HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ALBUMS

Just out of curiosity NFU, do you like Lord Belial? i think they have something quite cool going for them, not straightforward death/black but quite a bit of melody in a lot of the riffs.

away from metal theres an aussie band that i dont know how many people here would have heard of. their names silverchair. their best album would be either diorama or frogstomp. daniel johns the singer and vocalist wrote one of the songs (cant remember which off the top of my head) when he was in yr 9. thats 14 or 15 years old. its absolutely incredible.

True, silverchair i used love quite a long time ago. But unfortunatley as i got older i started realise, that the songs they had never really sounded like their own. They always used to be in the range of Nirvana, Pearl jam and in some of the softer songs, the beatles. Its just none of their songs sounded like it was their idea. But someone elses, done slightly different.

no, but silverchair are very big here and are basically like popstars; the media carries on about them like they are. they have had a lot of ups and downs in recent years which makes me think of them like a soap opera.

nah it doesnt bother me... i find their music to be great and if i can get other people to listen to them and like them then awesome. i do agree about the popstar thing and the aussie media does carry on about them. but that doesnt change their music.

i will agree that they have made some good songs over the years. cemetary is deffinately a fine piece of music and my favourite of theirs. but thats not saying too much, i cant say im a fan

Not sure if they've been mentioned here yet, but two of my favourites...

Raison D'etre - The Empty Hollow Unfolds
Blut Aus Nord - Thematic Emanation of Archetypal Multiplicity (although this one does tend to drone on a bit... it's worth it for just the first two tracks alone).

Pethical said:
i will agree that they have made some good songs over the years. cemetary is deffinately a fine piece of music and my favourite of theirs. but thats not saying too much, i cant say im a fan

yeah well im not a huge fan, but i do think theyre talented and make some great stuff.

My dad thought I listened to heavy metal music like... 'Silverchair', I was like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :puke: . I showed him the Lamentations DVD last week and he liked their guitars and tried to air drum along with Lopez, quite the funniness.

Anyways, I recommend:
Vader - The Art of War EP - My drummer friends all love this EP and my friend's cousin knows the band well. It's short but brutal with intelligible death vocals.:heh:

Aphex Twin - Richard D. James - Really interesting electronic with all sorts of crazy noises, very fun listen especially under the influence of anything.

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People - A recent find of mine, the band consists of many members and have very dense instrumental stuff alongside cheerful poppy elements and such. The track "Stars and Sons" has awesome clapping.

Massive Attack - Mezzanine - A definative Trip-hop album, very dark and moody. Checkout 'Dissolved Girl' which was used in The Matrix film.

Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up - This is basically one long song divided into four parts, Pat Metheny is an amazing guitarist and his team of Jazz musicians are extremely good at making comfortable and relaxing Jazz Fusion music.

Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun - Icelandic Post Rock group who have a very dreamy relaxing sound. The lead vocals are very high and remind me of Enya songs sung by a chipmunk.

Anything by Karol Szymanowski
OPETH - Morningrise and Blackwater Park
TOOL - Lateralus and Aenema
Portishead - Dummy
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E
Lhasa de Sela - The Living Road
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Depeche Mode-Playing the Angel
Sonic Youth-Daydream Nation
Switchblade Symphony-Serpentine Gallery
Boards Of Canada- Music Has The Right To Music
65daysofstatic-One Time For All
Deftones-Deftones (In your face nu-metal fans)

senyctone said:
Anything by Karol Szymanowski
OPETH - Morningrise and Blackwater Park
I do agree!

TOOL - Lateralus and Aenema Not my cup of tea, haven't heard alot of thier material!

Portishead - Dummy
Meh.

----------------------------------------Downhill from here, IMO
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E
Lhasa de Sela - The Living Road
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Depeche Mode-Playing the Angel
Sonic Youth-Daydream Nation
Switchblade Symphony-Serpentine Gallery
Boards Of Canada- Music Has The Right To Music
65daysofstatic-One Time For All
Deftones-Deftones (In your face nu-metal fans)
You have not tread very far if this is your favorite albums you have come across.:rolleyes:

Pethical said:
Just out of curiosity NFU, do you like Lord Belial? i think they have something quite cool going for them, not straightforward death/black but quite a bit of melody in a lot of the riffs.

lord belial isnt that great to me. they do have melody, but theyre really not doing anything a lot of bands werent doing better, and those melodies are kind lame anyway. however i liked that they attempted to include flute into some of their songs, even if it wasnt very interesting flute work.

Don Corleone said:
he has some great names up there, though.

and finally someone else who cares about the last depeche mode album...i found it stunning!

i like it a LOT. the songs 'precious', 'nothing's impossible' and 'the darkest star' are really good. 'lillian' is good too. :)