Rectos: RevF (Schumacher) vs RevG (Schumacher) vs RevG (Mercury Mag)

your favourite?

• Total voters

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
Yo, I've just recorded a little sample-clip through my main 3 Rectifiers

I thought you might be interested in hearing it yourselves, the dials were the same on all the clips of course, EVERTHING at noon but the Master (9:00).

Tubes were rather similar also (chinese in v1 and mixture of Tung Sol and chinese in v2-v5, Poweramp: =C= in the RevF and Rackto and Sovtek 5881 in the RevG).

the amps are:

- RevG Dual Rectifier with Schumacher transformers
- RevG Rackmount Dual Rectifier with Mercury Magnetics transformers
- RevF Dual Rectifier with Schumacher transformers

here are the clips (random order):

of course no post-processing on these clips...just a single sm57 in front of the v30 in a mesa recto cab

tell me which one you like best and why....I'll later tell you which clip belongs to which amp

Number 2 is my fav.

2 combines the best of the others, deep and cutty enough.

1 lacks deepness and 3 is a tad too bassy, imo is 2 the best balanced one.

2, for shizzles!

Are the Schumacher transformers upgrades, or is that what comes stock on the 2ch's?

Schumacher transformer are the stock (holy grail) transformer;)
Come with rev C,D,E,F and some G like Lasse revG or mine:D

Edit: @ Jeff:some info for you here

Hmmm....

1 is a bit thinner, but clearer and maybe more "mix ready"?

2 is really good, has the cut and clarity of 1 but with a bigger low end. (would this just end up getting masked by the bass guitar in a mix though?)

3 is pretty similar to 2, but doesn't quite have the same cut/clarity as the others.

My vote is going for 2, but to be honest they're all awesome.

wow, number two is the one I like the least for recording (the most for live use though).

I LOVE1, it's the tightest most open, 3d and organic sounding one out of the bunch.
3 is a close second for me, love it for the smoothness.

anyways, here's what's what:

1: RevF Head (Schumacher)
2: RevG Head (Schumacher)
3: RevG Rackmount Recto (Mercury Magnetics)

I really think these clips show the difference between RevF and RevG quite well, F is more open and organic, F a bit fatter and smoother.

then the MM put another bit of fatness and chunkyness on top of that

Would it make a huge(or audible) change to put a MM in one of the Schumacher Rectos?

Do they really sound more chunky?

Btw, I was shure that 3 is the Rackto, he sounded everytime chunkier and smoother.

1 and 2 sound a little anemic compared to 3,
maybe if the gain on 1 was a smidge higher itd be a better match and i'd prefer that.
But i think 3 is the most agressive

wow, number two is the one I like the least for recording (the most for live use though).

I LOVE1, it's the tightest most open, 3d and organic sounding one out of the bunch.
3 is a close second for me, love it for the smoothness.

Exactly what I was thinking which is why I picked 1 too. The thing about 2 is I don't know how well it would sound in a mix. 1 just has the cut/bite that tells the listener "Hey asswipe, we have loud fucking guitars in this band!"

Cool to see the diff between the F and G. Thanks for posting this.