HighGainer shootout 2010

5150 and Recto combined are the mega tone for me. If I had to choose one it's the 5150.

Shogger

Lasse do you mind me asking which version of the recto is that?

I have the racktifier but its still pretty new to me didnt get the chance to record it yet hope i can get som similar sounds awesome.

Also when you say mesa cab is it the oversized one?

Awesome tones Lasse. I like the Recto and Bogner a lot, but to be honest, I could happily have most of them and be 100% happy.

thanks.
Red channel hi input MEsa cab.
=C= in the poweramp and a cobination of chinese and JJ in the preamp

Thanks, Lasse!

Turns out, I had a set of =C= kicking around... so I pulled my JJ tubes out of my 5150's power section & dropped in the =C=, and it went from "Difficult" to "Damn Sexy!" Even on my Mesa cab, which has been tough to get sounding right.

I originally had the =C= in my Recto... never tried them in a 5150 before. Great tip!

I owe you one, dude. :headbang:

Thanks, Lasse!

Turns out, I had a set of =C= kicking around... so I pulled my JJ tubes out of my 5150's power section & dropped in the =C=, and it went from "Difficult" to "Damn Sexy!" Even on my Mesa cab, which has been tough to get sounding right.

I originally had the =C= in my Recto... never tried them in a 5150 before. Great tip!

I have never tried the winged C's before. Mostly JJ's, should give em a try!

PS: did the recto have these tubes in the power section as well?? where do you guys buy the =C's from? (sorry about all the questions :saint:)

Thanks, Lasse!

nah, you owe me nothing.
no tube beats =C= for the powersection, they're just the fucking best

I think the 5150 nails the KSE tone better, but I also really liked the Recto's character as well.

I also liked the Krank and the Uber.

Thanks for the shootout, Lasse!

thanks for the tip Lasee, never tried them.

Glenn and XES thank you guys!!!!!! will be my next purchase!!

What about the JJ's by the way which ones are you guys using for the pre section (high gain, high gain/low output, etc etc)

I want to retube my rackto since i got it used so im happy i read this thread.

k.....new folder up (same link).

-Bogner Überschall Rev2(pre: chinese, power: =C= KT88)
-Rackto RevG Mercury Magn. transf(pre: chinese/Sovtek, power: Sovtek 5881, Silicon recs)
-Recto RevG Schumacher transf.(pre: Chinese/Sovtek, power: JJ 6L6, silicon recs)
-Recto RevF Schumacher/TAD transf. (pre: Chinese, power: =C= 6L6, silicon recs)
-VHT Pittbull Ultralead (pre: Chinese/JJ , power: Sovtek KT88)
-6505/5150 (pre: Chinese/JJ, power: =C= 6L6)
-EVH 5150 III (whatever the stock tubes are)
-Krank Krankenstein+ (pre: JJ/Sovtek/chinese, power: Sovtek 6550)
-H&K Coreblade (whatever the stock tubes are - EL34)

only doubletracked this time....
damn, I really have to say as much as I love my VHT...it doesn't really cut it on these DIs....at least not by itself, would be perfect for blending though.
(damn, I love Rectos sooo much...fucking brutal amps).

Lasse: can you give a break down on what your tube combos are for those rectos and which tube you use in each position? I'm loving the recto tone you are nailing :kickass:

Lasse: can you give a break down on what your tube combos are for those rectos and which tube you use in each position? I'm loving the recto tone you are nailing :kickass:

I definitely prefer =C= in the power section.
for the preamp I like 9th gen chinese as in the RevF, but I'm thinking about putting some tung-sol and/or JJ in there to tame the brightness of the chinese tubes a bit.
Only one or two though, the rest will remain chinese.

the RevG will get =C= soon also, although JJs aren't bad at all in the poweramp of a recto (don't like them in 5150s though).
I usually hate Sovtek tubes, they just sound dark and lifeless compared to =C=...but I don't have the money atm to replace them in those amps that are running them atm