevF as well... and it might sit even better in the mix. So maybe it'd be the "safer" route to get one of those if I can find one? (I could really kick myself for having missed a cheap one on German ebay a few days ago... 1010 Euros!)

2 for me.
1 has more presence and looser bass.
2 had bigger mids and tighter bass while not being too present.
3 has too much bass.