Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dushan/ Off topic:

I understand where you are coming from on Alexander. Yes, there are but a few primary sources for the life of Alexander like Curtius Rufus, and Plutarch, and they were written hundreds of years after his great life. However, there are innumerable secondary sources and allusions to Alexander in the rest of Roman and Greek sources from his death on. Most, if not all, all portray roughly the same picture.

As for needing to make Alexander more Greek, I would also dispute this claim. I was at Vergina of (Bervina in Greek spelling) last year, and took in first hand the tomb of his father Phillip, and the tomb of Alexander's son. The art and architecture of the tombs is clearly hellenic--the Macedonians were clearly if not totally Hellenized, then almost totally hellenized. SO i see no reason why they wouldnt have practiced Greek customs, even if they were somewhat uncivilized by Greek standards. I also went to his birthplace in Pella which is close by, but the ruins to that palace are quite unimpressive.

I believe that homosexuality is just a natural part of the planet to prevent overpopulation, and is evident in all species.

I also think that all homosexuals and only homosexuals should be allowed in the army. They're expendable and don't have wives and their parents hate them. Plus, they'd feel like they finally belong somewhere. Homos could be heroes! Hurray!

-Vince

Dushan S said:
Most of people (at least the sane ones) have some doubts and insecurities about themselves. They can sometimes identify with someone apparently all-perfect, but they can also be repulsive towards such a leader, because it makes them feel bed, they want leader that will be human and not so perfect, someone that they can understand and relate to.

Most people would also prefer free beer to doing something about the problems of their country. You want to indulge that, too?

DEMOCRACY IS FOR MORONS

i must say im against homosexuality at all . in our days it seems to be almost cool to say that you once slept with another girl . especially in the "metal" scene it seems to be . i must shake my head in complete horror . why there is no law against it in austria i really wonder . and i dont even believe that its natural only . it would mean people ever since were homosexual as well and may only hided it cause back in time they wouldve may or surely get killed for sleeping with a man or in womans case with a woman . argh ! no , no it is that in our days peoples brains arent too correct sometimes and since its allowed and "cool" everybody must follow this example . i offend any of them , i wouldnt shake their hands even . i think it is a big sin to do so . we must not , shall not joke about like that . even it causes sickness ! like because of homosexuals more people get sick of Aids and Hepatitis . well drug addicted do so as well but also to them i wont say even a single word , well maybe only : die once of it !
some people may say that opinion is smallminded , but believe it is not like that . it is more that its intelligent , you spoil yourself with it , you may even wont have children , you may only get aids and die . i must say i hate this people and i dont care if that fits in this "new tolerant view of life" too many people have in our days .i will not tolerate it .

EvilVince said:
I believe that homosexuality is just a natural part of the planet
I don't. Queering don't make the world work. Sure, some people have accepted them, but that dosen't mean a large part of the world dosen't still hate them, because they do. I find it funny when there is some fruitcake on TV saying there has been "progress" in combating homophobia, because there hasn't, and if there has, it's only in very small quanitites. Like it or not, most of the world still hates queers.

Oblivious Maximus said:
I don't. Queering don't make the world work. Sure, some people have accepted them, but that dosen't mean a large part of the world dosen't still hate them, because they do. I find it funny when there is some fruitcake on TV saying there has been "progress" in combating homophobia, because there hasn't, and if there has, it's only in very small quanitites. Like it or not, most of the world still hates queers.

Thats a hell of a conclusion.

I dont see the big issue. Hasnt it been found that 5-10% of animals are homosexual? Homosexuality has been around since the dawn of man, and even if it is found not to be a inheritable genetic trait, I dont see the big issue? If some men prefer other men fine, and the same with women. One has to be pretty insecure to get all pissed of about it.

The real question is how society deals with homosexuality. We have a strange form of acceptance/hatred and intolerance going around. The gays want rights, and most people dont want to give them any. i dont know the answer, but Im sure the way thngs are going, in the next fifty years alot of these issues will be partially solved at least by the government.

Homosexuality has only been an issue for the last couple thousand years (not pointing any fingers...christianity) As far as im concerned we reckon its wrong purely for social reasons, the ancient greeks and romans often engaged in some homosexual activities, let alone were active pederasts.

