HoM - Brooklyn, NY - July 24th '04

I'll tell her next week man, unless I profess my love first. Actually I'm more into the bassist. :D

Well where do I begin???

First of all, I got your record, Ali. You can just hide 12 bucks in between the next crappy promos you send me. :D I'll send it off shortly.

Anyway, yes Sheie is quite hot. I talked with her a good 20 minutes. Yes, she remembered you. Said you were one sexy bitch. :) Not really, but you can imagine what it'd be like if she did... HoM are without a doubt some of the coolest motherfuckers I've met, especially John. We talked for a long time just about music, the internet, beer, etc. He said a lot of good things about the 'zine and promised me that he would stop by the forum when the tour was done (and also professing his frustration at not being able to get online for so long due to touring!). However, he really won my soul when he mentioned Genesis' "Nursery Cryme" as an influence!

On to the show... holy shit! Despite a shitty mic sound (which caused the audience to barely even hear the vocals), the band fucking slayed. Scalzi's improvizations were pure lead guitar wankery, but it was fucking awesome. Chewy also impressed me bigtime. I coud help but imagine the band touring with a bigger band and getting to play in clubs with a decent set-up. The Hammond organ ruled, so did the old-ass Marshall amps. Fuck, everything ruled... The two friends I brought with me had never heard the band (one doesn't even like metal), but they were blown away and begging me afterwards to make them CD-Rs of the two albums.

All in all, it was about a perfect night. Great performance, got to talk with the band for hours, got my record signed by all the members in the band (seeing their shocked expressions when I asked them for autogrpahs were priceless, especially Sheie's), my friends and I got a picture with John for a local magazine, got my 2 records, a CD of "The Bastard", Fall of the Bastards' second album on vinyl, and a "Bastard" longsleeve (man... that's a lot of bastards!).

After the show we celebrated by smoking weed, listening to "The Bastard" and playing Super Mario.

Overall: great band, great show, great people, a great night.

I must say everytime I realize that I suck I feel happy. Then a little hungry, and sometimes itchy.

Yes, she remembered you. Said you were one sexy bitch. :) Not really, but you can imagine what it'd be like if she did.
Ok .. that was just plain cruel

The two friends I brought with me had never heard the band (one doesn't even like metal), but they were blown away and begging me afterwards to make them CD-Rs of the two albums.
That's the same thing that happened with my friend that I brought along ... instant fan.

Great performance, got to talk with the band for hours, got my record signed by all the members in the band (seeing their shocked expressions when I asked them for autogrpahs were priceless, especially Sheie's),
This band is destined for something huge under the right management, so those might be worht something one day

Black Winter Day said:
However, he really won my soul when he mentioned Genesis' "Nursery Cryme" as an influence!
I don't know whether the stars are aligned or something, but the other day I was in Borders bookshop and they were selling Nursery Cryme for $7 so I picked it up (especially after all your Genesis raving reminding me how much I love Peter Gabriel).

Overall: great band, great show, great people, a great night.
My work here is done. :kickass:

JayKeeley said:
I don't know whether the stars are aligned or something, but the other day I was in Borders bookshop and they were selling Nursery Cryme for $7 so I picked it up (especially after all your Genesis raving reminding me how much I love Peter Gabriel).
Great! "The Musical Box" and "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" are pure metal. Let me know what you think of it.

Black Winter Day said:
Great! "The Musical Box" and "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" are pure metal. Let me know what you think of it.
Woah, hahaha, listening to the breakout improv jams in "The Musical Box" - they must have been listening to this before writing some of The August Engine.

God, I love that song. Especially the finale ("Why don't you touch me, touch me?", pure desperate emotion) and the little harmonized Hackett solo at the end. And the whole buildup to the song... Better than "Stairway to Heaven". Yes, that was blasphemy and I'm highly aware of it.

There's a lot of songs better than Stairway, many of them other Zep tunes. It still kicks ass though.

:kickass: <-- he says "the bustle in my hedgerow kicks my ass YEAH!!!"

I love the song... I only wish that classic rock radio hadn't run it into the ground. Every time I go to work out (about every day), it's playing at the rec center, along with Yes' "Roundabout" (which I am also getting a bit tired of). Oh yeah, and Hall and Oates (who RULE!!!).

I just bought a ticket for the Hammers show in San Francisco on August 11th, last show of the tour. Who wants to join me?

mqmapgend

I'll be in New York two weeks later. Heehee, The August Engine is floored. :heh:

that hideously terrible pun can ONLY be used in this thread

JayKeeley said:
Good litmus test: a friend of mine, Dave, goes to all the shows and I wasn't expecting to see him there... Anyway, he's a huge death/doom fan,

Oi! Less of the 'huge'!

Dave