Hipster Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stormwatch said:
Weren't you banned along with all those other twats on SOT?

No and I've never even done anything to warrant being banned, you fucking cocksucker. Anyway, you're just another fucking stupid retard like 90% of the people who post on this board now so fuck off.

Cythraul said:
No and I've never even done anything to warrant being banned, you fucking cocksucker. Anyway, you're just another fucking stupid retard like 90% of the people who post on this board now so fuck off.

Ooohhh! Hit a nerve there did I?! :cry: :loco:

ANd I agree, I AM another stupid retard - but I do hope you're including yourself in that 90% there. You're no better than the rest of us dicks, and in fact, since you don't seem to realise the fact, I'd suggest you're even worse.

:cry:

Big baby.

No, you did not hit a nerve; You're just fucking annoying. Just shut the fuck up.

Stormwatch said:
Right sir.

:cry:

:lol:

What the fuck are you doing anyway? Why are you responding to me? Do you normally go around lashing out at people with moronic remarks completely unprovoked? Are you fucking retarded? Just fucking kill yourself.

Interesting article. Years ago I read that the guy from the Mountain Goats was a pretty serious black metal fan.

When I first started getting back into metal, almost ten years ago now, I was coming from a punk/indie perspective, and it was definitely from an ironic place: rediscovering Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and Motley Crue as just funny, and punk rock. Slowly, though, that "real metal" just kept rising in me, until in a few short years I had pretty much come full circle, being mostly into "real" metal, and without a trace (well, hardly a trace) of irony. I can't say I'm very intrigued by the prospect of Wolfmother and shit, though.

Spectacular Views said:
But what is someone who already has a strong aversion to cheesiness going to do when they discover metal? Rather than bother to find the non-cheesy core of the music, they're likely to reject it entirely. "Hipster metal" therefore appeals to hipsters by remaining free of the cheesy aesthetics from the outset (Mastodon, Isis) or exploiting those aesthetics in an ironic fashion (Sunn O)))). From here, hipsters may begin to appreciate more aesthetically cheesy metal, but will always claim their appreciation to be irony, which is something "real" metalheads resent. However, I don't think it's their appreciation for the music that is really ironic. The "ironic" method is simply a way of expressing appreciation for the music while distancing oneself from the aesthetic associated with it.

Here's the basic problem: 'cheesiness' isn't some objectively defined absolute quality, it's something that is relatively positioned within a given subjective perspective. 'Cheesy' is one of those discursive shortcuts that people use when they encounter something that they aren't able to process within their value set - it's a way of dismissing something without having to engage with ideas that induce discomfort.

You talk about hipsters using irony to distance themselves from the aesthetics of the music, but the truth is actually the inverse. Irony and 'hipster' metal allow them to enjoy music that is aesthetically like metal, but doesn't raise any of the troubling issues or explore those uncomfortable ideas. In a very real sense, Mastadon isn't terribly far from Poison: it's just marketed to a different demographic.

MasterOLightning said:
It seems like the bands in this group are more defined by what they are not rather than what they are. Correct?

Well, it probably is easier to spot by what it lacks (sincerity, any real ideas, the desire to express any authentic experience) than by what it possesses (a slickly marketed image, a smarmy self-awareness, and, typically, the backing of a label that specializes in the above).

hi falco(?)

I think your problem is the assumption that much of metal is really presenting any challenging ideas; as much as you may want to attach artistic relevance to, say, the lyrics of early Carcass or Suffocation (and yes I know lyrics aren't the only vessel for meaning in music but just for example), in my view there isn't anything there; it's just juvenile silliness. Even for bands which you may be able to argue do genuinely present real ideas in their work, say, Burzum, you claim that a hipster's distaste for the work is based on discomfort with rather than dismissal of the ideas contained within, which may be true in some situations, but in my view not all of them.

You say "hipster metal" lacks "any real ideas", but I assume this is coming from a perspective where the only ideas fit for discussion in good art are universally, eternally transcendent truths. I don't buy that, so.

Spectacular Views said:
hi falco(?)

Rock me Amadeus?

I think your problem is the assumption that much of metal is really presenting any challenging ideas;

Most metal 'artists' are up to the same thing that most 'artists' in any genre are up to: repeating, recycling and regurgitating what more creative people have already done.

For this reason, I don't see much sense in paying attention to what 'most bands' in any genre are doing. What makes sense is paying attention to the ones that matter.

as much as you may want to attach artistic relevance to, say, the lyrics of early Carcass or Suffocation (and yes I know lyrics aren't the only vessel for meaning in music but just for example), in my view there isn't anything there; it's just juvenile silliness.

You are always entitled to be wrong, don't let me stand in the way of you exercising your freedom as an induhvidual.

You are right, however, to point to the superficiality of reading music through lyrics - lyrics can form an interpretive guide or a form of modifier, but the primary content of music lies in...the music.

Even for bands which you may be able to argue do genuinely present real ideas in their work, say, Burzum, you claim that a hipster's distaste for the work is based on discomfort with rather than dismissal of the ideas contained within, which may be true in some situations, but in my view not all of them.

No, I'm saying that when people are able to engage with ideas honestly and articulately - without regard to belief or non-belief - they don't address those ideas with verbal copouts like "cheesy." The latter is fundamentally an admission that you don't like it, you don't get it, and you're going to hide behind an inane 'criticism' that can't possibly be gainsaid because it doesn't actually mean anything.

You say "hipster metal" lacks "any real ideas", but I assume this is coming from a perspective where the only ideas fit for discussion in good art are universally, eternally transcendent truths. I don't buy that, so.

It's not even a question of universal ideals, though it needs to be acknowledged that some ideas are simply better than others (which is why Bach is still celebrated, but five years down the road, no one remembers The Drowning Pool). Once you scrape away the images the hipster bands have cloaked themselves in, what are you left with? Generic retro-metal. "But we don't take it seriously, so it's ironic, see?" As if irony were in and of itself a sufficient reason-to-be.

FAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.