HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ALBUMS

Benighted1 said:
Anyone heard of an album by Frank Zappa called "shutup and play the guitar" or something?

Whats it like?
i have it, it's a 3-disc set just of guitar solos taken from live performances. since zappa is easily one of the best electric rock guitarists in history, needless to say it slays

EDIT: btw it's called shut up 'n' play yer guitar

B0009PLQYK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"DEW-SCENTED are the leaders of a new breed of Thrash Metal bands: always one step ahead, they combine oldschool brutality with fierce growls and riffing deeply rooted in the Death Metal genre. With their latest effort "Issue VI" DEW-SCENTED are back to break some necks!

Once again fuelled by an aggressive yet crystal-clear production courtsey of living legend Andy Classen (DIE APOKALYPTISCHEN REITER, DISBELIEF), "Issue VI" is every ounce the album that will make DEW-SCENTED fans rejoice. The sheer rage and complex instrumental arrangements of the band (that have already become a trademark) firmly grip the listener by the throat throughout the whole of the 12 new songs. Titles like "Turn To Ash" or "Bled Dry" are the musical equivalent of a violent wrecking impact. Leif Jensen's fierce vocals combined with pounding drums and massive riff'ing are guaranteed to turn every moshpit into a slaughterhouse...."

Great thrash/death from Germany.

Cocteau Twins - Treasures / Four-Calendar Cafe / Milk & Kisses / Garlands
Kayo Dot - Choirs Of The Eye
Esoteric - Metamorphogenesis
Kraftwerk - Electric Cafe / Computer World
Dan Swanö - Moontower
The Smiths - (the whole catalogue)
The Dillinger Escapa Plan - Calculating Infinity / Under The Running Board
Amorphis - An Universum
Slayer - Undisputed Attitude

Tool - Aenima, Lateralus
Cradle of Filth - Dusk and her Embrace, Midian, Cruelty and the Beast
DreamTheater - Images and Words, Scenes from a Memory
Symphony X - The Odyssey, V
Gordian Knot - Gordian Knot

I'll post some more later but those are the first that came to my mind.

Asimis said:
Cradle of Filth - Dusk and her Embrace, Midian, Cruelty and the Beast
Damnation and day is very underrated, it owns Midian and Cruelty which are "just" good. DAD has adult concept and brilliant compositions.
just MO

Fredy_Brown said:
Damnation and day is very underrated, it owns Midian and Cruelty which are "just" good. DAD has adult concept and brilliant compositions.
just MO

I love all CoF albums equally so it is hard for me to pick some to recommend. I just listed the first ones that popped into my head. If it were for me I would say "any". I agree too that Damnation is very underrated, it is a very powerful album overall. Much better than what Dimmu did with an orchestra in Puritanical.

Talking about that, I have not listened to Damnation in my new 5.1. surround speakers. heh..:headbang:

BANNEDadrian said:
i have it, it's a 3-disc set just of guitar solos taken from live performances. since zappa is easily one of the best electric rock guitarists in history, needless to say it slays

EDIT: btw it's called shut up 'n' play yer guitar

Not a good idea to start on that one though (Guitar is also a no-no for beginners). I would suggest Hot Rats, Over-nite Sensation, Apostrophe, or Sheik Yerbouti for a first timer.

affinityband said:
DAAD is not underated, it sounds just like a melodic death band with all the satanic Black metal stuff. their songs seem longer than they are.
Not true, just listen to it more, it will grow on you...like other albums will start to bore you.

Asimis said:
Much better than what Dimmu did with an orchestra in Puritanical.
Well this is a metter of opinion, I like PEM more.

Highly recommended albums, you say? Here's a few of my favourites:
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory; Train of Thought; Octavarium (the last song is amazing)
Biomechanical - Empires of the Worlds
Extol - Undeceived (here's a little known band who I'm sure you will like - this album is good for all death metal fans)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (prog classic...enough said)
Led Zeppelin - Led Zep VI

...I know it's dumb to recommend Opeth on the Opeth forum, but Ghost Reveries & Blackwater Park really deserve a mention.

profskett said:
Highly recommended albums, you say? Here's a few of my favourites:
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory; Train of Thought; Octavarium (the last song is amazing)
Biomechanical - Empires of the Worlds
Extol - Undeceived (here's a little known band who I'm sure you will like - this album is good for all death metal fans)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (prog classic...enough said)
Led Zeppelin - Led Zep VI

...I know it's dumb to recommend Opeth on the Opeth forum, but Ghost Reveries & Blackwater Park really deserve a mention.

What sort of music do Extol play?
I've seen a few people mention them now