I'm not saying the main component of why we think homsexuality is wrong is purely social, but what i am attempting to say is that a great deal of it is...so if we look at it like that, then what is our actual problem with it? I mean in 1000 years hetrosexuality could be socially unacceptable outside reproduction, so if we use this example it kinda shows the whole social fear of homosexuality to be a bit shallow.

Thats just my view. One thing i will admit is that i was raised to be homophobic so the thought thats its wrong is deep rooted within me, but logically and socially i cant see any reason for being against homosexuals personally nor them as a demographic.

All in all (in basic terms) love who you want to, fuck who you want...its a personal decision and the government should have fuck all to do with the matter.

Responses are welcome,

cheers,

Derek

I believe homosexuality/bisexuality is biological, either you're born that way or you're not. It just takes some time for the person to realize what orientation they are.

And yes it's possible in the animal kingdom... male bats have the highest rate of homosexuality than any other mammal.

Perhaps its partly biological, but you can't actually rule out social reasons entirely? Swinging too far one way (excuse the bad pun) on the nature/nurture debate is maybe a bit dangerous.

I wouldnt say that there is 100% not a biological cause, but it would be both insulting and going too close to determinsim to accept it as the only cause.

As of just now i'd say our knowledge of the brain is too limited to say its definately a biological root cause that makes people homosexual. Having said that, a biological predisposition towards homosexuality makes alot of sense, but i'd accept it only as a mixture with some social causes before i'd consider it palatable.

cheers,

deek

Final_Product said:
Perhaps its partly biological, but you can't actually rule out social reasons entirely? Swinging too far one way (excuse the bad pun) on the nature/nurture debate is maybe a bit dangerous.

I wouldnt say that there is 100% not a biological cause, but it would be both insulting and going too close to determinsim to accept it as the only cause.

As of just now i'd say our knowledge of the brain is too limited to say its definately a biological root cause that makes people homosexual. Having said that, a biological predisposition towards homosexuality makes alot of sense, but i'd accept it only as a mixture with some social causes before i'd consider it palatable.

cheers,

deek

I don't think it's completley 100% biological, that's the reason it always takes a person a while to realize what their true orientation is, and except it. Excepting it is a big issue for a person, they might feel ashamed of it, that's what I think the social part of it is... being afraid to let people know, being comfortable with yourself.

Yeah, i can see that. I'm not convinced that the only social element is when they decide to realise they are gay and come to terms with it though.

I think theres a more social input into whether someone becomes gay, for example childhood experiences, sexual exploration etc. But i'd agree there is definately some biological tendency towards it.

Derek

Silver Incubus said:
I don't understand why they just don't make a separate system called Gay union or something, that is exactly like marriage, but for gay people. that way it doesn't have to be religious

What do you think a marriage license under the state is, a civil union...

I personally think marriage should be privatized anyway, why does government have any business in it anyway????

Fucking Amen to that. The basic decision of who you wanna be with has became shrouded in paper-work and legal nonsense. It's an insult to personal autonomy to be told you can't marry someone because they are the same gender.

Plus, i'm not convinced getting married is, in itself, the main issue. I think its the RIGHT to get married that is the point.

Oh, what a controversial subject. It's annoying that they need to have Gay Pride parades and complain about their rights and what not. It's not just them that they have disadvantages in society but all of us do.

We are designed to breed and have offspring. So being homosexual is defective therefore unnatural in that sense because they can not do so. But looking at the big picture, some homosexuals are needed so overpopulation does not occur.

well, what I'll say won't confirm anything, but I saw a study where it stated that if you have a gay twin, you have like twice more chances to be gay too..... I don't remember the numbers correctly, so if someone heard about this plz correct me.

I vaguely remember reading something similar. Normal twins had higher risks of developing cancer if their twin did and identical twins had even higher risks if their twin did. If we take homosexuality to have at least some biological causes, then it make some sense.

There's obviously biological causes, but they only make sense as part and parcel of a larger package of causes.

Also...our biology would hint towards a reproductional (?) purpose for us, but that makes us sound like slaves to our bodies. Surely we can take higher pleasures of the mind as important to? In that respect there is nothing strange about homosexuality as if is simply listening to the mind and its purpose rather than the body and its purpose. (hope that made sense)

Status
Not open for further replies.